Flexible hours (scale up or down to suit your life)

joephox

Reaction score
Hi,

this bit is extracted from the 4PARA's Facebook page: Flexible hours (scale up or down to suit your life). I recently read that some memberes of the 21/23 do their reserve jobs as full-time jobs.

Assuming one has all the time in the world, I was wondering how "up" does "scale up" mean in the 4PARA.

Thanks

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
The maximum amount of days you can do is 207 days with an Additional Duties Commitment (ADC). If not the limit is about 117 days. What you can manage is down to you really.

Blisters

Reaction score
It’ll be the same for 21/23. You’ll not do anymore than 207 days. It’s down to legislation. Under law anything over that you would be entitled to full time benefits etc. From application to badging SAS (R) you’ll crack around 180 days if you include basic training and CIC.
4 PARA asks a lot too during training and attendance at all the training is mandatory and therefore support of your Employer and Family is essential. Financially you really shouldn’t treat it as your full time job.

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
To put some more structure behind the above:

The ARCs (Army Reserve Centre's) are manned during the week by Permanent Staff to run the Company on a day to day basis (Stores/Finance/Planning etc). There are additional days available to support, but are general driver/support days as/when/if needed, especially for new joiners with no Army quals. Whilst there are plenty of attachments available with the Regular battalions for exercises etc, 4 PARA shouldn't be seen as a full time job on a day to day basis unless joining on a FTRS contract (Full time Reserve Service).

joephox

Reaction score
That answers it, thanks guys.

It wasn't a financially-based query but in terms of knowing what both ends of the scale entailed. In my line of work I have some flexible periods where I can dedicate more hours and days and was curious about the upper limit.

Snows

Reaction score
Bear in mind that 207 days is only 34 days short of a standard full time job (when you adjust for weekends and 20 days annual leave).

Snows

Reaction score
@Snows thought the same. It's like having a very generous employer with AL.
...although without some of the ancilliary benefits of having a full-time employer. But in that regard the Army is actually a lot better than almost any other part-time employer, because they are basically set up to be a full-time employer, and since 2012ish some of the full-time benefits are also granted to Reserve service at a proportionate level. They also deal with the tax etc for you - although if it's your primary income, make sure you get your PSAO to reflect that or you'll pay too much tax.

Given that many young guys are used to a zero-hours world, however, the Reserves are definitely a better deal.

joephox

Reaction score
good point. In my case it would (will?) defo not be my primary income tho, it's just not feasible.