New tom

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Your recent experience will undoubtedly help others here.

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
I landed at battalion not long before the first lockdown so missed the brunt of it. But from what I can tell they run it well. Platoons form households and they stagger things like meal times and signing weapons out to avoid mixing bubbles

Simo2020

Reaction score
I landed at battalion not long before the first lockdown so missed the brunt of it. But from what I can tell they run it well. Platoons form households and they stagger things like meal times and signing weapons out to avoid mixing
what was life like when you first got to battalion? Did you have to wait long to do your jumps? Do you get weekends of?

Brixstix

Reaction score
Passed out last year. Shout up if I can help
Hey well done on passing out. Are you enjoying it so far and how long was it until you weren’t the new guy at battalion ?

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
what was life like when you first got to battalion? Did you have to wait long to do your jumps? Do you get weekends of?
When I joined we actually had a little in house cadre which acted like another refresher for all new arrivals. Just went over final ex type stuff to make sure our skills where all were they needed to be and it also gave the NCOs to see us before blending us into our platoons. Life is obvs a lot more chilled in Bn and you just slot into whatever your company is up to. After us the next wave of new Toms was only a few months later. I was lucky and got my wings about three months later. Yeah weekends are your own unless away on ex somewhere or on a detail

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
hey mate what was your preperation like preparing for prac and training . congrats btw !!!

Thanks!

Lots of running. I varied the sessions but focused on endurance and being able to comfortably run at least 6 miles. Also lots of sprint and fartlek training. I played football for a sunday league team too which also doubled up as free phys so really applied myself on the training sessions and match days. Ultimately I ran alot but I still found that 4 miler hard during my PRAC. But I think thats the point as its more to see if you have the bollocks to keep running when your lungs and legs are burning. I thought I knew hill running but PRAC was a bitch. So if I could go back and do anything differently I would of worked more on hill sprints.

Dil

Reaction score
Thanks!

Lots of running. I varied the sessions but focused on endurance and being able to comfortably run at least 6 miles. Also lots of sprint and fartlek training. I played football for a sunday league team too which also doubled up as free phys so really applied myself on the training sessions and match days. Ultimately I ran alot but I still found that 4 miler hard during my PRAC. But I think thats the point as its more to see if you have the bollocks to keep running when your lungs and legs are burning. I thought I knew hill running but PRAC was a bitch. So if I could go back and do anything differently I would of worked more on hill sprints.
Thanks ! Did you do bodyweight circuits and gym workouts ?

Reactions: HP

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
I did mostly body weight stuff. So as part of my circuits I did a lot of press ups and pull ups.

Reactions: Dil

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
hey mate what was your preperation like preparing for prac and training . congrats btw !!!
I suggest highlighting your weaknesses and working on them too. Some lads are naturally very good runners but can’t manage any strength tasks. Today it’s all different but don’t neglect things like the mid thigh pull for example. Don’t just train on what you find easy and most comfortable. Work out what you are most weak at and aim to change that

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
I suggest highlighting your weaknesses and working on them too. Some lads are naturally very good runners but can’t manage any strength tasks. Today it’s all different but don’t neglect things like the mid thigh pull for example. Don’t just train on what you find easy and most comfortable. Work out what you are most weak at and aim to change that
Once I passed PRAC I really made more of an effort to make more variety in my training. I didn’t just slog out run after run. I didn’t fix myself a strict plan as such which might be controversial but it worked for me. What I did was I worked out how many sessions I needed that week and then I mixed it up. I started aiming to be fully fit and not just one type of fit if that makes sense. So after PRAC but before basic I was going to the gym more, started doing weighted pull ups, using free weights to build my lats and shoulders, as well as running but I generally just made the training more enjoyable for me. I also looked for any opportunity to have some free phys. So instead of driving to the shops I ran. Instead of standing waiting for a meal to cook in the oven I banged out press ups. I also got a pull up bar for my bedroom. So everytime I wanted to enter my room I forced myself to do a set number of chin ups. Instead of getting the train to my then work I cycled. So basically I found all these moments in my day to work on my fitness. I just made myself more active.