4 PARA Officers

smudge67

Reaction score
Hey, I've read different information on becoming an officer in 4 PARA. Is it true you become a soldier first and then you can be selected to become an officer if you show an apptitide for it?

Thanks.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a good question and one that I’m sure will be asked by many. One of the factors we are focusing on here is providing accurate and current information which will hopefully dispel a few myths.

Essentially- You can Commission first then join from an OTC/other AR unit, pending a pass at the Regimental selection board with 4 PARA CO/RSM. You will then complete P Coy as an AR Officer. Hopefully @Westy or @Big_Shep can jump on and explain in more detail if required.

This is also discussed here. :https://www.paras.uk/threads/is-4-para-feasible-with-uni-life.104/#post-752

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
So you can come in with a commission gained elsewhere via regular, AR or OTC and passing P Coy. Again full disclosure is I left in 2017 but hopefully @Westy can confirm if Ex AIRBORNE Student is still running. I’ll not discuss it until he confirms it’s not outdated. There is a process in which you can commission from the ranks but this is very much dependent on your SJARs (Annual reports) and interviews with OC/CO. Don’t bank on it and the most efficient way to become an officer is to join as one.

Aldo

Reaction score
Where you an officer shep?

Fisherman

Reaction score
What do 4 PARA officers actually do? Is it the same as regulars? What are the educational requirements?

Westy

4 PARA
Reaction score
What do 4 PARA officers actually do? Is it the same as regulars? What are the educational requirements?
A few answers:

Airborne Student is no longer running, so all Officers who transfer across from Other units now have to complete All Arms PPS with 4 PARA - you have to be in an Airborne unit to complete now, so trying to get on the course from other AR units is a no go. IF you are Commissioning from the ranks, or transferring across you still have to pass 4 PARA RSB with the Commanding Officer.

The above statement is quite vague, however I will focus on the Platoon Commander role - All of the barrack responsibilities are the same, MPAR/SJAR, planning weekly training for Pln, working with Coy 2IC to develop training.

Role on exercise is tactical, writing/delivering orders and leading the Platoon.

RMR as far as I'm aware do not do the tactical side as Reserve Officers (happy to be advised otherwise)

Educational requirements are the same as Regular Officers.

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
RMR officers are primarily admin based. G4 roles only. From experience 4 PARA had some phenomenal officers.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
We had a 4 PARA officer attached to us for a bit and he slotted into the coy fine

BT9

Reaction score
Do 4 para officers have higher standards to reach on p company?

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
Do 4 para officers have higher standards to reach on p company?
Yes, if you go through Pre Parachute Selection as an Officer you will wear a white t shirt to identify you as a Commissioned Officer, you will also be expected to show leadership during test week.