2km run

Dil

Reaction score
Alright lads , what type of runs should I do to get my 2km run time down ? U currently do 4 runs a week where 3 of them are between 3 to 8 miles and 1 run is either sprints , fartlek or intervals .

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Alright lads , what type of runs should I do to get my 2km run time down ? U currently do 4 runs a week where 3 of them are between 3 to 8 miles and 1 run is either sprints , fartlek or intervals .
Sounds like you’re on the right track more or less, throw some hills in there and just work hard at it really mate. I was knocking run times down pretty much just doing what you’re doing and being consistent with it. I’ve tried to break it down on another thread but can’t find it, I’m sure it’s there somewhere. Essentially mate just run hard, stretch/warmup, eat proper and stay hydrated, nothing else to it really. I YouTube’d and googled how-to faster 5ks/ faster mile times/ proper running/breathing techniques/patterns and absorbed all I could and just got out there and legged it.

I’m sure others may give you a more comprehensive run down and how best to progress with it but as it’s been said before, there’s no substitute for hard graft, advice can only help/take you so far, the bits we can’t help you with like pushing through pain/being consistent etc is down to you 👍

Dil

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re on the right track more or less, throw some hills in there and just work hard at it really mate. I was knocking run times down pretty much just doing what you’re doing and being consistent with it. I’ve tried to break it down on another thread but can’t find it, I’m sure it’s there somewhere. Essentially mate just run hard, stretch/warmup, eat proper and stay hydrated, nothing else to it really. I YouTube’d and googled how-to faster 5ks/ faster mile times/ proper running/breathing techniques/patterns and absorbed all I could and just got out there and legged it.

I’m sure others may give you a more comprehensive run down and how best to progress with it but as it’s been said before, there’s no substitute for hard graft, advice can only help/take you so far, the bits we can’t help you with like pushing through pain/being consistent etc is down to you 👍
Thanks mate

smudge67

Reaction score
Your plan looks pretty good. I made the mistake of only training short and fast to improve my 2km time. I didn't see any significant improvement until I started running long and "slow". It's been mentioned before in these forums, but 80/20 training really helped me get my 2km time under 8 minutes and I continue to knock time off it now, hoping to get the sub 07:30 2km soon.

"Elite athletes train around 80 per cent of the time at what we’d call low intensity, and they spend just 20 per cent of their time training hard,"

Dil

Reaction score
Anyone know what the terrain is like at ITC when doing the 2km run ? I have heard it is quite hilly

San Carlos

Reaction score
Anyone know what the terrain is like at ITC when doing the 2km run ? I have heard it is quite hilly
If it’s anything like the route we did on PRAC at Catterick the yes it will have hills mate

San Carlos

Reaction score
Ours was in camp around Vimy barracks which had a big hill near the medical centre if I remember correctly? But have heard from another lad they just did their 2 km out on the training area which is very up and down. Makes you work hard for sub 8.15

San Carlos

Reaction score
Also mate for us the warm up was pretty much 2 km it’s self. The hills aren’t as bad as what you’ll do out on the 4 miler but just work hard

Joe-Singh

Reaction score
Appreciate the info, only have one steep hill will a decent decline in my 2km route, but will work on it,

Dil

Reaction score
Also mate for us the warm up was pretty much 2 km it’s self. The hills aren’t as bad as what you’ll do out on the 4 miler but just work hard
What times would u reccomend getting on the 2km run before going to prac ?

Dil

Reaction score
What times would u reccomend getting on the 2km run before going to prac ?
Of course being under 8:15 , but due to it being hilly it will add on time to the run

Joe-Singh

Reaction score
Of course being under 8:15 , but due to it being hilly it will add on time to the run
Aim to get the best time possible, If you can do 2km in 7:00 a couple of hills added in-between shouldn't be too much of an issue, also expect to do the bleep test later in the day of doing the 2km run, so you'll be a little fatigued from what I've read

Reactions: Dil

Dil

Reaction score
Aim to get the best time possible, If you can do 2km in 7:00 a couple of hills added in-between shouldn't be too much of an issue, also expect to do the bleep test later in the day of doing the 2km run, so you'll be a little fatigued from what I've read
Thanks

Dil

Reaction score
Ours was in camp around Vimy barracks which had a big hill near the medical centre if I remember correctly? But have heard from another lad they just did their 2 km out on the training area which is very up and down. Makes you work hard for sub 8.15
Mate , do u know how much rest you got after Ur warmup 2km run ?

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
@San Carlos do u know if watched are allowed to be worn during the 2km run at prac ?
Normal practice is that you’ll remove watches and wedding bands for PT. You SHOULD know what your sub 8.15 pace feels like so it is important you give it best effort. For training you are allowed a watch but must be plain in nature and it is advisable you don’t get anything too expensive as it will take a battering. You cannot go wrong with a Casio F91W.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Normal practice is that you’ll remove watches and wedding bands for PT. You SHOULD know what your sub 8.15 pace feels like so it is important you give it best effort. For training you are allowed a watch but must be plain in nature and it is advisable you don’t get anything too expensive as it will take a battering. You cannot go wrong with a Casio F91W.
Gshock watches are pretty good too I’ve had mine for about 3 years working in a warehouse that thing is nukeproof 💣