History for interview at ac

Dil

Reaction score
Alright lads , what topics about para history do I need to know for my interview at AC ?

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
Learn the VC winners and make sure you know all the P Company events. (y)

Reactions: Dil

Dot

Reaction score
The key date is the date of formation which is 22 June 1940 when Winston Churchill called for the formation of an elite regiment of airborne troops. Also I have learn the role statement off by heart

The Parachute Regiment is the airborne infantry regiment of the British Army. The 1st Battalion is permanently under the command of the Director Special Forces in the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG). The other battalions are the parachute infantry component of the British Army's rapid response formation, 16 Air Assault Brigade.

Paratroopers are trained to conduct a range of missions, from prevention and pre-emption tasks, to complex, high intensity war fighting. Watchwords are professionalism, resilience, discipline, versatility, courage and self-reliance”

Different interviewers will probably ask different questions but really it’s a way to gauge your motivation.

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
Do i need to know everything about them or just their names ?
Dates and names mate. You’ll probably not have to reel them off but be able to name a few to show you’ve researched the history.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
I had my interview pre-covid but wasn’t asked about anything regarding the reg, that’s not to say you won’t be asked at your interviews.They won’t expect you to know everything but do know the basics, cdrils, stages of training, what they require from an individual/what’s necessary to become successful which is pretty much what your cdrils are about - and then some.
My AC is a bit of a haze now as feels ages ago but what stood out more to them in my eyes was how you interact with others and conduct yourself (as well as doing well in tests/RFTEs) 👍

Last edited:

Dot

Reaction score
I had my interview pre-covid but wasn’t asked about anything regarding the reg, that’s not to say you won’t be asked at your interviews.They won’t expect you to know all VC / battle honours / everything but do know the basics, cdrils, stages of training, what they require from an individual/what’s necessary to become successful which is pretty much what your cdrils are about - and then some.
Can’t touch on why I wasn’t asked, some were some weren’t, from the sounds/looks of it if they ask you questions in your interview perhaps they need further indications that you ARE sure of your choices (?) but, I’m speculating so yeah, do know the basics at least. My AC is a bit of a haze now as feels ages ago but what stood out more to them in my eyes was how you interact with others and conduct yourself 👍
Might be different as you are joining as a reserve? But yes I think the main point is learn all the above as it shows you are taking it seriously. I’ve learnt the VC winners of by heart.

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
All, think about what an interview actually is. It is a mechanism to find out more about you and explore your motivation and determination to join in equal measure. Your recruiter IS NOT looking to catch you out. Same goes for PRAC.

Whether your interview is online or in person at an assessment centre make sure you look the part. Take some pride in your appearance and dress accordingly. Tidy hair, clean shaven, shoulders back, chest out and do not mumble.

It is likely you will be asked about your general background. This will enable them to gauge more about you and you may be asked if your family supports your application. This is to explore if there are any potential welfare issues.

School/education background and any sports clubs you belonged to. Again this will ascertain your educational background as well as how you got on at school. You may also be asked about your work experience.

Be prepared to be able to provide key stats regarding your physical prep. Such as your bleep test ability, your 2 km run time etc. You will be asked if you understand what the entry requirements are.

And finally your motivation. This can be teased out by asking you what do you know about Para Reg and some basic history. VC winners and key dates will help. You might be asked where we are based and what does basic training entail and P coy. You may also be asked more general questions such as the Army’s values and standards, drug policy etc.

If your prepare for the above you will have no dramas at the interview no matter what shape it will take. Good luck

San Carlos

Reaction score
All, think about what an interview actually is. It is a mechanism to find out more about you and explore your motivation and determination to join in equal measure. Your recruiter IS NOT looking to catch you out. Same goes for PRAC.

Whether your interview is online or in person at an assessment centre make sure you look the part. Take some pride in your appearance and dress accordingly. Tidy hair, clean shaven, shoulders back, chest out and do not mumble.

It is likely you will be asked about your general background. This will enable them to gauge more about you and you may be asked if your family supports your application. This is to explore if there are any potential welfare issues.

School/education background and any sports clubs you belonged to. Again this will ascertain your educational background as well as how you got on at school. You may also be asked about your work experience.

Be prepared to be able to provide key stats regarding your physical prep. Such as your bleep test ability, your 2 km run time etc. You will be asked if you understand what the entry requirements are.

And finally your motivation. This can be teased out by asking you what do you know about Para Reg and some basic history. VC winners and key dates will help. You might be asked where we are based and what does basic training entail and P coy. You may also be asked more general questions such as the Army’s values and standards, drug policy etc.

If your prepare for the above you will have no dramas at the interview no matter what shape it will take. Good luck
This sums up my interview. As always great information from @Iron