Joining 4 PARA between cadres

LLB

Reaction score
In the event you pass your AC but are between the June and January intakes for 4 PARA what happens? Do you just wait 6 /7 months to start or do you get the opportunity to train ahead of the cadre?

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
Once you have attested and have a regimental number, you are able to attend training nights - There will be a holding platoon where you will start to receive basic lessons before the course starts - stick with it!

Dai1984

Reaction score
Once you have attested and have a regimental number, you are able to attend training nights - There will be a holding platoon where you will start to receive basic lessons before the course starts - stick with it!
Good to know. I was advised to apply now but haven’t got my 2k time up to scratch yet and wanted to get that in order before pulling the trigger.

Mark

Reaction score
Good to know. I was advised to apply now but haven’t got my 2k time up to scratch yet and wanted to get that in order before pulling the trigger.
How far away are you in terms of achieving the required entry standard? Are you aware that the 2 km run is currently replaced by the MSFT (bleep test)? Ensure your training is specific and you are measuring your results against goals.

You are absolutely right to acknowledge that it is an individual responsibility to prepare physically. It is essential that candidates arrive fully fit, carrying no injuries and with a great attitude to learn.

That said, my advice for someone creeping up towards the upper age limit is push forward with your application as fast as you can at the beginning, to avoid delays resulting from errors, or to identify potential problems that could later become a source of delay. If things proceed smoothly and quickly, later on you can put the brakes on things very easily. I’ll not step on the toes of @4 PARA HQ here who are the subject matter experts with regards to 4 PARA prep.
Definitely tackle your fitness short comings with a good structured running programme but also don’t count yourself out whilst you wait to become superman. For now all you require is the ability to pass the REFT, 11.6 bleep test. You may be closer to this starting standard than you think. Time isn’t on your side

Dai1984

Reaction score
How far away are you in terms of achieving the required entry standard? Are you aware that the 2 km run is currently replaced by the MSFT (bleep test)? Ensure your training is specific and you are measuring your results against goals.

You are absolutely right to acknowledge that it is an individual responsibility to prepare physically. It is essential that candidates arrive fully fit, carrying no injuries and with a great attitude to learn.

That said, my advice for someone creeping up towards the upper age limit is push forward with your application as fast as you can at the beginning, to avoid delays resulting from errors, or to identify potential problems that could later become a source of delay. If things proceed smoothly and quickly, later on you can put the brakes on things very easily. I’ll not step on the toes of @4 PARA HQ here who are the subject matter experts with regards to 4 PARA prep.
Definitely tackle your fitness short comings with a good structured running programme but also don’t count yourself out whilst you wait to become superman. For now all you require is the ability to pass the REFT, 11.6 bleep test. You may be closer to this starting standard than you think. Time isn’t on your side
I’m about 30 off 8 mins. I’m disregarding 8:15 as I don’t want to aim for the bear minimum. I’m still in the process of building the size and strength back into my right leg too so it’s going in the right direction. The fact that I now know I can pause the application process leads me to be more inclined to apply now. That’s the main reason I was holding off applying. I didn’t want the assessment to come round and I still wasn’t 100% ready for it and fail. I will start practicing the bleep test though. I’ve been running the 2km because there’s a straight bit of cycle lane right outside my house. But I have been meaning to do the bleep test as no doubt it’ll still be in place by the time the assessment comes around.
Thanks for the advice 👍👍

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
I’ve known blokes to lose a year to med appeals. If you are fit enough to pass the entry then don’t delay I think is the point.