New tom

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Ok thanks, its just i was wondering if there was any specific training/exercises i could do to lift my peformance on pcoy (if i get in)
definitely don’t worry about being p coy fit yet as you’ll only end up breaking yourself. The training is designed to build you up. What you need to be doing now is to prep yourself to be physically and mentally robustness. Start getting the miles in with running. Mix of steady state runs out to 6-8 miles and lots of interval and sprints. Also look to build strength via body weight exercises as this is what early depot is all about.

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
Deffo argee with danny on this one. P Coy is way down the line dude so don't be a muppet and start lugging tons of weight around and damaging yourself. Especially with you being quite young and with your body still growing. It is much better to train smart like Dan says, so lots of CV phys, build up that endurance and stamina and also build up your overall strength. You don't need beach muscles and to be fair a lot of the lads can be pretty wiry. But look to build your strength as the stronger your body is the better. As a young lad not carrying much weight you are probably a whippet so don't just train on what you find easy. For example before depo I struggled with press ups and pull ups. Hated them and really sucked at it. But you've got to get used to doing the stuff you hate and eradicating that weakness. With press ups I aimed to increase my volume every week. So if in week one of my training I could only manage 15, week two I pushed to 20 then 25 and so on. By week one day one of training I could comfortably smash 50 in two mins and a decent number of pull ups too.
Same with your running, aim to increase your volume gradually would be my advice and make sure you test yourself against the entry standards every week to track progress. So make sure you have a morning where you smash a best effort 2km and also a 11.6 bleep test. Also make sure you get into the habit of doing proper warm ups and cool downs with stretching too. Injury prevention is key.
Phys in Depo is progressive mate and they expect high standards from PARA Coy. You'll start with mostly running out around the training area and they have some nasty hills. Google "land of nod catterick" to get an idea. You'll also have some meaty bodyweight circuit training in the gym. You are introduced to tabbing gradually and the weight ramps up as the weeks go on but it is all managed by the PTIs. In the run up to P Coy we were doing things like 4 km with 35kg then dropping down to 25kg for a 2km best effort run. You will tab a lot in the build up and your body will adjust. Even going to the ranges can be a grizzly tab prior to the actual range day. The training is really well structured so it doesn't make any sense for you just insert your training at say a week 10 level. Just hammer the basics so you arrive fit, fast and strong and let the PTIs work their magic.

Azbo

Reaction score
Deffo argee with danny on this one. P Coy is way down the line dude so don't be a muppet and start lugging tons of weight around and damaging yourself. Especially with you being quite young and with your body still growing. It is much better to train smart like Dan says, so lots of CV phys, build up that endurance and stamina and also build up your overall strength. You don't need beach muscles and to be fair a lot of the lads can be pretty wiry. But look to build your strength as the stronger your body is the better. As a young lad not carrying much weight you are probably a whippet so don't just train on what you find easy. For example before depo I struggled with press ups and pull ups. Hated them and really sucked at it. But you've got to get used to doing the stuff you hate and eradicating that weakness. With press ups I aimed to increase my volume every week. So if in week one of my training I could only manage 15, week two I pushed to 20 then 25 and so on. By week one day one of training I could comfortably smash 50 in two mins and a decent number of pull ups too.
Same with your running, aim to increase your volume gradually would be my advice and make sure you test yourself against the entry standards every week to track progress. So make sure you have a morning where you smash a best effort 2km and also a 11.6 bleep test. Also make sure you get into the habit of doing proper warm ups and cool downs with stretching too. Injury prevention is key.
Phys in Depo is progressive mate and they expect high standards from PARA Coy. You'll start with mostly running out around the training area and they have some nasty hills. Google "land of nod catterick" to get an idea. You'll also have some meaty bodyweight circuit training in the gym. You are introduced to tabbing gradually and the weight ramps up as the weeks go on but it is all managed by the PTIs. In the run up to P Coy we were doing things like 4 km with 35kg then dropping down to 25kg for a 2km best effort run. You will tab a lot in the build up and your body will adjust. Even going to the ranges can be a grizzly tab prior to the actual range day. The training is really well structured so it doesn't make any sense for you just insert your training at say a week 10 level. Just hammer the basics so you arrive fit, fast and strong and let the PTIs work their magic.
Right now im on a programme training 6 days a week. Mon wed fri im skipping for 20 mins at lunch then an upper body session in the evening. On tues thurs and sat im doing a morning 5km run, skipping at lunch then a leg/core focuses session in the evening. Right now im 5,5 59kg but im built well, do you suggest any changes to this programme?. Also last summer i started running 6 times a week from nothing and ended up with a hip flexor injury, so i've reduced the number of times running per week now and feel good. mY 1.5 Mile time is 8:50 in shitty conditions, but havent tried on a good day yet.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
Don’t just train to pass the entry tests but also don’t train as if you are going to do your 20miler tomorrow. Your mission is to get yourself fit and able so you can cope with Para training. It won’t be easy but the instructors are experts. Aim to arrive as fit as you can but don’t worry about P coy yet.

