Depot

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Are all jabs mandatory? What if you refuse to take a particular jab.
Asked and answered on the thread already. See #14. The vaccinations are “voluntary” if you refuse without good medical reason you will render yourself non-deployable and therefore you’ll be shown the door.

Simo2020

Reaction score
Hi - I’ve got a PRAC date and hoping to get on an intake around Easter - fingers crossed.

I have a question related to basic training that someone may be able to answer. From reading through threads I gather you get a long weekend at the end of week 7? Are you allowed to go home at weekends after this dure in depot training? Or is that it? Thanks

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hi - ive got PRAC the end of Feb and hoping to get on an intake around Easter - fingers crossed.

I have a question related to basic training that someone may be able to answer. From reading through threads I gather you get a long weekend at the end of week 7? Are you allowed to go home at weekends after this dure in depot training? Or is that it? Thanks

Not during the phase one/1st 14 weeks element no. You may get the odd Saturday off to go into the local area. After that it is dependent on your NCOs. I may be out of date as this was years ago

MickyK108

Reaction score
Hi - ive got PRAC the end of Feb and hoping to get on an intake around Easter - fingers crossed.

Due to covid you’re currently not allowed to leave the barracks unless it’s during leave periods. Your first long weekend is week 12 when you pass your drill test and earn the right to wear your headdress.

Dot

Reaction score
Due to covid you’re currently not allowed to leave the barracks unless it’s during leave periods. Your first long weekend is week 12 when you pass your drill test and earn the right to wear your headdress.
What about after week 12? Any weekends off ?

MickyK108

Reaction score
What about after week 12? Any weekends off ?
You get weekends off but not too sure with the current situation if you can actually leave the barracks especially with lockdown

Parkhead

Reaction score
You get weekends off but not too sure with the current situation if you can actually leave the barracks especially with lockdown
Something a tad confused with is it two separate courses - Phase 1 and Phase 2? If separate do you get a bit more “freedom” in phase 2?

MickyK108

Reaction score
Something a tad confused with is it two separate courses - Phase 1 and Phase 2? If separate do you get a bit more “freedom” in phase 2?
Phase 1 is your basic soldiering training which every reg does even trades.

Phase 2 is then your “trade training” which for Infantry is the Combat Infantryman Course. You get a lot more freedoms with having weekends off but training gets a lot more intense especially with the lead up to P company.

you stay in catterick for phase 2 unlike other roles like trades who will go to a different place to do their trade training

Parkhead

Reaction score
Phase 1 is your basic soldiering training which every reg does even trades.

Phase 2 is then your “trade training” which for Infantry is the Combat Infantryman Course. You get a lot more freedoms with having weekends off but training gets a lot more intense especially with the lead up to P company.

you stay in catterick for phase 2 unlike other roles like trades who will go to a different place to do their trade training
Diamond thanks mate. So the first 14 weeks in Para training is basic soldiering and the next 14 weeks you can leave at weekends?

MickyK108

Reaction score
Diamond thanks mate. So the first 14 weeks in Para training is basic soldiering and the next 14 weeks you can leave at weekends?
Think phase 1 is only 10-12 weeks for infantry but in phase 2 you will get weekends leave but not too sure how it’s working with the covid situation if you can travel home or not

D

Deletedmember

Not an important question but how often do you get your head shaved in phase 1 ?

Dot

Reaction score
@Apex303 Do you have a more up to date week by week of Depot?

Also what was the PT like during your 9 weeks and any exercises?

Apex303

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but on the Royal Marines forum they’re talking about having to hand wash your clothing during recruit training, not a big deal just something to get used to. Just wondering if it’s the same in para depot?
Sometimes you simply won't have time or choice but to hand wash. I washed my boxers, socks and trousers by hand every day so that admin was at a minimum. If I could leave it in the dry room I would. If not dry it with your iron. 2 in 1 then of ironing and drying and leave hung up to fully dry over night.
Take a scrub brush to get the mud out. The laundry is good for a deep clean especially for socks.