How likely are the Paras to Parachute?

Aldo

Reaction score
Not looking to insult or come across as petty. Just making discussion and keen to hear some input? You constantly read that the last time the Paras actually parachuted operationally was Suez in the 1950s. Is it a bit pointless in today’s warfare? I understand how Para training sets the Paras apart from the rest but I’m specifically talking about the need to actually parachute.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
It depends on the situation. Battalion sized drops are less likely but smaller drops are more palatable. The point is once you lose a capacity it's very hard to get back and things can look useless until they're needed. Much was made about the marines doing beach assaults until the falklands kicked off. If we need the capacity you can't expect any random soldier to jump into a situation with a short life expectancy, isolated, outgunned and actually do well. It takes a certain type of character to want to be in this position. The role attracts innately aggressive men and the training hones its actually what's needed. How can we claim to be world leading military without our world famous airborne forces.

Fizz

Reaction score
When you consider the range of a C130/C17 versus chinooks you can work out why it’s retained. Para insertion allows UK to deploy shock troops rapidly and with an effective show of force. There is a reason why it has existed for so long.

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
There will be times when they will need to get a lot of men in position quickly, and by parachuting them in will still be the quickest way to put Paras on the ground.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Airborne capability extends the UK's global reach and influence. Picking up the point well made by @Iron France and Belgium understand this. Zaire 1978 is worth researching.
Once a capability is binned to satisfy a short-sighted, short-term budget deficit it is very difficult to regain.

Reaction score
I have very little knowledge on the subject, but cast your eyes to Rhodesia and their Fireforce teams. Fireforce soldiers were parachuting into action "up to 3 times a day", with some soldiers making in excess of 50 combat jumps. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Snows

Reaction score
Echo what @DannyMac says. I know its in the name, but don't get hung up on the parachuting guys. It's not your goal, it's a reward if you achieve your goal.

Any fucker can fall out of a plane. It's what happens afterwards that separates Para Reg from the rest. Arnhem isn't a story about men jumping out of planes, it's a story about men continuing to fight outnumbered against tanks for ten days with no support and no kit. That's the ethos you should focus on.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Echo what @DannyMac says. I know its in the name, but don't get hung up on the parachuting guys. It's not your goal, it's a reward if you achieve your goal.

Any fucker can fall out of a plane. It's what happens afterwards that separates Para Reg from the rest. Arnhem isn't a story about men jumping out of planes, it's a story about men continuing to fight outnumbered against tanks for ten days with no support and no kit. That's the ethos you should focus on.
Well said! It’s nothing more than a delivery mechanism. What matters is what you do on the ground.

Tolley

Reaction score
Trust me boys the requirement for speedy, preventive deployments is still really important. There will always be a case for airborne troops who can operate at the limits of endurance. There is a reason that the Parachute Regiment survives. 16AA units are all designed to be light and agile and ready to deploy at short notice. The parachutes won’t be going anywhere don’t worry!!