Mental Resilience

Blisters

Reaction score
You’ll hear “don’t take it personally” but it’s easier to say that than to do it. Sometimes the mantra “to forget is the next best thing to forgiveness” might help
Sometimes you have to just force yourself to accept reality, you can’t change the past, move on and focus on the positive. If there is something you can do about it, start improving. If it’s out of your control then you can’t change it

Scraps

Reaction score
For me I know I need to work on just not taken stuff so personal. I can have a habit of beating myself up over mistakes for ages
This is a very common thing Dot. We all have the tendency to be our own worst critic. Here's the deal though, you have control over this critic. It's in your head so you can turn the volume down on that wee gremlin and eventually learn to switch it off totally

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
With regards to feeling like you are drawing negative comments & punishments in training. Just remember, as @Scraps has rightly said, it is all apart of the game. Just about everything the training team throw at you has a training value. It might be to hammer in the importance of attention to detail or to demonstrate that discomfort is not a barrier to being effective. It will build confidence and resilience. It’s rarely personal

Blisters

Reaction score
Also remember that we are never perfect, not even Paras (runs and hides) we are always a work in progress. Knowing this somewhat disarms the tendency to take things too personally

Grasshead

Reaction score
Ant Middletons books are actually really good with regards to mindset. He is a big advocate in the power of positivity and they are worth a read

Grasshead

Reaction score
Oh God... don't get me started on Ant Middleton 🤮
Why do you know him? If not then have you read the books?
Fact is he addresses his haters like this and teaches readers on how to find positives and use negativity as a fuel to improve. I recommend listening to his audio books that he has uploaded for free to youtube. Fear bubble is really good. There’s a line I love when someone said to him “Ant you’ve changed” and he replied “I like to think I’ve changed you’ve not seen me for 8 years!”
He talks a lot about evolving as a person. Also about the strength it takes to walk away from fights. It’s something young lads could get a lot from, he is open about going to prison and the lessons he learned along the way

Scraps

Reaction score
In the interests of keeping the forum out of a slander lawsuit I'll keep my mouth shut and all I'll say is he has a slight habit of "exagerating" aspects of his service.

But in seriousness, if you find his book works for you then that's what matters. It's about finding motivation and inspiration that works for you

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
In the interests of keeping the forum out of a slander lawsuit I'll keep my mouth shut and all I'll say is he has a slight habit of "exagerating" aspects of his service.

But in seriousness, if you find his book works for you then that's what matters. It's about finding motivation and inspiration that works for you
Good point. Taking motivation from others can be really effective.

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
Don’t let the weakness of others infect you. If you see others in depot quit don’t follow them as they always regret it! They see the hats having an easy time and transfer to them. If there is no changing their mind then cut them off and focus on you and your oppos that actually want the maroon machine

Dot

Reaction score
This is a very common thing Dot. We all have the tendency to be our own worst critic. Here's the deal though, you have control over this critic. It's in your head so you can turn the volume down on that wee gremlin and eventually learn to switch it off totally
Thanks @Scraps I know I definitely have a bad habit of beating myself up over mistakes for to long

Nutter

Reaction score
Thanks @Scraps I know I definitely have a bad habit of beating myself up over mistakes for to long
Here’s the thing fella.. it’s not a mystery to you. What I mean is this is something you’ve picked up on yourself. You’ve identified it so you can work on it mate. How often do you feel good after putting yourself through the mill after you fuck up? If the answer is never then it’s a habit that doesn’t serve a purpose so drop it. Not wording this great but hopefully you see what I mean.

Grasshead

Reaction score
Something else I think is important is to surround yourself with positive people and cut out negative people as all they do is sap your energy.

Snows

Reaction score
Something else I think is important is to surround yourself with positive people and cut out negative people as all they do is sap your energy.

Thing is mate, you don't always get the choice. In training they are going to put you under pressure, and negative is a polite way to describe how they do it. Every arduous course in the world exists for one reason: to put you under pressure, and take you to the point your mind, your legs, your lungs, can not go on, and just have to stop. Then, they see what you do. The one quality shared by those who pass is: they didn't stop.

That is all you. Nobody else can help, and nobody else is to blame. There is no voice in your head, it's just you. Decide that you are not going to stop. If you do that and stick it, there's a good chance you pass.

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
Good point about that there is no voice in your head. It literally is your own inner voice. You are the only person who can change the script that inner voice is reading from. In terms of negative people you’ll get them everywhere, the sort who drip and whinge at every opportunity. Always the victim. Distance from them

Grasshead

Reaction score
This short video from Ant Middleton is actually very useful I think.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
I didn’t initially start with the reg. I spent 3 years as a Pte with a line Inf Regiment. Never fully settled in my battalion and made noise about wanting to go Maroon from all most day one. It took a lot of mocking, bullshit opinions, OC interviews, paperwork, pestering bosses and jumping through hoops but eventually my transfer was approved and after completing P company in 2013 I finally made it into 3 PARA.
Of course there was banter about my “hat” history but I soon clicked into place in my platoon and the rest is history as they say!
Mental resilience is so important and my advice is that if you have a dream or ambition is to stick with it.
You have to stay mentally tough not to change your plans if you know in your gut it’s what you want to do. Any questions just ask