Ex-10 PARA #2

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
I’m Prosper Keating. I served with 10 PARA from 1983 to 1993 in 4 Coy, Sigs Pln (RSI) and Int Section. Today, I am a writer and editor and as of this week am an editorial consultant to the PRA. If I can make any useful contributions here, I’ll be more than happy to do so. I attach a photo of myself at RAF Brize Norton a long time ago.

Attachments

• 6B681C04-9B42-4255-AF90-60808C67CF44.jpeg
    6B681C04-9B42-4255-AF90-60808C67CF44.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @ProsperK and thanks for taking the time to post an introduction and join us here. It is always greatly appreciated when those with experience join us here.

Have a good look around the site and please chip as you see fit. You may find our Para Legends thread interesting - https://www.paras.uk/threads/para-history-para-legends.122/

Also we have a dedicated 4 PARA section where potential reservists and those with reserve experience discuss issues.

Found here :
https://www.paras.uk/forums/4-para-join-the-reserves.12/

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hi @ProsperK and thanks for taking the time to post an introduction and join us here. It is always greatly appreciated when those with experience join us here.

Have a good look around the site and please chip as you see fit. You may find our Para Legends thread interesting - https://www.paras.uk/threads/para-history-para-legends.122/

Also we have a dedicated 4 PARA section where potential reservists and those with reserve experience discuss issues.

Found here :
https://www.paras.uk/forums/4-para-join-the-reserves.12/
Thank you very much, Admin.

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
It was very positive on the whole. We sometimes ran across regulars who called us STABs (Stupid TA Bastards) but it was rare and generally confined to gobby young fire-breathers or cooks excused boots.

10 PARA was very well seen by the Head Shed. The Bn was put on stand-by in June 1982 to reinforce 2 and 3 PARA in the Falklands. The value of TA Para Bns was brought into perspective during the War on Terror when 4 PARA men served in the ranks of the under-strength regular Bns in Iraq and Afghanistan. Two TA Bns had been scrapped in the 1999 defence cuts although seventeen bands were kept on the TA ORBAT.

On Para Reg forums and pages, any regular slagging off TA Paras is usually jumped on by other regulars and told to STFU.

Get up tomorrow and go and sign up.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I served with 10 PARA from 1983 to 1993 in 4 Coy, Sigs Pln (RSI) and Int Section.
Welcome. I guess that you may have bumped into 10 PARA's gentle mortar man, the late Skelly? 🙂

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
Welcome. I guess that you may have bumped into 10 PARA's gentle mortar man, the late Skelly? 🙂
We stayed away from the Mortars Pln. They were cannibals. Several signals dets we sent them disappeared.

Joking aside, I daresay I’d know his face but the name isn’t ringing a bell.

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
I’m just the Editorial Consultant but one of my missions is to underline the fact that the PRA is for serving and retired paratroopers. And their families, who are part of the Airborne Family too. This sense of family bond across the generations is one of the underlying themes of this Living Memorial article.

As well as the upside, the new stone memorial made possible by children of the Regiment, and the living memorial represented by the Pegasus Display Team, it talks about the human price of our freedoms; veterans of the current wars back to WW2 talk about PTSD and survivor’s guilt and how they deal with it with the help of their brothers.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I daresay I’d know his face but the name isn’t ringing a bell.
From memory 10 PARA Mortars were at Leigh-on-Sea. Skelly joined as a Junior in the 1960s and served with 2 PARA, 10 PARA and (I think) 15 PARA. Sadly he died in 2018.

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
From memory 10 PARA Mortars were at Leigh-on-Sea. Skelly joined as a Junior in the 1960s and served with 2 PARA, 10 PARA and (I think) 15 PARA. Sadly he died in 2018.

Support Coy were in Southend, Leigh-on-Sea and Aldershot. I certainly knew who Murdoch Skelton was but I never spoke with him. The ‘Skelly’ reference didn’t ring a bell but was, of course, his nickname.

ProsperK

Para Reg
Reaction score
I’m just the Editorial Consultant but one of my missions is to underline the fact that the PRA is for everyone of all ages and generations. It is for all of us, and our families. The Airborne Family is an underly

Collieryboy

Reaction score
It was very positive on the whole. We sometimes ran across regulars who called us STABs (Stupid TA Bastards) but it was rare and generally confined to gobby young fire-breathers or cooks excused boots.

10 PARA was very well seen by the Head Shed. The Bn was put on stand-by in June 1982 to reinforce 2 and 3 PARA in the Falklands. The value of TA Para Bns was brought into perspective during the War on Terror when 4 PARA men served in the ranks of the under-strength regular Bns in Iraq and Afghanistan. Two TA Bns had been scrapped in the 1999 defence cuts although seventeen bands were kept on the TA ORBAT.

On Para Reg forums and pages, any regular slagging off TA Paras is usually jumped on by other regulars and told to STFU.

Get up tomorrow and go and sign up.
I didn't know that about the falklands. That's interesting. Every day is a school day.