Assessment Centre Questions

HGH77

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just a quick one from me. I have my assessment centre in the very near future. Just have a few questions. Firstly what does everyone recommend I wear, I was told sports kit but something about that just seems awfully scruffy. Anything I should do to make myself appear more presentable? Also what should I eat the morning of it. Don’t want to fill myself up but also want to fuel myself properly. And lastly just one for the lads who have attended, is the bleep test indoors or outdoors as I’m concerned about the weather and I would hate to slip and throw myself off. I know that wouldn’t be an excuse and if I really want it I’ll push through no matter what but I could overthink for England so just looking for my mind to be out at ease really. And lastly if anyone has any last minute advice that I haven’t asked about already that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aldo

Reaction score
Good question mate and I wondered the same thing!

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just a quick one from me. I have my assessment centre in the very near future. Just have a few questions. Firstly what does everyone recommend I wear, I was told sports kit but something about that just seems awfully scruffy. Anything I should do to make myself appear more presentable? Also what should I eat the morning of it. Don’t want to fill myself up but also want to fuel myself properly. And lastly just one for the lads who have attended, is the bleep test indoors or outdoors as I’m concerned about the weather and I would hate to slip and throw myself off. I know that wouldn’t be an excuse and if I really want it I’ll push through no matter what but I could overthink for England so just looking for my mind to be out at ease really. And lastly if anyone has any last minute advice that I haven’t asked about already that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
*Wear sports kit mate, go by the instructions they give you. if it’s just the RFTE you’re going for you won’t have much time to change - easier if you just turn up ready to go, you’re off coach, briefed and straight to it, you’ll be done before you know it.

*eat good the night before, drink plenty of water, get good sleep and a decent breakfast.

*it’ll be outside, wether wet or dry you’ll be expected to max out the test. It’s actually quite grippy, I did it after it rained and wasn’t too bad

*Last min advice - don’t stop!

smash it mate good luck!

HGH77

Reaction score
*Wear sports kit mate, go by the instructions they give you. if it’s just the RFTE you’re going for you won’t have much time to change - easier if you just turn up ready to go, you’re off coach, briefed and straight to it, you’ll be done before you know it.

*eat good the night before, drink plenty of water, get good sleep and a decent breakfast.

*it’ll be outside, wether wet or dry you’ll be expected to max out the test. It’s actually quite grippy, I did it after it rained and wasn’t too bad

*Last min advice - don’t stop!

smash it mate good luck!
This is great cheers mate really appreciate it. So jus go in the shoes, shorts and top I’ll be running in?

HGH77

Reaction score
Yeah mate, you’ll clog things up if you rock up in a tuxedo. Once you do ya bleep you lift and throw then you’re off. I was there and gone in about half an hour
Ok, I was told by my careers advisor that there will be an interview where I need to know some details about training and the army values. Did you not do this?

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Ok, I was told by my careers advisor that there will be an interview where I need to know some details about training and the army values. Did you not do this?
If you’re doing the full assessment then maybe consider taking a change of clothes incase they give you time to sharpen up, ask your CA and see what’s what.
No interview at my recent visit, just the physical tests as I did the other stuff last year

HGH77

Reaction score
If you’re doing the full assessment then maybe consider taking a change of clothes incase they give you time to sharpen up, ask your CA and see what’s what.
No interview at my recent visit, just the physical tests as I did the other stuff last year
Ah got ya mate. Yeh I’ll take smart clothes as well just in case they ask us to change. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it I guess. Will call my careers advisor tomorrow to confirm. Cheers for the advise mate!

PhysMan

Reaction score
Ah got ya mate. Yeh I’ll take smart clothes as well just in case they ask us to change. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it I guess. Will call my careers advisor tomorrow to confirm. Cheers for the advise mate!

At least on mine we were not allowed to change, literally finished the bleep test and were rushed into interview still sweating in phys kit because the idea was to get us off site ASAP. However I had a suit on standby so I would take it in case the AC staff say different on the day. Personally I'd just say follow the joining instructions paperwork to the letter and you can't be told you're wrong.

