Advice Needed

Mayan91

Reaction score
Hi guys

Will try to be short and concise as possible.

Have my AC very soon. Problem is I'm pretty burnt out from the training, but I havent yet been able to reach 11.6 for the bleep test which is obviously far from ideal being so close.

I got to level 11 the Friday before last and im sure another six shuttles is purely mental. My question is more about what the best way is to proceed now that I'm fatuiged and so close.

Max effort bleep tests seem to be draining me and affecting my evening gym sessions/overall energy. I've seen some posts about keeping to low levels and practicing turns, just wondering if anyone can add any to that info.

Many thanks guys, sorry if it's a familiar topic.

P.s Unbelievable we have reg guys here, past and present who take the time to give advice. Inspirational stuff!!

Aldo

Reaction score
Paging @Snows @Mac_t1lt and @PhysMan . All three post cracking advice.

Personally mate I think on the day you need to have a run till you drop attitude. This is where you need to focus on as the rest of the AC isn’t too dependent on your gym prep. No good blasting yourself on gym and PRAC training if you can’t pass the bleep. Don’t burn yourself out but I think you should aim to achieve that 11.6 before to give yourself confidence

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Hi guys

Will try to be short and concise as possible.

Have my AC very soon. Problem is I'm pretty burnt out from the training, but I havent yet been able to reach 11.6 for the bleep test which is obviously far from ideal being so close.

I got to level 11 the Friday before last and im sure another six shuttles is purely mental. My question is more about what the best way is to proceed now that I'm fatuiged and so close.

Max effort bleep tests seem to be draining me and affecting my evening gym sessions/overall energy. I've seen some posts about keeping to low levels and practicing turns, just wondering if anyone can add any to that info.

Many thanks guys, sorry if it's a familiar topic.

P.s Unbelievable we have reg guys here, past and present who take the time to give advice. Inspirational stuff!!
Hello mate 👍

seeing as you’re close to AC and have been smashing it out in prep, best possible advice I can give is to stop, recover fully, recuperate, fully hydrate and eat as well as humanly possible up until then. About a week before my AC I was doing 4-6 bleep tests a day and really blasted the shit out of my lowers, I poked some of the lads on here for advice which helped me reel it back a bit and get into the right mindset - which is the other half of your prep - mindset. There’s only so much prep you can physically do until you get into the negatives, smart training over ego training is ideal, knowing when to cool it off a bit and recover then smash it is the difference between success and injury. You’ve reached level 11 before so you can 100% do it. On the day you’re going to be surround by more people than you think, so flopping on it isn’t going to be an option. Don’t overthink it (as someone told me on here) or you’ll psych yourself out. Just before I did my bleep was so focused on smashing it I couldn’t hear a word anyone was saying to me, I was listening, but it was all muffled as I was just itching to smash that thing to pieces. You’ll do it bud just believe it. Keep us posted - Goodluck 👍💪

Mayan91

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Aldo. Unfortunately I have been training with PRAC in mind instead of the bleep test, which is a different kind of beast as I have discovered.

I will probably cut most gym work out now (last few days have been pretty shocking half sessions anyway) until after AC and focus purely on the bleep test after a rest.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Aldo. Unfortunately I have been training with PRAC in mind instead of the bleep test, which is a different kind of beast as I have discovered.

I will probably cut most gym work out now (last few days have been pretty shocking half sessions anyway) until after AC and focus purely on the bleep test after a rest.
It’s good to focus on the bigger picture but try know when to focus on what’s in front of you, I knew a guy who was going RM and to pass CTC he trained to 21/22/23 level in prep with the idea that if he could be fit enough for that he’d smash CTC, went to his PRMC with loads of injuries and failed

Mayan91

Reaction score
Hello mate 👍

seeing as you’re close to AC and have been smashing it out in prep, best possible advice I can give is to stop, recover fully, recuperate, fully hydrate and eat as well as humanly possible up until then. About a week before my AC I was doing 4-6 bleep tests a day and really blasted the shit out of my lowers, I poked some of the lads on here for advice which helped me reel it back a bit and get into the right mindset - which is the other half of your prep - mindset. There’s only so much prep you can physically do until you get into the negatives, smart training over ego training is ideal, knowing when to cool it off a bit and recover then smash it is the difference between success and injury. You’ve reached level 11 before so you can 100% do it. On the day you’re going to be surround by more people than you think, so flopping on it isn’t going to be an option. Don’t overthink it (as someone told me on here) or you’ll psych yourself out. Just before I did my bleep was so focused on smashing it I couldn’t hear a word anyone was saying to me, I was listening, but it was all muffled as I was just itching to smash that thing to pieces. You’ll do it bud just believe it. Keep us posted - Goodluck 👍💪
Thanks for the advice and pma mate. Rest/intelligent routine is definitely what I struggle with the most and as much as I will hate taking time off being so close and not having reached the required mark, I dont think I have a choice for the next two days at least.

Mayan91

Reaction score
It’s good to focus on the bigger picture but try know when to focus on what’s in front of you, I knew a guy who was going RM and to pass CTC he trained to 21/22/23 level in prep with the idea that if he could be fit enough for that he’d smash CTC, went to his PRMC with loads of injuries and failed
You talking about 21/22/23 lvl on the bleep?

