Join as a Private or Officer?

TheSaint

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Although I didn’t complete my degree I still have the required qualifications & UCAS points to apply for Officer entry.
Just looking for some advice on which is the best path to take for a 20 year old who wants to experience as much as possible within the Paras. I’m aware both are hard paths to go down so any comments are welcome.
I've also been informed that you can apply for a commission at any point after finishing depot and becoming a private, can anyone confirm this for me?

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
@Scraps is academically qualified for Officer but he choose to join the ranks instead. He can give you his take.
The two are very different jobs with different responsibilities. What is your understanding of each?

Mad Frank

Para Reg
Reaction score
What do you actually want from a career in the Reg. You might answer your own question. Toms & NCOs are more likely to be firing at an enemy but officers are more concerned with strategic planning on the ground

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I still have the required qualifications & UCAS points to apply for Officer entry.
Possession of academic qualifications for Officer merely opens the door to apply for that career path.

As referenced by @Tony_m you will only be able to make an informed decision when you have thoroughly researched Other Rank and Officer roles.

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
The role of a shiny new Pln Comd ?

Gold answer - Lead by Example, Encourage Thinking, Apply Reward & Discipline, Demand High Performance, Encourage Confidence in the Team, Recognise Individual Strengths & Weaknesses, Strive for Team Goals

Real answer - Be a good bloke. Do as your told, listen to your NCOs, protect the men from the brown smelly stuff.

Scraps

Reaction score
Yeah so as @Tony_m said, I was quallied up to be a reserve officer but decided to just join the ranks. To be honest this was a choice made for very specific reasons at the time but it boiled down to really one factor for me. I was joining the TA to get some soldiering experience, specifically green skills and field time. Had I joined as an officer the role would have reduced that to a certain extent. Obviously a hat officer would be out in the field with the boys, especially as a one pip but as others have pointed out, as a Rupert your primary job is to manage and lead the men, not get stuck into the thick of it. Other courses and roles that I was interested in possibly looking at further down the line also meant that being an officer would have ruled those out.

I'm not sure how it works these days and the unit I was in was a TA hat outfit not the paras. I also joined at the height of Herrick going on so that will have had an effect on how things were panning out. I did get some very light pressure from the officers at my unit to consider commissioning as I was quallied but nothing major or distracting. Again, this was probably circumstance at the time with tours and manning etc.

My 2p for what it's worth here, in my opinion it really comes down to what you want to get out of a career in the Army, and being honest, if you feel you've got the stuff to lead paratroopers.