HGH77

Reaction score
At least on mine we were not allowed to change, literally finished the bleep test and were rushed into interview still sweating in phys kit because the idea was to get us off site ASAP. However I had a suit on standby so I would take it in case the AC staff say different on the day. Personally I'd just say follow the joining instructions paperwork to the letter and you can't be told you're wrong.
Sound mate. I’m a bit in confusion now as I’m not sure if I’m meant to wear a tracksuit to go in, take running kit to change into to do the run, and then change into my suit/back into my tracksuit afterward. In other words it all depends if we have access to the changing facilities and also if we have the time to change. Do you guys recommend me going in my running kit but just with joggers on top of my shorts. That way if we don’t get time to change I can just take them off quickly before the test and then put them back on after before the interview? Also @PhysMan, may I ask what u were asked in the interview and how did you answer it? Cheers

LLB

Reaction score
Sound mate. I’m a bit in confusion now as I’m not sure if I’m meant to wear a tracksuit to go in, take running kit to change into to do the run, and then change into my suit/back into my tracksuit afterward. In other words it all depends if we have access to the changing facilities and also if we have the time to change. Do you guys recommend me going in my running kit but just with joggers on top of my shorts. That way if we don’t get time to change I can just take them off quickly before the test and then put them back on after before the interview? Also @PhysMan, may I ask what u were asked in the interview and how did you answer it? Cheers
What does your joining instructions actually say mate?

HGH77

Reaction score
What does your joining instructions actually say mate?
It says to come in sports kit and then bring additional sports kit for the test but have just been confused as some people have said to me that you won’t get time to change and to just go in the kit you’ll run in. In all honesty after re-reading my joining instructions just I’ll just take what it says and assume I’ll be able to change. Probably just overthinking things and getting in my own head to be honest. Worst case I have to quickly put my shorts and runners on before we start

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
You DO NOT need to bring any thing that isn’t on your joining instructions. To minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19 they have streamlined the Assessment Centre duration. You WILL NOT have time to shower and change and you will not be allowed to delay the process. You will not have access to certain areas on site such as showers. Follow your joining instructions to the letter. You will be interviewed in your sports kit.

If you cannot reach your Recruiter or Candidate Support Manager then call
The National Recruitment Centre who can confirm for you. There number is 03456008080

PhysMan

Reaction score
Exactly as @Iron has said.

What I did was as you suggested - joggers over phys kit. As soon as you pass medical go to the toilet and quickly take off the top layer. Other lads seemed to lack the 'confidence' to do this (I.e. when told "go and wait for the PTIs who will come for you soon" they did exactly as told and sat there in several layers needing a piss whereas I asked "can I run to the toilet please?") And subsequently I was the only one who was 'good to go' in my comfortable phys kit and empty bladder when others flapped about still wearing several layers.

As for interview questions yours will be different as my interviewer could see I had been in RM training and mainly hammered me with questions about "why are you now joining the Paras then?". But assume you'll be asked the CDRILS and "what does training involve?". Pretty much as soon as you demonstrate one or two adequate answers they rush you out if you've passed, to reduce time on site.

HGH77

Reaction score
You DO NOT need to bring any thing that isn’t on your joining instructions. To minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19 they have streamlined the Assessment Centre duration. You WILL NOT have time to shower and change and you will not be allowed to delay the process. You will not have access to certain areas on site such as showers. Follow your joining instructions to the letter. You will be interviewed in your sports kit.

If you cannot reach your Recruiter or Candidate Support Manager then call
The National Recruitment Centre who can confirm for you. There number is 03456008080
Thanks for this. So I should just go in my running stuff with some joggers over the top and then just take them off quickly before we start the tests?

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. So I should just go in my running stuff with some joggers over the top and then just take them off quickly before we start the tests?
Yes. Also bring some deodorant for a quick freshen up after!

HGH77

Reaction score
Yes. Also bring some deodorant for a quick freshen up after!
Ok that’s great thanks mate. So seeing as I won’t need to bring a big bag full of spare clothes should I just take a ruck sack with all my documents in and some deodorant and stuff and then just shove my joggers in there before I start running? Also sorry for all the questions it’s just I’d hate to turn up unprepared