OTC

LLB

Reaction score
What are people’s opinions on University OTC? What sort of reputation do they have and are they recommended for potential Officer cadets?
Unsure if I can apply whilst studying via OU

Last edited:

Snows

Reaction score
What are people’s opinions on University OTC? What sort of reputation do they have and are they recommended for potential Officer cadets?
Unsure if I can apply whilst studying via OU
They have a reputation for drinking and shagging. Whether that is good or bad depends on your intent. The experience you can get in an OTC is useful if you want to join the regulars, but not in any way required. Consider it a head start to a marathon rather than a sprint. Bear in mind that OTCs are now all super-OTCs - one named OTC (Oxford, Edinburgh) will actually include a large catchment area of universities in the region. I'd imagine that means, from the OU, you can find a way in based on your location rather than your specific university. OTC exist to include students, in the hope they subsequently join up or have a positive view of the Army, not to exclude them.

From experience of those who did OTC (never did it myself), it can be as much a disadvantage (arrogance) as an advantage (experience), but that largely depends on the individuals rather than anything about the experience itself. Some OTC during some periods produce better OCdts than others - a lot of mates were from Edinburgh at a particular time, and were all solid, because they had good DS during that period who took it seriously. On the other side, I knew some Oxford OTC from a different period who were substandard, whose DS were clearly phoning it in. But a couple from the same group were great. So if you're likely to be a good officer, I'd suggest you will be so regardless if, when or where you go to OTC. Which is probably a recommendation not to bother.

In all cases I'd suggest joining the Reserves as a tom is better experience, so you know how the other side live. Serve to Lead and all that.