Fitting in quality phys whilst working full time

K_NI

Reaction score
What are some of the schedules you guys are using to fit good quality phys in around busy full time work?

Snows

Reaction score
What are some of the schedules you guys are using to fit good quality phys in around busy full time work?
May not be an option for you, but if you can, turn your commute into phys. Either running or cycling are options if your daily commute is the right distance. I've even done bi-weekly tabbing to/from Army camps in the middle of nowhere (train from home and then cross country tab from a tiny local train station) - remember it's a method of travel! You'll have to get up earlier, but it's good to habituate yourself to that as well. The main limitations are obviously distance from your work, and whether there are facilities there to shower and change.

If commuting won't work - lunchtime. It takes about 5 minutes to eat lunch, the other 40-55 minutes can be used for exercise. Again requires facilities at your work.

If no exercise is possible at work, then you have to accept that you'll sacrifice other activities in your own time in order to get phys in. That's just part of the commitment required to pass. Again, at points of my life the day has basically looked like: Work, Phys, Food, Sleep. Remember, this isn't for life! If you get in most of the regiment allows 2 hours every day in your workday for phys, in a free gym. You are literally paid to stay fit.

If you're finding it tough, I'd suggest a couple of things other than the above:

1. Be clear about the problem. The problem isn't really scheduling, it's prioritisation. You need to work for money to eat, you need to eat, and you need to sleep. After that your top priority can be phys, but that is your decision. I've not met someone yet who cannot find an hour in the day to do phys, almost everyone finds something else to do instead. Bump phys to the top of your priority list.

2. Solve for tiredness. Often people don't start phys sessions because they feel tired already. You know when this is for you (varies hugely according to individuals and work pressures), so plan your phys sessions for when you personally are least tired during the day.

3. Stick to a schedule. If you are dropping phys sessions, make a clear and achievable schedule for a couple of weeks (exactly what and when), and make your top priority sticking to that schedule. Don't worry if your sessions aren't great quality because you are tired. Getting into the pattern of doing the schedule will make it easier to continue subsequently. Its like an animal returning to the food dish at the same time each day. Then you can focus on improving the quality and your performance.

K_NI

Reaction score
Thanks for this mate and it makes a hell of a lotta sense. I definitely could turn the commute into phys as it’s approx 7 mile door to door. I used to cycle it at a point so could dust of the old wheels again! Also I definitely could set and actually write down what I do and I know for a fact I could find time, especially in the evenings. Would you say the bulk of the phys you need for 4 Para would be from the course itself or will you really need to be doing a lot of it yourself during the week.

Snows

Reaction score
Thanks for this mate and it makes a hell of a lotta sense. I definitely could turn the commute into phys as it’s approx 7 mile door to door. I used to cycle it at a point so could dust of the old wheels again! Also I definitely could set and actually write down what I do and I know for a fact I could find time, especially in the evenings. Would you say the bulk of the phys you need for 4 Para would be from the course itself or will you really need to be doing a lot of it yourself during the week.
Sounds good. One point I'd note, cycling mostly uses the opposite muscle groups to running (or the same muscle groups stressed in opposite directions). This means it's a good active rest or cross-training activity to running, but it's not a replacement. You can't just do lots of cycling and then expect to be a good runner. I used to be a bike messenger, but 8hrs a day on a bike didn't translate into running ability. So make sure you focus your training on what you have to do, which is running. Look at @PhysMan 's posts about 80/20 training. Cycling can be some of your 80%, but the rest needs to focus on running.

There are guys on here with more recent experience, but I'd bet that 4 PARA still requires a lot of additional training in your own time. You'll attend maximum 4 days in any 14 day period on the course, and you need to train more than that to get or maintain the required fitness.