Mental Resilience

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
**Please move thread if applicable**

(Alert: Long Post)

As human beings we have emotions. Some jobs may seem easier without them but this is rarely true. Often we are controlled by our emotions instead of learning how to control our emotions in a progressive and constructive manner. This thread is to touch on what can be done to mitigate and alleviate the affects of improper stress management. DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert in stress management nor am I an expert in any form of management other than my own time, passions and commitments. This is a personal account which others can take from and add to as they wish, as I myself am always willing to learn.

Mental Resilience.

According to the American Psychological Association, ‘Psychologists define resilience as the process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats, or significant sources of stress—such as family and relationship problems, serious health problems, or workplace and financial stressors.’

Below are a couple things (likely to grow) a person can do to build mental resilience/emotional stability which I’ve found helpful in a journey to forge my own. 1. Exercising and setting fitness goals. A lot of the time it feels disgusting, but having the discipline to carry on and push through what’s difficult trains your mind to adapt to what’s happening. ‘Hitting the wall’ constantly is a great way to build physical robustness which can be used to formulate a psychological tolerance to what’s acceptable. This can be built upon and enhanced by adequate sleep, rest and proper eating habits. Look into ‘David Goggins’ for an example of this or join a Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu class to find out for yourself. 2. Riding the effects of personal trauma and using this to your advantage. Accepting situations and your emotions as normal, being positive and optimistic in the vicinity of those around you, helps build a strong sense of worth and value in your virtues. It’s also helped to remember that most emotions and problems are short lived so remembering the 7 C’s may come in handy. Competence, Contribution, Character, Connection, Confidence, Coping & Control. Emotional stability is often correlated to a good level of mental resilience so work on one and the other SHOULD follow. Anxiety is a massively common emotion, 99.5% of us will experience it at some point in our lives. Aside from its disorders, most can be overcome with healthy mental habits and lifestyle adjustments. Understanding and rationalising our fears and worries helps to put things into perspective, which lets us refocus on our objectives and tasks at hand. Again, repetition is the key to creating habits, positive or negative, so CHOOSE what you wish to do. The British Army have a program on MRT (Mental Resilience Training) conducted by ‘Opsmart’ which has its origins in sport and performance psychology. Have a read to grasp a better understanding.

Additions to this post are very welcome as I look forward to growing on this subject myself. Master your mind and body. Do not be mastered.

Scraps

Reaction score
I'm glad this topic has popped up Mac thank you. This is something that Tony, Iron and myself will hopefully be (with Admins blessing) be able to develop in here. Your post is very much in agreement with a lot of the stuff we hope to put out and help lads with mate so it's great to see someone on the same page already!

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
I'm glad this topic has popped up Mac thank you. This is something that Tony, Iron and myself will hopefully be (with Admins blessing) be able to develop in here. Your post is very much in agreement with a lot of the stuff we hope to put out and help lads with mate so it's great to see someone on the same page already!
No dramas mate just an idea as have been asked on mindset required for particular jobs before so I thought I’d post about it get it out there as it’s quite overlooked at times.

BT9

Reaction score
What appeals me to the Paras isn’t that they turn their noses up at this sort of thing but equally it’s still ok to be a man! A place that it’s ok to help your brothers out but equally a place that when the going gets tough they don’t crumble and never quit!

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Learning how to pick yourself up after a failure is huge. A lot of blokes see themselves off after failing something in Depot or being put in Williams coy which is rehab company. You need some balls about you and not let set backs crush you

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Learning how to pick yourself off after a failure is huge. A lot of blokes see themselves off after failing something in Depot or being put in Williams coy (rehab).
Touched on a very important fundamental here Mackers. A lad failed his run by like 20 seconds and packed his application in shortly after, like, what? Zero grit, told staff what’s the point, after 1 failure. The amount of setbacks and failures I’ve had past year have put me in a far better position.

Last edited:

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Touched on a very important fundamental here Mackers. A lad failed his run by like 20 seconds and packed his application in shortly after, like, what? Zero grit, told staff what’s the point, after 1 failure. The amount of setbacks and failures I’ve had past year have put me in a far better position.

