New

Jonesy02

Reaction score
Hi everyone im 18 from the north west, was originally planning on joining the royal marines but changed my mind im now looking to join paras as soon as im in good enough shape, hoping for a bit of advice for creating a training plan later on, cheers.

Bird18

Reaction score
Hi everyone im 18 from the north west, was originally planning on joining the royal marines but changed my mind im now looking to join paras as soon as im in good enough shape, hoping for a bit of advice for creating a training plan later on, cheers.

May i ask why you changed your mind?

Admin

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, plenty of information here. Have a good browse of the forum and don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Parkhead

Reaction score
Hi mate if it helps I’ve also switched my focus from RM to Para

Jonesy02

Reaction score
May i ask why you changed your mind?
Of course, at first i wasnt sure whether to join the royal marines or paras but when i turned my focus to royal marines it was mainly because of a youtube video i watched from some guy just basically saying how paras are loud dickheads and theyre all super aggressive, whereas im a bit introverted but thinking back now i wanna experience it for myself rather than taking their words, other than that im not sure i just really want to join, not a huge fan of water either so that helps aha.

Bird18

Reaction score
Of course, at first i wasnt sure whether to join the royal marines or paras but when i turned my focus to royal marines it was mainly because of a youtube video i watched from some guy just basically saying how paras are loud dickheads and theyre all super aggressive, whereas im a bit introverted but thinking back now i wanna experience it for myself rather than taking their words, other than that im not sure i just really want to join, not a huge fan of water either so that helps aha.
That's fair enough mate, good luck!

Jonesy02

Reaction score
Hi mate if it helps I’ve also switched my focus from RM to Para
Yeah it does mate, wasnt sure whether it was common or not for people to make the switch but i think a reason some people wanna join royal marines at first is because theres so many royal marines on youtube and ive not seen one para, so theyre alot more out there but i just found this so its sweet.

Parkhead

Reaction score
Yeah it does mate, wasnt sure whether it was common or not for people to make the switch but i think a reason some people wanna join royal marines at first is because theres so many royal marines on youtube and ive not seen one para, so theyre alot more out there but i just found this so its sweet.

Sounds total nonsense to me and you shouldn’t take the word of one YouTuber. I’ve been to CTC and am now in the PARA recruitment pipeline. At the end of the day both attract a wide cross section of society. They aren’t two rival football teams and both do different jobs. For me I’m no longer interested in joining the Navy and want to be guaranteed an infantry role. The marines cannot offer that despite their ad campaign whereas the Parachute Regiment can. Once you pass out of ITC Catterick you are going to a rifle company whereas a marine can be sent off to be a driver for instance. Also pretty much everything you can do with the Royal Marines you can do as a Para. @Snows wrote a great post about this but I can’t find it.
It’s nothing against the RM and those who want to join but for me the Parachute Regiment just appeals more. I also don’t like the idea of being posted to a ship. There is a reason why they have more successful UKSF applicants than any other unit.

Zozo

Reaction score
It’s down to you mate and I agree that you shouldn’t pre judge based off someone else’s opinion. Both Para Reg and RM are widely respected but ultimately they have different roles. Keep researching and make your own mind up

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
You’ll find the ones who gob off the most about this shit are the those who haven’t served with either. Most gen don’t care.

PS join the reg

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
The Paras remain the best recruited infantry regiment in the Army. Recruit intakes are always full and form up month after month with no dramas. Some line inf units struggle to fill their intakes and you need only look at the battalion sizes of various other inf units compared to us. My point being regardless of YouTube influencers the Reg does well at recruiting. So clearly they are doing something right. I think the key here is to actually research what you want out of a career. Those who are serious about joining an outstanding, aggressive airborne fighting force will naturally find The Reg.
I am still uber crow, meaning I am fresh out the box and still finding my arse from my elbow. I know my place but I certainly wouldn’t trash the bootnecks. Yes there is banter but as bongs says those who get really amped up about it are those outside of either who don’t really understand. Outside of SFSG there are actually very few exercises and very few shared training between us and them. So take any negative opinions with a pinch of salt as the vast majority won’t have actually worked with each-other.
From the very little I do know from others in my pl who have been in 1 PARA is that they gel really well. SFSG operates at a really high tempo and the lads care more about who can do the job than anything else. End of the day my perspective is nothing but respect. Like us it takes a certain someone to be able to crack that training and serve at that level. I wouldn’t have any issues or bad blood if I had to work with a Royal. None at all. If you are really shy and meek then infantry service let alone PARA or bootneck might not be for you. Understand the job role and it’ll help you decide. We had lads in training who just couldn’t cut in with PARA Coy who transferred into other regiments and done really well. I know one lad who left us at like week 19 who then rejoined recently and went to pribright to join the REME and aced it. The more you understand the role the better choice you’ll make.
As for Paras all being loud mouth dickheads, again make your own mind up. It’s not what I’ve experienced and my intake had a real mix of backgrounds. Quite a few had been to university and despite being qual’d for Officer joined the ranks. We also had a former ambulance technician, a choir singer from Ghana and a lad who sold insurance. We aren’t all council estate working class tear aways. Today’s Joe is probably different than the old sweat days but the output is the same. Remember we are all Joe in training and no one really cares about your background. In battalion you’ll have guys who are the life and soul, you’ll also have quiet blokes, you’ll have guys who like football and guys who hate it. Some spend every sports afternoon in the boxing hanger and some head off for a run. Don’t think about stereotypes and just be a good loyal bloke.

Jonesy02

Reaction score
Yeah i get what you mean and i am trying to figure out if its for me but no matter what im going to give it the best shot, because i do feel like it will change me for the better, yeah opening up will probably be tough but thats partly why i want to join i dont want to be that shy, awkward guy and i think that mainly comes from my "mates" at school i think they only time they wasnt dickheads was when i was making them laugh and getting in trouble i probably have like one or two real mates, which is another reason to join i suppose and the sense of belonging the military has is something i want aswell.

Last edited: