Max age for 4 PARA?

Nuggetbks

Reaction score
Getting some conflicting information on arrse. What is the maximum age to start 4 Para training?

ChelseaBoy

Reaction score
17 years 9 months - 39 years 6 months
Army website has these as the age limits for Reserve Paras

Nuggetbks

Reaction score
You need to start P Coy before 40 due to the boxing rules around milling, advice is to apply before your 39th birthday to give time to process through the application.
Top! Thanks a lot

Dai1984

Reaction score
Has anybody joined in their mid 30’s? I’m 36 and after 20 years of having a team player mentality in a world where everyone is out for themselves, I’ve finally got the military urge and want to do something to make my sons proud (truck mechanic isn’t something to tell the grandkids). I’m above average fitness due to my work and regular exercise, though I’d give myself a year to get fully up to scratch before attempting to join. My only question is I know the max age is 39 but is 36/37 realistically too old?

Last edited:

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
On my regular course the oldest on my intake was 28 and he smashed it but I seen/heard about reserves and all arms lads deep in their 30s passing so it can be done. Speak to @Big_Shep as he was 4 PARA.
At a guess I reckon it comes down to the individual. Just be careful you don’t cut it too fine as you could be locked up in the recruitment process for a year. I’d say you're biggest problem as an oldie is coping with any small niggles that turn into injuries and your fellow recruits might be ten years younger! But 4 PARA from the ones I’ve seen tend to be a bit older on average than us but still do the job well! If you want it enough you’ll do it.

Aldo

Reaction score
@Mac_t1lt Is in his 30s and joining 4 Para too mate, he might help get your head in the game

Dai1984

Reaction score
That’s great. These the kind of things I’m looking to find out. I’m not 37 until December next year so I’ve given myself 12 months to get down to fighting weight. But I’ll reassess in the summer and will go for it earlier if I’m ready. Most of my plan will be made of getting my aerobic up-to scratch and mobility to help prevent injury as much as possible. Are you allowed to take preventative measures on Pcoy etc? Like straps, tape, blister patches etc?

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
That’s great. These the kind of things I’m looking to find out. I’m not 37 until December next year so I’ve given myself 12 months to get down to fighting weight. But I’ll reassess in the summer and will go for it earlier if I’m ready. Most of my plan will be made of getting my aerobic up-to scratch and mobility to help prevent injury as much as possible. Are you allowed to take preventative measures on Pcoy etc? Like straps, tape, blister patches etc?

I know a bloke who passed All Arms P Coy at 37 and later transferred in to 2 PARA as an NCO. On the topic of tapes and straps I can’t see it being an issue. But you’ll not be able to self medicate. If something major is up it’s important you go via the medics.

Dai1984

Reaction score
I know a bloke who passed All Arms P Coy at 37 and later transferred in to 2 PARA as an NCO. On the topic of tapes and straps I can’t see it being an issue. But you’ll not be able to self medicate. If something major is up it’s important you go via the medics.
Great to know someone has actually been and done it at my age. Yeah that makes sense. I was under the impression any type of support would be a no-go so that’s reassuring.

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
@4 PARA HQ
@Big_Shep

It will surely come down to you. You’ll be given the same preparation as anyone else and if you put the graft in it can and has been done. Key is staying injury free

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
Great to know someone has actually been and done it at my age. Yeah that makes sense. I was under the impression any type of support would be a no-go so that’s reassuring.
I passed Reserve P Company aged 32. I continued to serve with 4 PARA until I was 40 and in all honesty I never felt too far behind the fitness of 2 or 3 PARA soldiers.
P Coy knocks, rattles and batters you. I’ll not sugar coat it. It is designed to simulate the stresses of operations. The training prior is progressive and will aim to enhance the required components of military physical fitness. Which I think are ; Endurance; Strength; Mobility; Speed; Power and Flexibility. As an older candidate it is advised you put the extra work in to develop and maintain these. Really focus on your strength and cardio in particular. It will provide the base on which to build the resilience required to carry heavier weights for longer periods at a slower patrolling pace, plus the ability to operate anaerobically in short, intense bursts of energy. The ability to be able to “turn-on” a burst of extreme energy is vital. 4 PARA is an operational unit and you need to be able to reach a required standard of fitness not for ego, but for operational purposes. At the extreme end of the scale will you be able preform a casualty extraction under fire wearing body armour and carrying full kit? You must be conditioned to cope with these physical stresses.
The training is progressive but you need to put the work in outside of the hours too.

Shep

Dickie

Reaction score
I passed Reserve P Company aged 32. I continued to serve with 4 PARA until I was 40 and in all honesty I never felt too far behind the fitness of 2 or 3 PARA soldiers.
P Coy knocks, rattles and batters you. I’ll not sugar coat it. It is designed to simulate the stresses of operations. The training prior is progressive and will aim to enhance the required components of military physical fitness. Which I think are ; Endurance; Strength; Mobility; Speed; Power and Flexibility. As an older candidate it is advised you put the extra work in to develop and maintain these. Really focus on your strength and cardio in particular. It will provide the base on which to build the resilience required to carry heavier weights for longer periods at a slower patrolling pace, plus the ability to operate anaerobically in short, intense bursts of energy. The ability to be able to “turn-on” a burst of extreme energy is vital. 4 PARA is an operational unit and you need to be able to reach a required standard of fitness not for ego, but for operational purposes. At the extreme end of the scale will you be able preform a casualty extraction under fire wearing body armour and carrying full kit? You must be conditioned to cope with these physical stresses.
The training is progressive but you need to put the work in outside of the hours too.

Shep

If you were to stay injury free and passing any expected fitness test, what sort of age could you realistically stay in 4 para til?

Dickie

Dickie

Reaction score
@4 PARA HQ
@Big_Shep

It will surely come down to you. You’ll be given the same preparation as anyone else and if you put the graft in it can and has been done. Key is staying injury free

Just to add, Prevention is better than a cure. Especially for the older lads if you are very stiff and rigid, Lots of flexibility and mobility work can be the key to preventing a lot of injury's.

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
If you were to stay injury free and passing any expected fitness test, what sort of age could you realistically stay in 4 para til?

Dickie
Think you can draw your pension at 55 or 60 depending on what scheme you are on. Also probably depends on your rank and if you are on any extensions.

4 PARA HQ

4 PARA
Reaction score
Correct, 55 with annual extensions for mitigating circumstances (no replacement available etc)