Hills

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Afternoon gents,

anybody got the scoop for increasing cardio/strength on hills? I’m getting out to a pretty steep one next week once the doms have cleared, torn between sprints/weighted power walk intervals, not a lot of weight - 8-15kg odd. History sprinting flats so hills are somewhat new to me, this one is anyway @ 20-25 degree incline or somewhere near there

Last edited:

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Good question well asked.

It is not advised that any potential recruits attempt to train with weight ahead of recruit training. You will be introduced gradually with your phase one element of your course. That being said there ARE things you can do to improve your chances. They are perfectly covered in @Snows post here

https://www.paras.uk/threads/weight-carrying-some-context.263/

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
Going up a hill with weight is one thing, coming down a hill with weight is high risk if you aren’t prepared correctly. That post of snows is mega so get eyes on

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Good question well asked.

It is not advised that any potential recruits attempt to train with weight ahead of recruit training. You will be introduced gradually with your phase one element of your course. That being said there ARE things you can do to improve your chances. They are perfectly covered in @Snows post here

https://www.paras.uk/threads/weight-carrying-some-context.263/
Going up a hill with weight is one thing, coming down a hill with weight is high risk if you aren’t prepared correctly. That post of snows is mega so get eyes on
Awesome guys I must’ve missed that Thank you, will dig in now 👍

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
In 4 PARA you’ll not tab until weekend 3/4 if I recall rightly. Quite low weight and very manageable pace. Through the training programme you will ramp this up but the point being it is best to do this on 4 PARAs time and not your own.
There are things you can do to help however, so definitely get out to these hills you’ve found and smash some quality hill sessions. Four rounds of 15-30 seconds hill sprinting will toast you more than you think but the gains are great. Then with regards to weight carrying for now you can look to build your core up and muscle stability around your joints.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
In 4 PARA you’ll not tab until weekend 3/4 if I recall rightly. Quite low weight and very manageable pace. Through the training programme you will ramp this up but the point being it is best to do this on 4 PARAs time and not your own.
There are things you can do to help however, so definitely get out to these hills you’ve found and smash some quality hill sessions. Four rounds of 15-30 seconds hill sprinting will toast you more than you think but the gains are great. Then with regards to weight carrying for now you can look to build your core up and muscle stability around your joints.
Brilliant @Big_Shep Thank you. The urge is strong I must say but il take all points on board, will drop the weight out and stick to the basics for now 👍 cheers again lads very helpful

Chelonian

Reaction score
Going up a hill with weight is one thing, coming down a hill with weight is high risk if you aren’t prepared correctly.
My bold here. So true.
Regardless of fitness descents can be damaging, particularly when carrying weight.

Knees should last a lifetime if properly cared for. 🙂

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
Get used to walking at a fast pace right to the point you feel you are about to break into a jog but don’t. Practice this over different terrain and hills. Also look to build the muscle groups you’ll use in tabbing. The more muscle you build around your joints the better protected you’ll be when you start chucking weight on.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Get used to walking at a fast pace right to the point you feel you are about to break into a jog but don’t. Practice this over different terrain and hills. Also look to build the muscle groups you’ll use in tabbing. The more muscle you build around your joints the better protected you’ll be when you start chucking weight on.
Ace dude nice one, I do walk on stilts so I can hold a 9 and half min fast walk quite easily but haven’t tried it on the hills yet, my usual running routes are quite slopey which is nice but I’ve only just found this gnarly hill which is asking for it. A DS from TSFE suggested IF weighted walks are a must (which they aren’t for me at the moment let’s be honest but would be nice) then glutes, quads and hamstring development prior should mitigate the cons of such activities.
you made a good point in your PM so I’m now less inclined/motivated to wreck myself on my own time lol cheers again for the pointers lads!

Snows

Reaction score
Knees should last a lifetime if properly cared for. 🙂
Hah. Not if that lifetime is spent taking a knee! As the top knee consultant in the UK said to me: "I keep getting referrals from the Army, and I keep telling them that knees aren't meant for kneeling."

Top tip lads, learn the Gurkha / Afghan villager / Vietcong squat position. It takes years to get used to and comfortable, but it's a valid (and quick!) firing position and will save you lots of pain later in life.

PhysMan

Reaction score
Hah. Not if that lifetime is spent taking a knee! As the top knee consultant in the UK said to me: "I keep getting referrals from the Army, and I keep telling them that knees aren't meant for kneeling."

Top tip lads, learn the Gurkha / Afghan villager / Vietcong squat position. It takes years to get used to and comfortable, but it's a valid (and quick!) firing position and will save you lots of pain later in life.

Funny enough when I was working across Asia I made it my mission to learn this squat position - can't say I've kept it up but when you get the hang of it it's such a natural and easy one to drop into.

Ref knee injuries from kneeling - knew a lad at CTCRM who was med discharged in the end - his knee swole bigger than a football with fluid when he had taken a knee on gravel with a full Field bergen, his own training team being the old school types that banned knee pads for nods. He was a bigger lad maybe 100kg so probably talking 150-160kg all in being forced through a knee cap!

Chelonian

Reaction score
As the top knee consultant in the UK said to me: "I keep getting referrals from the Army, and I keep telling them that knees aren't meant for kneeling."
Sounds familiar. 🙂 Orthopaedic consultant anecdote:

Patient: "My knee hurts when I bend it."
Consultant: "Well stop bending it then!"