Books / Documentaries.

smudge67

Reaction score
Hey, over the last few months I have been absorbing as much information and books and documentaries on the Paras as I can. So, I thought I would share them here (y)

Books
To make it easier I have created a list on Amazon. If you have any other books that I haven't posted, post them below and I can add them to the list (if they are on Amazon).

So, in no particular order:

Pegasus Bridge: D-day: The Daring British Airborne Raidby Stephen E. Ambrose
Night Raid: The True Story of the First Victorious British Para Raid of WWIIby Taylor Downing
Fighting Fit: The complete SAS fitness training guide: Complete SAS Fitness Training Handbookby Adrian Weale
Be PARA Fit: The 4-Week Formula for Elite Physical Fitnessby Sam McGrath
Our Boys: The Story of a Paratrooperby Helen Parr
The Paras - The Inside Story of Britain's Toughest Regimentby John Parker
The Paras: 'Earth's most elite fighting unit'by Max Arthur
Para!: Fifty Years of the Parachute Regimentby Peter Harclerode
For Queen and Countryby Nigel Ely
Fighting Scared: Para, Mercenary, SAS, Sniper, Bodyguard.by Robin Horsfall
CONTACTby AFN CLARKE
A WINTER IN BELFAST: NORTHERN IRELAND 26th November 1976 – 16th March 1977by David Ellis
C.Q.B. (Close Quarter Battle)by Mike Curtis
Excursion to Hell: Mount Longdon, a Universal Story of Battleby Vincent Bramley
No Way Out: The Searing True Story of Men Under Siegeby Adam Jowett
The Battle of Goose Green: A Battle is Fought to be Wonby Mark Adkin
Ready for Anything: Parachute Regiment at War, 1940-82by Julian Thompson
Ground Truth: 3 Para Return to Afghanistanby Patrick Bishop
The Red Devilsby Graham Smith (Hardcover)
The Making Of A Paraby Rory Bridson (Hardcover)
They Stood in the Doorby Don MacNaughton
No Mean Soldierhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0563200...olid=21LTUQ42PY0EY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_itby Peter McAleese
The Parasby Frank Hilton (Hardcover)
Red Devilsby G.G. Norton (Paperback)
Without Tradition: 2 Para 1941-1945by Robert Peatling (Paperback)
The Bruneval Raid: Operation Biting 1942: 13by Ken Ford, Howard Gerrard (Paperback)

Documentaries

Para Platoon
Astonishing, inspiring and a true leap of faith! We follow a group of ambitious young men as they train to become paratroopers in this gripping 8 part documentary series. First the group must tackle a gruelling training regime, including passing the basic parachute course. If they earn the coveted 'wings' badge, they could be deployed to any danger zone in the world. Highly recommended!

The Paras: Men of War [I can't find it anywhere.]
An in depth look at the most elite regiment in the British Army: the Parachute Regiment. A group of young soldiers are followed over the course of a year as they undergo intensive selection and training and face their first major assignment. The soldiers discuss their personal experiences of training and combat, discuss the challenges they have encountered and provide their perspective about what it takes to be part of this elite and controversial regiment.

Regimental Stories - The Parachute Regiment
Created to spearhead the liberation of Europe in World War II, the Parachute Regiment prides itself on having the toughest selection process in the British Army. This film reveals how its historic missions in Normandy and Arnhem continue to motivate the regiment's recruits to this day.

P-Company [1992]
Channel Four documentary about 'P' Company. To become a Para, one of the army's eltite, you must pass a ferocious selection test - a frightening three weeks in P Company - stretched to the limit and beyond, both physically and psychologically. Thirty-nine potential recruits volunteer, only a handful survive to pass.

Heroes of Helmand - The British Army's Greatest Escape
In Afghanistan, in 2006, a small Band of Brothers called Easy Company fought one of the most intense and least talked about battles in British military history. This Secret History documentary reveals for the first time how a company of British soldiers came under siege for more than 50 days in a remote desert town in Afghanistan.

Paras in Kabul: The West's Mission in Afghanistan
20 years after the West sent troops to Kabul, we go behind the curtain on NATO’s Op Resolute Support. We go on patrol to the Afghan MOD, and see a mission that’s in limbo, as the uncertainty of a deal with the Taliban looms in the background.

The Paras [1983]
1983 series following a group of new recruits - the 480 Recruit Platoon - as they train with the Parachute Regiment.

Last edited:

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic thread! Hopefully more will chip in and add to this.

Chelonian

Reaction score
'A Winter in Belfast' by David Ellis.
2 PARA in the Murph 1976 to 1977.

'Contact' by A.F.N. Clarke.
3 PARA in Belfast (1973) and XMG (1976).
A short film was based on Clarke's book. Watched it on TV back in the 1990s. It's out there somewhere.

Both books available on Amazon.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Fighting scared - Robin Horsfall

Blurb on Amazon -

About the Author​

Robin Horsfall joined the Army as a boy soldier then served in 2 PARA in Northern Ireland during the mid-1970s. He joined the SAS in time to storm the Iranian Embassy and serve during the Falklands. After leaving the army he worked as Dodi Fayed's bodyguard and fought as a mercenary in Sri Lanka and Mozambique. He is now a very successful karate teacher in London and is married with four children.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Excursion to Hell’ by Vince Bramley.
3 PARA’s action on Mount Longdon, during Op Corporate, 1982.

When this book was first published in 1992 the Airborne Forces Museum at Browning Barracks cited it as exemplary.
Following allegations made in the book about treatment of prisoners and the subsequent sniffing about by lawyers pursuing 'historical crimes' the book became 'controversial' and official endorsement was hastily withdrawn.
Bramley wrote two follow up books one of which recounts the experiences of the Argentine personnel he fought on Mt Longdon.

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Major Adam Jowett: No Way Out.

Some may remember the fairly recent documentary on some 3 para lads and Irish rangers smashed together to form a woefully under strength and equipped company whilst in country to hold an extremely exposed compound in Musa Qala.

The documentary "heros of helmand" is on YouTube.

If you want in the paras this should be a mandatory read and or watch.

Attachments

• 51WuOrUMlpL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51WuOrUMlpL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 13

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
Adkin, Mark. Goose Green: A Battle is Fought to be Won

Harclerode, Peter. Para!: Fifty Years of The Parachute Regiment

Thompson, Julian. Ready For Anything

Woody

Reaction score
Major Adam Jowett: No Way Out.

Some may remember the fairly recent documentary on some 3 para lads and Irish rangers smashed together to form a woefully under strength and equipped company whilst in country to hold an extremely exposed compound in Musa Qala.

The documentary "heros of helmand" is on YouTube.

If you want in the paras this should be a mandatory read and or watch.

Just started reading this yesterday. Already a brilliant book.

Blisters

Reaction score
  1. Para! 50 Years of the Parachute Regiment - by Peter Harclerode
  2. The Red Devils: Red On, Green On - Go! - by Graham Smith
  3. The Making of a PARA - by Rory Bridson
  4. Ready for Anything: Parachute Regiment at War, 1940-82 - by Julian Thompson

ASNT

Reaction score
Thought I'd add to this with the below links! I'm not sure what everyone's opinion of this youtuber is but these are a great insight to me!! This look super tough!

Might be really dim here! but I'm little confused on what the Household Division and Parachute Regiment Centralised Courses (HDPRCC) are these promotion courses? And not part of depot?