Are language skills useful in the Paras?

Mishy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have previously worked as a commercial linguist translating both French and German.
I speak Spanish also (Not fluently, but well enough to get whatever I need or a point across) and I was wondering if the Paras would find that at all useful or should I look more towards the Intelligence Corps?

Many thanks,

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
CO SFSG and their Ops Offr may be interested. If you want to do a linguist course you’ll need to pass language aptitude test. As for the int Corps that’s a very different job so decide what you want out the job and apply accordingly

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
I’d say French is fairly useful and as Redders said make it known through the appropriate channels and you might find it is useful within SFSG.
French is strongly implanted in North and Sub-Saharan Africa and it doesn’t take the brains of Britain to suss out which elements of the UK may be out there working alongside the French. Also you need only look at Wessex Storm to see that we are working on more interoperability with the French.

Mishy

Reaction score
Good to know, French is spoken by 220 million so it’s a solid language to have. Definitely glad to know it might be handy

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
We had some of our lads trained up as Pashtu linguists for Afghan and they had to do an intensive 10 months of language training Beaconsfield. Was great asset to have as the lads could interact with the locals and have a good chat with them without a terp. So Reg lads have definitely done language courses in the past

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
We had some of our lads trained up as Pashtu linguists for Afghan and they had to do an intensive 10 months of language training Beaconsfield. Was great asset to have as the lads could interact with the locals and have a good chat with them without a terp. So Reg lads have definitely done language courses in the past
Would love to learn pashtu or dari, learning a lot of Punjabi at work, I speak Portuguese fluently but not much use for that in the reg I’m guessing as no ops over them sides? Also looking at a basic level of polish Russian and German but I guess its wiser to narrow it down a bit and just focus on speaking less languages better.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a useless skill (that’s not an invitation to come up with some ridiculous examples!)
Don’t overlook the fact that being able to communicate fluently in another language is a hugely useful life skill. They say the first foreign language you learn is the most difficult. After that your mind is conditioned to picking up another. It will also subconsciously make you more aware of the nuts and bolts of your own language. It is widely accepted that language learning helps develop strong cognitive skills, such as a better concept formation and mental flexibility. Now that is very relevant.

As for you specifically Portuguese, I don't know but don’t rule anything out. The Army is engaged in operational duties across the globe. The work ranges from peacekeeping to supporting allies in their anti-terrorism measures and helping combat the international drugs trade. It’s not out of the realms of possibility you might one day be tasked to train or work alongside Brazilian counter narcotic forces for example. Also it may enhance your ability to engage and improve interoperability with our allies on various exercises.

There are options available to those with language qualifications/ skills to train and become an in-service interpeter, the details of which are explained in the relevent MODNET that you’ll be able to access once serving. There seems to be two key languages that are always in demand French and Arabic but other priorities include Russian, Chinese, Pashto, Dari, Spanish and Somali.
The ability to speak to the local population in their own language is an invaluable asset and knowledge of the local language and customs can make a significant difference to the success of both operations and overseas engagement, including on military training teams.

If you have the ability the speak another language make in known to your career advisor and Unit Chain of Command via your JPA (intranet-based personnel administration system) once serving. Once serving search on the intranet for The Army Language Strategy.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a useless skill (that’s not an invitation to come up with some ridiculous examples!)
Don’t overlook the fact that being able to communicate fluently in another language is a hugely useful life skill. They say the first foreign language you learn is the most difficult. After that your mind is conditioned to picking up another. It will also subconsciously make you more aware of the nuts and bolts of your own language. It is widely accepted that language learning helps develop strong cognitive skills, such as a better concept formation and mental flexibility. Now that is very relevant.

As for you specifically Portuguese, I don't know but don’t rule anything out. The Army is engaged in operational duties across the globe. The work ranges from peacekeeping to supporting allies in their anti-terrorism measures and helping combat the international drugs trade. It’s not out of the realms of possibility you might one day be tasked to train or work alongside Brazilian counter narcotic forces for example. Also it may enhance your ability to engage and improve interoperability with our allies on various exercises.

There are options available to those with language qualifications/ skills to train and become an in-service interpeter, the details of which are explained in the relevent MODNET that you’ll be able to access once serving. There seems to be two key languages that are always in demand French and Arabic but other priorities include Russian, Chinese, Pashto, Dari, Spanish and Somali.
The ability to speak to the local population in their own language is an invaluable asset and knowledge of the local language and customs can make a significant difference to the success of both operations and overseas engagement, including on military training teams.

If you have the ability the speak another language make in known to your career advisor and Unit Chain of Command via your JPA (intranet-based personnel administration system) once serving. Once serving search on the intranet for The Army Language Strategy.
Languages are definitely something I enjoy learning, I do hope I can be of some use in the future. You’ve dropped some proper gems there, il be sure to let the uppers know once I’m in.

Snows

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have previously worked as a commercial linguist translating both French and German.
I speak Spanish also (Not fluently, but well enough to get whatever I need or a point across) and I was wondering if the Paras would find that at all useful or should I look more towards the Intelligence Corps?

Many thanks,
If the Para role appeals to you, don't join the Intelligence Corps. There are qualities that suitable candidates for both share, and they often work closely together, but the roles are on opposite ends of the scale in your day-to-day work. Although this is shamefully sometimes suggested as bait to Int Corps recruits, the chance of role crossover from Int Corps to Para (i.e. "you too as a 16AA attached Int Corps JNCO can get on the ground and brass up Johnny Taliban!") is not quite, but close to, zero. Finally, Para is a young man's game, Int Corps you can play at any age. Lots of Para Reg blokes transfer to the Int Corps, but it doesn't really work the other way.

As above, language skills are always useful to the most active parts of the military, and French is, or was very recently, second only to Arabic in present utility. Also means you'll be employed in the warmest and most interesting climates, instead of the Baltics!