Guards Para Platoon

PhysMan

Reaction score
Hi lads, beyond all the "hat" banter what are opinions on the Guards Para Platoon? It is something I'm considering as (bit of a weirdo) doing a stint of ceremonial duty interests me. Actually used to enjoy the drill as an RM Nod but equally thrived in the field which was my strongest point in my RRTs.

I know they make up a Platoon in 3 Para. Can they also fulfil support coy roles like Recce? Lofty aspirations here but I imagine they can't go for SFSG, but maybe do make a good showing on PF selection?

Some 'dreamer' type questions there but definitely think it's important to have aspirations in the line, even if it's 3 or 4 years before they come to fruition.

Thank you

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
They are big fans of 3 PARA mortars. Banter will always be there and that’s just a fact of life but honestly having spoke to good mates they are by and large a decent bunch of lads and work hard and play harder. Anyone who hates them needs to grow up IMO. Im not 3 PARA but I remember seeing Guards recruits mincing about in ITC holding bright yellow rubber rifles! Also stood to attention outside cookhouse! I kid you not! Do you realise Guards Pl don’t do public duties as they attached to 3 PARA ORBAT. A load of them jumped in Ukraine recently and they get stuck into Bn life like the rest of the blokes. Also a good few have gone on Selection recently I heard and passed. Just expect to dig in with the rest of the Bn as they are quite alienated from the rest of the household div

PhysMan

Reaction score
They are big fans of 3 PARA mortars. Banter will always be there and that’s just a fact of life but honestly having spoke to good mates they are by and large a decent bunch of lads and work hard and play harder. Anyone who hates them needs to grow up IMO. Im not 3 PARA but I remember seeing Guards recruits mincing about in ITC holding bright yellow rubber rifles! Also stood to attention outside cookhouse! I kid you not! Do you realise Guards Pl don’t do public duties as they attached to 3 PARA ORBAT. A load of them jumped in Ukraine recently and they get stuck into Bn life like the rest of the blokes. Also a good few have gone on Selection recently I heard and passed. Just expect to dig in with the rest of the Bn as they are quite alienated from the rest of the household div

Brilliant thanks, that answer is spot on what I was keen to know. Leaving ceremonial behind would be no worry, I think doing it once would be more than enough and all guards do it as their first 6 month posting. Getting a bit alienated from household after that to focus on green soldiering would be ideal.

Good to hear they make a good show on selection etc too, as having a few mates that have passed it from the RM side now it has definitely become an aspiration to attempt one day.

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
The good thing about being Para Reg or attached arms is that you don’t have to look too far for someone to have first hand experience. Over 70% of 22 remains maroon. Was talking with a lad recently who’s a WO2 3 PARA and he mentioned that Guards Pl have some of their bods qual’d as Troop insertion and extraction system Team Leaders now.Which in plain English = Fast roping and Heli-Absei drills. So decent plt upskill

Crispy

Reaction score
How do you join guards para? Can you join from training?

PhysMan

Reaction score
How do you join guards para? Can you join from training?

From what my AFCO have told me, join Guards and then can apply at any time as long as you are fit and keen. All Arms P-Coy then join Guards Pl at 3 Para. Seems to be no cap on numbers as apparently it's actually a bit bigger than Platoon strength.

One lad I grew up with who joined the Irish Guards said it's often quite encouraged because a lot of lads don't pursue it.

Crispy

Reaction score
From what my AFCO have told me, join Guards and then can apply at any time as long as you are fit and keen. All Arms P-Coy then join Guards Pl at 3 Para. Seems to be no cap on numbers as apparently it's actually a bit bigger than Platoon strength.

One lad I grew up with who joined the Irish Guards said it's often quite encouraged because a lot of lads don't pursue it.
Thanks mate! That was my next question as it’s a platoon I figured it would be quite small!

Aldo

Reaction score

How long can you stay in Guards Pl ? Is it fixed term and you rotate back out to your parent guards unit or stay ?

PhysMan

Reaction score
How long can you stay in Guards Pl ? Is it fixed term and you rotate back out to your parent guards unit or stay ?

This I'm not sure, AFCO just told me what I've posted so far.

On a personal level I think if it is a time-limited draft (e.g. 2 years) then towards the end of the 2 years would be the time to attempt (and hopefully pass) PF or SF selection instead of rotating back.

Pringles

Reaction score
I’m ex Welsh Guards, never went Guards Para plt and it’s a regret. Currently in process of joining 4 PARA. If you’re interested in attempting All Arms P Company to join the platoon get it on your JPA as soon as possible mate. There’s a section now you can put course aspirations. Get in mentioned in any SJAR meetings and tell the PTIs too. Make it known with your CoC and you will get a course. All Arms are normally April, September, October and January. You’ll love it. Good atmosphere apparently, good working relationship with the Paras, good phys and apparently 3 PARA B Coy which the platoon sits in was the most deployed rifle coy in the British Army in 2019. You’ll get about.

The CSM

Reaction score
As mentioned above, a posting to the platoon is two years and then back to your home guards unit to spend some time, generally do some sort of course or promotion with an opportunity to go back as a different role/rank if required.
As Guards and Paras do the same training at ITC Catterick with P company and driving being the only difference you can apply transfer to Para Reg after you’ve served three years with the guards. Quite a few do rebadge as Paras.

Pringles

Reaction score
As the Paras and Guards do exactly the same training minus P company its an easy enough transition if you want to transfer. I know quite a few that did. You can go straight on to All Arms P company after ITC if you really want. If not once you get to your guards battalion just really make it known and you’ll deffo get a course.

Alec_Lomas

Reaction score
As a former PJI I had a healthy respect for the Guards, in the guise of 'Guards Indep. Para. Coy.' They were the Pathfinders for 16 Para. Bde which in my time was from the late 60's > 1980ish.
A tiny bit of history........ well before the 'official' f/fall parachuting courses, Guards Indep. sent their folks to the French Para school ( ETAP) based at Pau. They had a pool of military f/fallers three of whom we used when we commenced the HALO & HAHO trials (JSFTT) in 1970.