That’s what makes the difference. I use to get aggressive with myself in my mind! Not letting myself listen to that little shitty voice that tells you to stop. The Reg is no place for the weak of mind and body

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
No one can go from 0-100. No one tips up at Depot ready to smash p coy. It’s progressive training that builds resilience every day. The more you focus on the actual “journey” the more you learn. Those who roll over and quit the second they have a wobble end up in a cycle of misery in my eyes. Paras dust themselves off, find the learning and get right back into the race. It’s far easier to slip into a victim mindset than it is to discipline yourself into staying positive.
Also do not write yourself off after a bad DAY, they happen. Not every bad mood is a mental health problem. It’s when you stay down they roll into weeks and months. Don’t underestimate the importance of good phys, good scoff and a decent amount of sleep. Without these three your mind can become foggy and you’ll be less resilient to stress.

Scraps

Reaction score
Paras dust themselves off, find the learning and get right back into the race. It’s far easier to slip into a victim mindset than it is to discipline yourself into staying positive.
Also do not write yourself off after a bad DAY, they happen. Not every bad mood is a mental health problem.

Those two lines above are pure and utter gold lads, pay heed and remember them.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Also be that good egg. Ask your Oppos if they need a hand with something? Get around the weaker members and help when needed. If you sense something isn’t right have the moral courage and selfless commitment to do something about it.

Don’t shy away from telling your mate to pick his chin up- be it over a brew in camp, in the pouring rain on some awful exercise or out on Ops. A bit of morale goes a very long way.

Scraps

Reaction score
Gen, I can't agree with Admin enough here. See when you're soaked, knackered and freezing (which trust me, you WILL BE), never underestimate the value of a bit of humour lads. Us brits are famous for spitting in the eye of hardship with a good shitty joke or brutal banter. Embrace it and you'll feel x10 times better.

Aldo

Reaction score
Gen, I can't agree with Admin enough here. See when you're soaked, knackered and freezing (which trust me, you WILL BE), never underestimate the value of a bit of humour lads. Us brits are famous for spitting in the eye of hardship with a good shitty joke or brutal banter. Embrace it and you'll feel x10 times better.
I’ve had some great laughs at inappropriate times mate. Its a coping mechanism!

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Speak to any lad who’s been on HERRICK and he’s a funny fucker

Scraps

Reaction score
Once on a cold, wet, middle of the night march in the pissing rain in TA basic. I'll never forget the morale hero that our colour was. A lot of the lads were pissed off and gen it was miserable. Pissing rain and about 3°c. Horrid. So all of a sudden the colour starts honking about how his wife isn't putting out the goods in bed anymore, swearing blind that his black.and Decker drill has gone missing, saying she's probably nicked it to build a DIY solo bedroom kit.

Rarely have I laughed like that and it perked the lads right up and smashed the march out with smiles.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
Once on a cold, wet, middle of the night march in the pissing rain in TA basic. I'll never forget the morale hero that our colour was. A lot of the lads were pissed off and gen it was miserable. Pissing rain and about 3°c. Horrid. So all of a sudden the colour starts honking about how his wife isn't putting out the goods in bed anymore, swearing blind that his black.and Decker drill has gone missing, saying she's probably nicked it to build a DIY solo bedroom kit.

Rarely have I laughed like that and it perked the lads right up and smashed the march out with smiles.
What’s your thoughts on showing Joe the realities of war? Like I mean showing them IED aftermath? People need to realise joining Para Reg is joining an elite fighting unit and it isn’t some of phys jolly and that bad shit can go down would that help or the opposite?

Scraps

Reaction score
That's a very interesting question mate and to be honest I'm not the best person to answer that. I've never been in action myself but I do have close mates that have seen tons of combat.

In my civvie working life I've had jobs where coming across bodies or crime aftermaths wouldn't have been uncommon though so I can maybe speak from that angle.

I think this really comes down to the individual if I'm honest. Some will find it hard to compute and it may very well do much more harm than good. Others might find that it steels them. I honestly don't know oppo. Personally, I never found grizzly scenes themselves to be overly difficult to process but everyone is different on that. I'd say that it's probably less the grizzly stuff and more the combat itself that gets into people mate but like I say, I'm not the best person to answer that.