Any help needed feel free to ask!!

MickyK108

Reaction score
Hi, I was recently discharged from catterick due to a Med Failure as I was going to the Mercian Regiment, even tho I had a short stay I do know the basic standards of what you’re expected in training.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding life in training, skill at arms, Kit, Drill, ex or any general questions about life at catterick and I’ll give as much help as I can!

Last edited:

Dot

Reaction score
Thanks mate. In terms of PT in those early weeks what was it like? In terms of level expected by the PTIs?

MickyK108

Reaction score
Thanks mate. In terms of PT in those early weeks what was it like? In terms of level expected by the PTIs?
Early PT sessions it will consist of mainly runs which is done over various types of terrain even including up and down hills, Cause of covid gyms will only be open for PT sessions and they will consist of strength and conditioning where you will gradually add weight on. They will expect basic fitness standards from you but as long as they see your giving it your all and not mincing you should be fine. They will also expect you to bang out body weight exercise at night and make sure you stretch.

Zozo

Reaction score
What a fantastic idea for a thread. Thanks @MickyK108

1) What did your fitness routine pre ITC look like and did you feel it was enough? Anything you are focusing more on this time?

2) Are Para recruits kept separate from other recruits out of interest?

Dot

Reaction score
Great pal cheers. Prob a shit question but what is the policy regarding mobile phones etc? Are you allowed them in the evenings?

MickyK108

Reaction score
What a fantastic idea for a thread. Thanks @MickyK108

1) What did your fitness routine pre ITC look like and did you feel it was enough? Anything you are focusing more on this time?

2) Are Para recruits kept separate from other recruits out of interest?
1) Usually would have 2 days a week focusing on Cardio for example hill sprints, 5 milers, 2 milers etc then would do interval training and body weight sessions. I am focusing mainly on my cardio even more this time around as I was focusing too much on strength over my stamina which led to me gassing out very quickly.

2) Para recruits are in accommodation in Helles barracks with guards and Gurkhas and basic infantry is across the road in Vimy Barracks, paras would be in vimy for stuff like the steeple chase, pt and when getting scoff etc

MickyK108

Reaction score
Great pal cheers. Prob a shit question but what is the policy regarding mobile phones etc? Are you allowed them in the evenings?
No such thing as a shit question! And in my experience in ITC we where allowed ours from 7pm until lights out which was around 10.30-11 but from 5.30am until 7pm you have to keep it in your civvy locker

Dot

Reaction score
Outstanding stuff mate. There was a chat on here not long ago about exercises. Do you know how many you’ll do? I think I read on here you have intro ex’s and then tactical ones? Any experience/feedback on what those early ones are like actually being out in the field?

MickyK108

Reaction score
Not too sure on how many there is I would have to do a bit of research or ask my old section for that but week 2 you will have Intro Ex 1 which is basic field craft where you learn Field admin, looking after kit, keeping warm and dry, how to patrol, you will conduct patrols at night which is where you go round the harbour area, intro ex 2 is similar but by this point you will of had passed your weapon handling test so you will learn what to do when under attack at night where you will be firing blanks. I’ll try get back to you about how many there is as you conduct live firing, radio skills, navigation , communication drills etc.

MickyK108

Reaction score
Just want to say that this is a fucking top thread and good effort for helping lads out. Keep it up.
Cheers lad, just want to try help everyone as much as I can while I also learn from others.

MickyK108

Reaction score
Outstanding stuff mate. There was a chat on here not long ago about exercises. Do you know how many you’ll do? I think I read on here you have intro ex’s and then tactical ones? Any experience/feedback on what those early ones are like actually being out in the field?
Depending the time of year also it will be very cold during exercises which makes it even better haha. As long as you keep on top of your personal admin you will be grand.

MickyK108

Reaction score
What would be your best injury prevention tip during training ?
Don’t push yourself too far to the point of your breaking yourself and do your stretches before bed.
we also got advised to get warm baths to help muscles

MickyK108

Reaction score
What would be your best injury prevention tip during training ?
I met a lot of para recruits who where injured and I mean a lot cause they pushed themselves that far their legs couldn’t take it anymore and they are now in waterloo company where anyone with injuries goes

Dot

Reaction score
Any insight to how tough it is to pass inspections and do you have them every morning?

MickyK108

Reaction score
Any insight to how tough it is to pass inspections and do you have them every morning?
Early on inspections they don’t expect it be perfect but they are expecting your best and for it to be identical to every locker in the section. You don’t have them every morning but you will have them most mornings but they tell you the night before so you have plenty of time to get it sorted as lo as you don’t mince.
You will have a photo on the wall in your section showing you what way you need your lockers and what way to make your bed but they will go through it with you once you receive your kit