4 para at UNI

Azbo

Reaction score
Hello, Im hoping to apply for the AOSS to fund me through university then join the parachute regiment afterward, as chances for an 18yo non-grad for paras are slim and i think Uni would give me good transferrable skills. I was wondering if while studying at university i could join 4 PARA instead of OTC, or both, as with 4 para ill be able to learn core infantry skills and do p-company, which i believe will aid me on the regimental board for paras at sandhurst, as ill already have experience as a soldier. Some advice/ knowledge would be appreciated

Aldo

Reaction score
Definitely one for the @4 PARA HQ team. But as far as I know you can’t do both 4 PARA and an OTC. If you want to become an Officer with 4 PARA you will be sent to an OTC at a stage though. 4 PARA is time intensive so make sure you can cope with the time demands of your degree and 4 PARA mate.
I also wouldn’t necessarily see 4 PARA as a stepping stone to become an Officer. @Snows can hopefully help too.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
4 PARA is very time intensive so make sure it blends with your civvie demands such as Uni. @4 PARA HQ will be able to help

Snows

Reaction score
Sounds like a very solid plan to me.

Being in 4 PARA won't give you any guarantees on a Para RSB at Sandhurst, but experience as a soldier (and the willingness to join as a tom), passing P-Coy, and maintaining the commitment during university will be valuable wherever you go, and will be impressive lines on your CV for any regimental choice. 4 PARA is also a better option to learn serious soldiering than OTC. Joining both is out I think, and also unnecessary, although there did used to be a program to put fit, high performing OTC cadets through P-Coy.

From the above, I'd highlight the "join as a tom" bit. It's not essential to being an officer, and many don't. But the motto and ethos of Sandhurst is "Serve to Lead", so consciously joining 4 PARA as a soldier is a demonstration that you are living that ethos.

Can't comment on the current thinking of 4 PARA about such plans, but @4 PARA HQ may.

Last edited:

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
Some simplistic answers:

You can't do both - You will need to be under the control of one unit.

You certainly join 4 PARA whilst at University, lots do and the time flexibility (if you have it with University course constraints) certainly helps. Remember, 4 PARA is not built around the Uni calendar like the OTC, we will still expect you to parade out of term time when you may possibly be at home in a different part of the country - the benefit of 4 PARA unlike most other AR units is that we have locations all across the UK so you can parade at nearest unit.

Which one is better as a route to Commission into the regular Parachute Regiment? Not one for us to advise without seeming biased, the OTC is a very good tool to show a potential OCdt the role/life of a junior Officer in the wider British Army, 4 PARA is very good to get a window into the culture/ethos of the Airborne Forces.

A significant amount of the junior Officers who taken a regular commission into The Parachute Regiment have been members of 4 PARA previously.

Azbo

Reaction score
Some simplistic answers:

You certainly join 4 PARA whilst at University, lots do and the time flexibility (if you have it with University course constraints) certainly helps. Remember, 4 PARA is not built around the Uni calendar like the OTC, we will still expect you to parade out of term time when you may possibly be at home in a different part of the country - the benefit of 4 PARA unlike most other AR units is that we have locations all across the UK so you can parade at nearest unit.

Which one is better as a route to Commission into the regular Parachute Regiment? Not one for us to advise without seeming biased, the OTC is a very good tool to show a potential OCdt the role/life of a junior Officer in the wider British Army, 4 PARA is very good to get a window into the culture/ethos of the Airborne Forces.

A significant amount of the junior Officers who taken a regular commission into The Parachute Regiment have been members of 4 PARA previously.
OK, thats great, i have lots of time to consider my options but your advice is greatly appreciated

Azbo

Reaction score
Some simplistic answers:

A significant amount of the junior Officers who taken a regular commission into The Parachute Regiment have been members of 4 PARA
Quick question, will i also be able to do my jumps course once ive completed pcoy at universty?

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
Quick question, will i also be able to do my jumps course once ive completed pcoy at universty?
Yes, you'll be no different to any other Soldier within 4 PARA, so once PPS is completed the next phase will be Basic Parachuting Course.

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
OK, thats great, i have lots of time to consider my options but your advice is greatly appreciated
If you were to undertake a Reserve Commission whilst at University (lots do) you would attach to an OTC whilst under Commissioning Course.

Azbo

Reaction score
Researched this online but couldn't find much, can anyone give me the details on ex airborne student?

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
It was a condensed course ran by Pegasus Company, for OTC members to enable them to wear the Maroon Beret. It is no longer ran due the amount of injuries and additional training budget required by the OTC's to prepare, most of whom subsequently transferred to 4 PARA.....