Non running activities

JosephA

Reaction score
On days when I don't go on a run, I tend to do push ups, pull ups and sit ups but I know that isn't enough if I want to get to peak form. While the gyms aren't open to do low impact activities like swimming, what activities or exercises can I do and that you lot recommend to help get to optimal fitness? Thanks

Dan

Reaction score
Mountain Biking is a decent bit of cardio and fun if you like that sort of stuff too. Apart from that, circuits and resistance training are the other options too.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
Keep your training specific, mountain biking isn’t really relevant to the role. Stick with upper body strength work when not running

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
On days when I don't go on a run, I tend to do push ups, pull ups and sit ups but I know that isn't enough if I want to get to peak form. While the gyms aren't open to do low impact activities like swimming, what activities or exercises can I do and that you lot recommend to help get to optimal fitness? Thanks
Dynamic stretching / yoga - great for enhancing mobility & injury prevention, heavy bag (if space to buy/hang one) shadow-boxing (with purpose), push-up variants, sit-up variants, weighted squats / burpees / lunges / stair climbs (plate carrier or weight vest) med ball slams, sledgehammer workouts, (can get pretty heavyish ones from wickes for like £26), deadhangs, kettlebells (I like to hold them out in front for as long as possible - good mental game, like ‘anti-give-up’ training) resistance bands, ‘dynamic running’ (jumping walls / fences, climbing trees, under benches (inov8/be creative) just be an Active-Andy!

Snows

Reaction score
On days when I don't go on a run, I tend to do push ups, pull ups and sit ups but I know that isn't enough if I want to get to peak form. While the gyms aren't open to do low impact activities like swimming, what activities or exercises can I do and that you lot recommend to help get to optimal fitness?
Yoga for flexibility and pilates for core strength. There are lots of free sessions of both on YouTube to get you started.

Don't be fooled by the yummy mummy reputation and vibe of some classes, done properly both disciplines can be tough. Pilates in particular is great for building the core strength which is crucial to a lot of military phys.

JosephA

Reaction score
Yoga for flexibility and pilates for core strength. There are lots of free sessions of both on YouTube to get you started.

Don't be fooled by the yummy mummy reputation and vibe of some classes, done properly both disciplines can be tough. Pilates in particular is great for building the core strength which is crucial to a lot of military phys.
Cheers I hadn't thought of that

Chelonian

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the yummy mummy reputation and vibe of some classes, done properly both disciplines can be tough.
Agreed. But when lockdown eases those with Para wit, charm and good looks will be welcomed back into yummy mummy classes. :)

On a serious note, yoga and pilates are useful components of a diverse training regime. The main benefit of doing either in a group environment is that errors in form can easily be corrected by the instructor.

Mackers

Para Reg
Reaction score
A mate of mine is a massive fan of Yoga and he is a gen phys monster. I’d rather be fisted by wolverine than attend an actual yoga class led by a bare foot vegan but having done a bit in my own time I’ve legit changed my tune. It helps with recovery, flexibility, balance and core strength.

JosephA

Reaction score
Do you play any sports?
I played a decent standard of tennis once a week when there was no lockdown and while it was exercise there was more of a focus on the social aspect as opposed to the physical aspect

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
I played a decent standard of tennis once a week when there was no lockdown and while it was exercise there was more of a focus on the social aspect as opposed to the physical aspect
Football was the common language where I grew up. My advice is like bongs said, try and keep your training specific

Snows

Reaction score
A mate of mine is a massive fan of Yoga and he is a gen phys monster. I’d rather be fisted by wolverine than attend an actual yoga class led by a bare foot vegan but having done a bit in my own time I’ve legit changed my tune. It helps with recovery, flexibility, balance and core strength.
Barefoot vegans are at their best when wearing yoga pants, too.

On a serious note, yoga and pilates are useful components of a diverse training regime. The main benefit of doing either in a group environment is that errors in form can easily be corrected by the instructor.

That's a good point, you'll find particularly with yoga, you end up unconsciously doing it the wrong way without someone to correct you. Not really much choice at the moment, but be rigorous about copying exactly what you see, since many exercises are about getting the exact position correct to activate muscles etc.