Fitness Standards

JosephA

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering what the realistic fitness standards are to join the paras because I know you have to reach 11.6 on the bleep test but I doubt that'll be enough. So could you just give me an idea of what I should be aiming for: pull-ups, sit-ups, press-ups, 5k time, 10k time and anything else you think I should know. Also what is the minimum distance you should be able to run? Cheers

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering what the realistic fitness standards are to join the paras because I know you have to reach 11.6 on the bleep test but I doubt that'll be enough. So could you just give me an idea of what I should be aiming for: pull-ups, sit-ups, press-ups, 5k time, 10k time and anything else you think I should know. Also what is the minimum distance you should be able to run? Cheers
10+ pullups, 50-60+ sit-ups, 44+ press-ups, older 1.5 times are just over 9minutes so anything under puts you in a good place, soo - sub 20-22min 5ks are a good start. Not sure on minimum distance, just put as many miles into your legs as possible. Run shorter distances as fast as possible and longer distances slower. I run atleast 3-4 5ks a week, 1-2 5milers or 1-2 6/7/10 milers. Far from the fittest bod in the world so I’m sure some of the fitter lads could chip in and refine it a bit. If you can wack a 2k out in less than 7minutes you’re in a good spot.
The above’s a rough guide, obviously the fitter you are the easier it’ll be 👍

Last edited:

JosephA

Reaction score
10+ pullups, 50-60+ sit-ups, 44+ press-ups, older 1.5 times are just over 9minutes so anything under puts you in a good place, soo - sub 20-22min 5ks are a good start. Not sure on minimum distance, just put as many miles into your legs as possible. Run shorter distances as fast as possible and longer distances slower. I run atleast 3-4 5ks a week, 1-2 5milers or 1-2 6/7/10 milers. Far from the fittest bod in the world so I’m sure some of the fitter lads could chip in and refine it a bit. If you can wack a 2k out in less than 7minutes you’re in a good spot.
The above’s a rough guide, obviously the fitter you are the easier it’ll be 👍
Cheers, my 5km is currently about 24mins so any ideas how to shave off those extra few minutes? I find I get too out of breath to sustain the pace needed for a faster time. I have plenty of time to train before I apply so there's no rush

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
This might go against the grain but I didn’t over think it. When you are being fragged out on the back area being smashed up and down hills a lot of it in your head. It’s not all nice fresh runs, you need to switch on to the fact that a lot of the phys in depot can be savage. You need to survive it and know you will have NCOs and instructors getting in your face pushing you on. You need to be able to survive it. So don’t think it’s just a question of nice smooth road running. You need to get muddy and get used to being exhausted. That being said it’s better to get advice from experts like @Coachmikechadwick

You need to rock up fit and healthy but don’t get too bogged down with numbers and stats if that makes sense. It’s more the ability to keep going that counts. Remember the 11.6 bleep test is like the old 1.5 mile PFT, it’s a minimum standard. Make sure you are able to comfortably run at least 6 miles cross country, be able to comfortably achieve over 44 text book press ups in two mins, over 60 text book sit ups in two mins. Just get used to pushing yourself. I did things like getting down to a football pitch in early morning and marked out 10 meter zones. Then sprint to the 1st mark and did 1 press up, then sprint to the next and 2 press ups, then 3, then 4 and keep going until you are doing twenty press ups and repeat. Sounds simple but it helped me and you end up smashing 100s of press ups over the week. Not fancy advice, just hard graft

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Cheers, my 5km is currently about 24mins so any ideas how to shave off those extra few minutes? I find I get too out of breath to sustain the pace needed for a faster time. I have plenty of time to train before I apply so there's no rush
Just consistency really mate, keep running and mixing it with strength work, stretch a lot & work on mobility, eat properly to fuel your sessions and stay hydrated, look to feel good, feel good do good 👌 I did a tonne of fartlek running, sporadic gait runs i.e ran normal pace for 200m then really long ‘leaps & bounds’ for 200/300m then back to regular pace, just play about with it, 24 min ain’t too bad but can definitely be improved. I went from 28min(I know) to 21mins in the space of 3 months from running 4-6 times a week.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score

Sounds like you are on the right track, keep getting the miles in and keep building that endurance. Never neglect your upper body strength via press ups and various body resistance work.

Check this threads out lad
https://www.paras.uk/threads/general-military-fitness-plan.72/

https://www.paras.uk/threads/top-3-training-sessions.200/

https://www.paras.uk/threads/coach-mike-chadwick.98/

JosephA

Reaction score
This might go against the grain but I didn’t over think it. When you are being fragged out on the back area being smashed up and down hills a lot of it in your head. It’s not all nice fresh runs, you need to switch on to the fact that a lot of the phys in depot can be savage. You need to survive it and know you will have NCOs and instructors getting in your face pushing you on. You need to be able to survive it. So don’t think it’s just a question of nice smooth road running. You need to get muddy and get used to being exhausted. That being said it’s better to get advice from experts like @Coachmikechadwick

You need to rock up fit and healthy but don’t get too bogged down with numbers and stats if that makes sense. It’s more the ability to keep going that counts. Remember the 11.6 bleep test is like the old 1.5 mile PFT, it’s a minimum standard. Make sure you are able to comfortably run at least 6 miles cross country, be able to comfortably achieve over 44 text book press ups in two mins, over 60 text book sit ups in two mins. Just get used to pushing yourself. I did things like getting down to a football pitch in early morning and marked out 10 meter zones. Then sprint to the 1st mark and did 1 press up, then sprint to the next and 2 press ups, then 3, then 4 and keep going until you are doing twenty press ups and repeat. Sounds simple but it helped me and you end up smashing 100s of press ups over the week. Not fancy advice, just hard graft
Thanks, I live in quite an urban area so it's hard to get to the countryside to vary it up from road running but I definitely do try to get out there when I can.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score

This

JosephA

Reaction score
Just consistency really mate, keep running and mixing it with strength work, stretch a lot & work on mobility, eat properly to fuel your sessions and stay hydrated, look to feel good, feel good do good 👌 I did a tonne of fartlek running, sporadic gait runs i.e ran normal pace for 200m then really long ‘leaps & bounds’ for 200/300m then back to regular pace, just play about with it, 24 min ain’t too bad but can definitely be improved. I went from 28min(I know) to 21mins in the space of 3 months from running 4-6 times a week.
I can definitely improve on my time so I'm going to focus on varying my running to gain speed going forward then