Reactions: G87

Azbo

Reaction score
Don’t just train to pass the entry tests but also don’t train as if you are going to do your 20miler tomorrow. Your mission is to get yourself fit and able so you can cope with Para training. It won’t be easy but the instructors are experts. Aim to arrive as fit as you can but don’t worry about P coy yet.
Thanks, do you think there is any changes i can do to this programme? To elaborate, during my upper sessions i do 5x5 pullups and dips, 10x5 pushups, bench press using bodyweight straps, 20x5 variation curls and for my lower i do calf raises, weighted sqauts, air squats and knee raises but i also do push ups and pull ups during this sessio

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
I’m no phys monster so you might be better looking at the training plan section here and asking there as a lot of decent phys knowledge is kicking about.
Personally I found better gains when I train 4-5 times a week as it allows for better recovery. So 6 days a week might be too much. Your strength work looks ok but you could definitely push it. Especially the press ups. Aim for sets consisting of 20 at least instead of 10. You’ll do a lot of press ups at Catterick.
Running wise, to me it seems a bit basic if I’m honest. 5km works out at what, 3ish miles? That’s not long enough and you definitely want to be punching out towards 6 -8 mile mark for your steady state runs. That’s 9.5- 12kms.
Have a look at this plan as it looks good and was quite similar to mine to be fair. Good effort by the way for taking this so seriously. Cracking attitude.

https://www.paras.uk/threads/general-military-fitness-plan.72/

Reactions: G87

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
I joined a boxing gym for the circuits and a also joined a running club. Did me the world of good

Azbo

Reaction score
I’m no phys monster so you might be better looking at the training plan section here and asking there as a lot of decent phys knowledge is kicking about.
Personally I found better gains when I train 4-5 times a week as it allows for better recovery. So 6 days a week might be too much. Your strength work looks ok but you could definitely push it. Especially the press ups. Aim for sets consisting of 20 at least instead of 10. You’ll do a lot of press ups at Catterick.
Running wise, to me it seems a bit basic if I’m honest. 5km works out at what, 3ish miles? That’s not long enough and you definitely want to be punching out towards 6 -8 mile mark for your steady state runs. That’s 9.5- 12kms.
Have a look at this plan as it looks good and was quite similar to mine to be fair. Good effort by the way for taking this so seriously. Cracking attitude.

Thanks alot, ill have a look and take your advice into my programme. Appreciated.

Azbo

Reaction score
I joined a boxing gym for the circuits and a also joined a running club. Did me the world of good
Yeah im into boxing was hoping of joining a club, but they are all closed because of covid

Azbo

Reaction score

quick question, for the longer runs e.g. 12km do you carry a camelback for hydration or take any breaks?

Parkhead

Reaction score
94DBE5B8-9B0C-4B26-B0B8-BC534890E558.jpegMight be useful for some reading. Note the PARA standard below compared to the rest

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
quick question, for the longer runs e.g. 12km do you carry a camelback for hydration or take any breaks?
I tend to hydrate well before and after as I don’t like too much water sloshing about in my gut as I run. But a camel back is fine. In training early on they tend to make Joe carry a water bottle on runs via a webbing belt. So no dramas with taking on water and is prob sensible

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Is your old man still serving? He may be able to get a PTI to brief you up if not look up Mike Chadwick on here.

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Yeah hes a lt col right now but we are not really on good terms hence why im using this website instead of him
Roger. Get eyes on Mike Chadwicks posts on here as it will definitely help