A day at Assesment Centre.

Woody

Reaction score
I thought I'd write a summary of my day at the AC. It might help others answer a few questions.

Packing - I followed the instructions to the letter, but almost none of it was needed. Better to be safe than sorry though. I also took my own bottle of water.

On arrival I waited in the overflow carpark and was collected bang on 8am (make sure you're early and don't forget a face mask) and assigned a number - remember this!

You're taken almost immediately to the conference room and given a short presentation about the day and a flapjack and bottle of water. After filling a form or two in, one by one you give all your documentation in and it gets checked etc. You also have 2 bibs to wear, you wear both and take one off after medical and tests, and one after fitness and your interview

After that it's off for the medical, while you're waiting you get given your lunch (sandwich, crisps,fruit and chocolate bar) The medical is standard enough stuff, urine test, height, weight, BMI etc. There's also an ECG test (shave your chest beforehand or they do...) and a hearing test in a booth, clicking a button when you hear the beeps. Then you wait to see a doctor and they go through your medical records and check your joints, do a few press up, walking exercises etc. You'll get a credit card sized green "pass" or red "fail" after this. Straight from there into a hall to do the cognitive tests, numeracy tests etc (you can practice these online before you go to the AC)

When you've done that you'll hand in your first bib. Nearly there.

A short lunch break is around now, use it wisely and gen up on your CDRILS, training information and any other info about your chosen trade that might be relevant in your interview.

Then it's outside, a quick warm up, then medicine ball throw, bar pull and then back outside for the multi stage fitness test (beep or bleep test) Work to the beeps, pace yourself and smash it.

After this it's back to the conference room, a very short wait and in to the interview. This lasted around 10-15 minutes and the questions were easy enough, what training will you do and where, why do you want to join, what were some of the battle honours etc. I'm sure these will vary so learn what you can. You're not expected to know it all.

They'll tell you how you've done in the interview on the various tests etc, then it's back to the reception, hand your final bib in, get your documents back and you're on your way home.

My day was 8am - 2pm.

They're keen on hand washing, wiping surfaces you've touched etc. Call everyone staff/ma'am who's not in uniform and by rank if they are and you'll not go far wrong.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Admin

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post this @Woody

This will undoubtedly help others.

Aldo

Reaction score
Hey @Woody what did they ask you about 4 PARA? Does anyone know if 4 PARA have their own formal interview stage?

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Hey @Woody what did they ask you about 4 PARA? Does anyone know if 4 PARA have their own formal interview stage?
I don’t think they do Aldo mate I could be wrong but I haven’t had one, I had a relatively informal F2F with my unit, then an interview with capita staff at my first AC, that was about it. I was asked if I knew training stages, roles, and what was required of me, I said yep and they were happy. My conduct and appearance probably helped in regards to how serious I was about it. I may still have that formal interview though who knows, covids put a bit of a stinker on a lot of things this year

Woody

Reaction score

As Mac has mentioned, they didn't specifically ask about 4 PARA, the questions were more aimed at why I wanted to join, and if I knew what the stages of training were and what they consisted of. Also I was asked about the British Army CDRILS and drugs policy. I'm sure they can quite quickly tell if you've done your research and are motivated to join or just blagging it.