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and pma mate. Rest/intelligent routine is definitely what I struggle with the most and as much as I will hate taking time off being so close and not having reached the required mark, I dont think I have a choice for the next two days at least.
No dramas dude it’s easily done. I take it you train by yourself a lot? Eventually you’ll get into a routine with others and phys management will become second nature. I’ve ran into my own training issues due to pushing and pushing but only starting seeing real progress once I started training smarter.
Remember to meet the beeps on the beeps as often as possible, use the early levels as a warm up & wear some good kicks!! after level 9 it’s just of case of biting down and not stopping but I’m sure you’ll smash it 💥

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
You talking about 21/22/23 lvl on the bleep?
No UKSF - he tabbed like there was no tomorrow and dramatically overdone it - it’s a loose example but one I remind myself of to focus on tasks at hand

Chelonian

Reaction score
Disclaimer: AC and PRAC didn't exist in my day but I'll make a couple of observations. Others here far better qualified than what I am so hopefully they will chip in:

1. Hoping that adrenaline will carry you over the line on the day is fine unless there is a significant 'warm up' thrashing prior to the tests.

2. You mention that your AC is "very soon". If it is within the next ten days or so consider resting. It's not heresy; it's about training smart.

Mayan91

Reaction score
No UKSF - he tabbed like there was no tomorrow and dramatically overdone it - it’s a loose example but one I remind myself of to focus on tasks at hand
Ah I get what you mean now.

I do all the running by myself. It is quite hard to convince people to come out for this kind of running/bleep test practices in the middle of winter let alone summer(among my group of friends anyway).

We do have a makeshift gym in this houseshare where I am and sometimes we do train together , but that is not always ideal as we are pushing each other(as you do), however I've normally done a pretty knackering run earlier in the day and intend to do exactly the same the next day. Which obviously can't be sustained. Luckily my main gym mate moved out recently so I have been in there alone and it is easier to call it a day when I really should.

Its only very recently I learned to take the ego training out of gym.

Mayan91

Reaction score
Disclaimer: AC and PRAC didn't exist in my day but I'll make a couple of observations. Others here far better qualified than what I am so hopefully they will chip in:

1. Hoping that adrenaline will carry you over the line on the day is fine unless there is a significant 'warm up' thrashing prior to the tests.

2. You mention that your AC is "very soon". If it is within the next ten days or so consider resting. It's not heresy; it's about training smart.
Thanks mate. Ideally I would like to achieve the 11.6 prior and have experience to fall back on rather than relying on adrenaline. I'm going to have to rest next two days anyway its more about what I should be doing after I am rested to meet the required standards but not knacker myself before (around 10 days) time.

Thanks very much for your thoughts/advice!

PhysMan

Reaction score
Same advice as has been given, if you're feeling burnt out and it's mega soon then Rest is your best ally.

Personally I don't train for Bleep Tests, I'm of the opinion that if you're doing enough mileage and speedwork to be a fairly competent runner then the bleep score will reflect that. That certainly seemed to help on my recent AC where the 11.6 was fairly comfortable. But maybe this advice is too late in your own case, so yep just rest, recover, hydrate, put in some fartlek sessions rather than Bleeping your way into the ground every day.

Mayan91

Reaction score
Same advice as has been given, if you're feeling burnt out and it's mega soon then Rest is your best ally.

Personally I don't train for Bleep Tests, I'm of the opinion that if you're doing enough mileage and speedwork to be a fairly competent runner then the bleep score will reflect that. That certainly seemed to help on my recent AC where the 11.6 was fairly comfortable. But maybe this advice is too late in your own case, so yep just rest, recover, hydrate, put in some fartlek sessions rather than Bleeping your way into the ground every day.
Thanks for the advice mate! Will give fartlek a try, I did some hill sprints the other day but haven't fully recovered from them glutes/leg wise. Fartlek might be more forgiving seeing as I am squeezed for time.

I wouldnt say I'm a great runner, but I dont think I should be falling as short as I have been recently, with the work I've been putting in.

PhysMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mate! Will give fartlek a try, I did some hill sprints the other day but haven't fully recovered from them glutes/leg wise. Fartlek might be more forgiving seeing as I am squeezed for time.

I wouldnt say I'm a great runner, but I dont think I should be falling as short as I have been recently, with the work I've been putting in.

Sounds like you've overtrained a little. 10 days to AC if I read correctly. I would take 2 full days' rest starting immediately, get good nutrition on board (don't worry about cutting calories, if anything I'd over eat as long as it's nutritious food) then for the week or so you have remaining I would follow a more sensible program mostly consisting of jogging and circuits with 1 or 2 days of sprints spread out around it, then I would take a full rest day the day before AC too.

Train smart as well as hard.

Mayan91

Reaction score
Thanks mate, thats some solid all round advice with the calorie stuff too!

Im going to rest up and crack on again in two days.

Cheers

Mayan91

Reaction score
going to take a different opinion here, i got to level 11 before my ac and rested the days before that thinking the adrenaline will help me get across the line. Only got to level 11 at AC, failed. If i was you id keep practicing. Dont thrash yourself but really get your body prepared and stretch alot after aswell.
Thanks bro. I am going to keep training but, have two days off to let my legs recover. I think I will aim to get at least one attempt in before I go as I'm still not great with turning.

Unlucky on your attempt mate! Are you going again. Also what is the surface there like, hard to turn if wet etc?

Thanks for the advice mate!!