Advice Needed

PhysMan

Reaction score
Might be a good time to jump in lads with a brief idea of what a bleep test actually is/represents.

The Multi-Stage Fitness Test (MSFT)/Bleep Test is designed to measure your VO2 MAX. I'm not going to go too scientific on what that means but essentially it means it measures your body's maximum fitness ability in terms of how the system works. Similar tests are the Cooper Test which can take a few forms but is usually a 1.5 mile best effort, or a 12-minute best effort distance. I guess the new 2k run test is another take on the Cooper format.

What this all means - and this is particularly for people with time on their side (I'd say anything over 6 weeks) is we shouldn't be building our entire mindset around a bleep test as some sort of 'end goal'. Focus on fitness first - mileage, sprints, circuit training - and the bleep will come naturally because you will naturally be a much fitter individual. You need that aerobic fitness to be comfortable running continuously, anaerobic fitness for the sprints in the later levels, and your circuit training will help your short twitch muscle fibers develop for that explosive power and recovery speed.

This article was easy to find from a quick Google and is well worth reading from top to bottom. It explains how to improve your bleep test and goes a bit more into all the science.

Mayan91

Reaction score
Might be a good time to jump in lads with a brief idea of what a bleep test actually is/represents.

The Multi-Stage Fitness Test (MSFT)/Bleep Test is designed to measure your VO2 MAX. I'm not going to go too scientific on what that means but essentially it means it measures your body's maximum fitness ability in terms of how the system works. Similar tests are the Cooper Test which can take a few forms but is usually a 1.5 mile best effort, or a 12-minute best effort distance. I guess the new 2k run test is another take on the Cooper format.

What this all means - and this is particularly for people with time on their side (I'd say anything over 6 weeks) is we shouldn't be building our entire mindset around a bleep test as some sort of 'end goal'. Focus on fitness first - mileage, sprints, circuit training - and the bleep will come naturally because you will naturally be a much fitter individual. You need that aerobic fitness to be comfortable running continuously, anaerobic fitness for the sprints in the later levels, and your circuit training will help your short twitch muscle fibers develop for that explosive power and recovery speed.

This article was easy to find from a quick Google and is well worth reading from top to bottom. It explains how to improve your bleep test and goes a bit more into all the science.
Thanks for that!

Parkhead

Reaction score

Great information @PhysMan

As above really. My training is focused on steady state runs between mostly between 4-6 miles. Most I push is 8 milers. And hill sprints, intervals and sprints.

Chelonian

Reaction score
By going to harrogate getting experience, being used to military training, being surrounded by people my own age that way it wouldnt be a complete shock to the system by the time i get to catterick.
At face value the logic is okay but 'training to be trained' really isn't necessary.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you might be underestimating your own ability. The fact that you are on this forum indicates that you are serious about researching your chosen career path. Everyone struggles in RT regardless of previous experience.

I'm uncertain what your age is but there are other opportunities to build confidence and develop mental resilience. Don't dismiss Cadet Forces (any cap badge) if you're within the appropriate age band.

Mayan91

Reaction score
Listen to the lads that have passed. If it’s really soon then you aren’t going to make any monumental gains in a few days. Rest and you need to give it 100% on the day, no weakness. Max effort
Thanks bud, resting today and tomorrow.