1 PARA

Aldo

Reaction score
Is it possible to be posted to 1 PARA from training or do you need to serve in 2 or 3 PARA first?

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Rarer than rocking horse shit you’ve got to speak fluently a language they care about for them to take a bloke straight out of the box. They run a two cadres a year and recruit from 2/3 PARA . Cadre contains load of SF SOPs, CQB, tons of live fire/ranges and grizz phys. Also the 2 an 10 miler from P Coy . Mate is there currently and he’s a Lance jack. Big boy rules there

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
If you want to go SFSG focus on getting to battalion first and getting a few decent SJARs under your belt. It’s not a place for the naive!! Speak to blokes with first hand experience and be all over your skills & drills. You can’t be a wet C*nt. You need to be comfortable working in a fast paced adult environment, able to manage multiple tasks and able to work independently with limited direction. No one will hold your hand there. There ops cycle is hardcore and you won’t have much of a social life!
If you are SFSG you are directly supporting UKSF taskings. Do the basics well and you’ll not go far wrong.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
If you want to go SFSG focus on getting to battalion first and getting a few decent SJARs under your belt. It’s not a place for the naive!! Speak to blokes with first hand experience and be all over your skills & drills. If you are SFSG you are directly supporting UKSF taskings and as such you’ve got to be a mature and switched on lad. Do the basics well and you’ll not go far wrong

Apply safety catch before moving :eek:

Aldo

Reaction score
Do you have to be a certain rank to join SFSG

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
My section commander in Depot had just come back from 1 PARA. He oozed professionalism and was all over his CQB. His lessons were literally amazing. He lived for the field.
They are all trained on Hereford’s weapon systems and communication equipment. They do all sorts from balls to wall diversionary attacks to protective cordons and fire support for Hereford. They recruit / run cadre Run twice annually.

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
In 2006 1 PARA was re roled and moved under the command of the Director Special Forces and now sits within UKSF group. 1 PARA was established as the lead unit for the Special Forces Support Group. Approx 70% of SFSG are 1 PARA. Fully integrated with Royal Marines and RAF reg they support the operational needs and ultimately deploy alongside UK Special Forces.

• Deleted by Brixstix
  • Reason: Saw the response earlier in the thread only after posting
Show…

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
1 PARA have two SNCOs who deliver recruit briefs to the rest of the Bns now.

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
Not necessarily no. You shouldn’t think of it like that, waste of time and not how it works. If SF is your ambition then focus on squaring yourself away with all the basics first and get yourself onto a briefing course after a few years of Battalion life. Get some experience under your belt. Don’t underestimate the level of Infantry skills needed to pass their Jungle phase. The more time you can griz it out in the field the better. SFSG is a very busy unit and you’ll not have bags of time to hit the hills to prep. It’s more an insight than preparation. Research patrol Pl and PFPL.

Brixstix

Reaction score
This should probably help @Aldo This got posted on the royalmarines forum by a serving paratrooper. I can’t say whether it’s accurate or not but I’m sure someone who knows will comment.

“Soon as you pass out when you reach battalion, there is roughly 2 selection courses a year. Sometimes you can get on it straight away as a new bloke, or wait longer. It depends if the senior blokes want to go or not. In my experience I have seen most who decide to go. Go on the course and go across on the next available course.”

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
This should probably help @Aldo This got posted on the royalmarines forum by a serving paratrooper. I can’t say whether it’s accurate or not but I’m sure someone who knows will comment.

“Soon as you pass out when you reach battalion, there is roughly 2 selection courses a year. Sometimes you can get on it straight away as a new bloke, or wait longer. It depends if the senior blokes want to go or not. In my experience I have seen most who decide to go. Go on the course and go across on the next available course.”
I’m serving too. We run yearly cadres for Snipers, Signals, Patrols, Machine guns, Anti tanks and Mortars. SFSG, SF & PF is twice a year.

PhysMan

Reaction score
I’m serving too. We run yearly cadres for Snipers, Signals, Patrols, Machine guns, Anti tanks and Mortars. SFSG, SF & PF is twice a year.

Reference not really going from Depot any more, is there any truth that other life experiences can be taken into account? I've worked worldwide for a few years in some wacky countries doing adventure stuff, few languages there too (to a medium level). A serving SFSG lad i know told me "the no-straight-from-depot rule is mainly for new lads fresh off the Estate in Bradford before depot mate, you'll probably come here mega soon with what you've done". However, he's the only person that's ever said that and doesn't actually have any influence in decisions so wondering how gen that might be?

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Reference not really going from Depot any more, is there any truth that other life experiences can be taken into account? I've worked worldwide for a few years in some wacky countries doing adventure stuff, few languages there too (to a medium level). A serving SFSG lad i know told me "the no-straight-from-depot rule is mainly for new lads fresh off the Estate in Bradford before depot mate, you'll probably come here mega soon with what you've done". However, he's the only person that's ever said that and doesn't actually have any influence in decisions so wondering how gen that might be?
Those wishing to apply for SFSG Cadre should follow the instructions in the extant DIN. There is no minimum service requirement but it does state that you’ll need a signed recommendation from your 1 RO. Hence why it’s best to let your boss actually form an opinion of you. Get in and ask via the appropriate channels. If you are green lighted to apply for the cadre go for it.

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
1 Para typically recruit from 2 or 3 Para there are exceptions made if for instance you have a particular skill set, like maybe a rejoiner or transferee has his snipers or medic quals, that they are interested in or maybe you can speak a foreign language. You can go via your CoC and get comms with their RCMO if you think they need to know some relevant skills that aren’t on your training record. You can be adult about it and have a conversation but definitely don’t get cocky. Get all your relevant skills known but don’t overlook the fact you’ll be more useful to them when you build some green experience in there and get some decent SJARs and experience behind you.
Having decent life experience and some language skills is all well in good but useless if you don’t know your section battle drills or can’t maintain your weapons, clothing and equipment in the field. Switched on lads are key to the success on operations. Learn the trade first is my advice. Don’t run before you can walk

Last edited:

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Show maturity and professionalism and work hard. They know what they are looking for. Maturity will definitely help.
It’s good to have a goal to aim towards mate and I say do everything that you can to reach and achieve that goal.But be flexible with it as you might have multiple hoops you’ll end up jumping through first or even deployments that set your plans on hold. Remember as a new Tom you are at the bottom of the pile. We’ve all been there, it’s all part of a the game. When you land into your platoon push yourself to better yourself in all areas as a soldier, which in my eyes is something most Paras do to stay at the top of the game anyway. 1 PARA is the basics done well. There is a former SFSG SNCO on here he might comment