Para BMI

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
May be an odd question but -

Is there a preferred or ideal BMI for Para recruits?

It’s quite confusing, during my first AC I was around 73-78kg, nowadays faster and fitter than I was back then at 81-84kg with a BMI of 25 so technically ‘overweight’? (I know it doesn’t account for muscle mass)

Are there pros and cons to being slightly heavier? I’m not a blob right but if the ‘extra energy reserve’s going to benefit then il look at refining and maintaining, if it’s going to be a hindrance il look to strip it and go back down to fighting weight.

(definitely sounds like a bone question to me but couldn’t find any info online and was just generally curious)

Dil

Reaction score
saw something online about this . ( dont take my word for this though ) bmi needs to be between 18 and 28 . but their are exceptions for some one with a bmi of over 32 . if their bmi is over 32 their waist needs to be under 36 inches . dont take my word for i though

maybe @csm can help

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
saw something online about this . ( dont take my word for this though ) bmi needs to be between 18 and 28 . but their are exceptions for some one with a bmi of over 32 . if their bmi is over 32 their waist needs to be under 36 inches . dont take my word for i though

maybe @csm can help
Cheers @Dil

Dickie

Reaction score
I would not say there is a perfect BMI but if you are faster/fitter/stronger now than before then it is a good thing!

Being on the heavier side could possibly result in a increased chance of a lower limb injury but nothing I would worry about at 25 BMI. As you said you are in a much better position now at a heavier weight, Could be possible to increase press up/pull up/sit up numbers at a lower weight along with faster run times but depend on height and age as hard to go just on BMI. Do you know your body fat %?

You could drop 10kg to be back at your old weight but could lose muscle mass which could have a negative effect on your performance.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
I would not say there is a perfect BMI but if you are faster/fitter/stronger now than before then it is a good thing!

Being on the heavier side could possibly result in a increased chance of a lower limb injury but nothing I would worry about at 25 BMI. As you said you are in a much better position now at a heavier weight, Could be possible to increase press up/pull up/sit up numbers at a lower weight along with faster run times but depend on height and age as hard to go just on BMI. Do you know your body fat %?

You could drop 10kg to be back at your old weight but could lose muscle mass which could have a negative effect on your performance.
Cheers @Dickie , I’m early 30s at 6ft, hovering around 20% bf. Higher number of press-ups are ideal but I’ve lost strength and power due to weight loss before so somewhere in the middle looks to be best, if I up the input in certain areas, pressing and pulling, whilst looking to lose a few kg could be a win win? Cheers again lads

The CSM

Reaction score
Adult entry (male): Body Mass Index (BMI) normally must be between 18 and 28, but with further assessment by the doctor conducting your medical can be extended up to 32. (Male applicants with a BMI of between 28 to 32 must have a waistline measurement of below 94cm).

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Adult entry (male): Body Mass Index (BMI) normally must be between 18 and 28, but with further assessment by the doctor conducting your medical can be extended up to 32. (Male applicants with a BMI of between 28 to 32 must have a waistline measurement of below 94cm).
Thank you @The CSM

Dickie

Reaction score
Cheers @Dickie , I’m early 30s at 6ft, hovering around 20% bf. Higher number of press-ups are ideal but I’ve lost strength and power due to weight loss before so somewhere in the middle looks to be best, if I up the input in certain areas, pressing and pulling, whilst looking to lose a few kg could be a win win? Cheers again lads

This would be entirely on the person but IMO 12-15% BF would be better. At 20% I would say you are carrying a bit extra that you could afford to lose.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
This would be entirely on the person but IMO 12-15% BF would be better. At 20% I would say you are carrying a bit extra that you could afford to lose.
Agreed, Nice one 👌 it’s not going to pose much of an issue getting rid, still pretty solid with a cm or 2 of ‘lockdown’ all over which the mrs seems to love but if it’s going to be too extra during training it can definitely do with going

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
Very thin and light lads may be whippets but they tend to struggle on tabs. Too heavy and your running ability may be compromised. Aim to get in that normal range I say

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Very thin and light lads may be whippets but they tend to struggle on tabs. Too heavy and your running ability may be compromised. Aim to get in that normal range I say
75KG before June’s the goal

Last edited:

Paratrooper1

Para Reg
Reaction score
When you first arrive at ITC you will undergo another basic medical and this will include another measure of your height and weight. So as long as you’ve been passed fit you are good to go.
Get in that green zone on BMI and physically prepare yourself to meet the standards. Be aware that the majority of the PT will focus on CV fitness and body strength. You will be smashing a lot of runs and this will put pressure on your joints. You won’t want to be carrying excess weight but equally you don’t want to be too flimsy. Find the healthy weight that allows you to reach the standards without being too feeble.
Your intro to tabbing begins in week 3 and is progressively ramped up under the supervision of the PTI staff. It is important you have ample core strength and power but also endurance. Being able to run is key to surviving depot as we will be putting a lot of miles through you. Some of the young lighter Joe can run at the speed of a thousand gazelles but crumble when load carrying. Whereas some of the big units struggle to run without plodding along at a snails pace. Just get healthy, focus on CV/run endurance and be able to surpass all the min requirements and everything else is progressive.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
When you first arrive at ITC you will undergo another basic medical and this will include another measure of your height and weight. So as long as you’ve been passed fit you are good to go.
Get in that green zone on BMI and physically prepare yourself to meet the standards. Be aware that the majority of the PT will focus on CV fitness and body strength. You will be smashing a lot of runs and this will put pressure on your joints. You won’t want to be carrying excess weight but equally you don’t want to be too flimsy. Find the healthy weight that allows you to reach the standards without being too feeble.
Your intro to tabbing begins in week 3 and is progressively ramped up under the supervision of the PTI staff. It is important you have ample core strength and power but also endurance. Being able to run is key to surviving depot as we will be putting a lot of miles through you. Some of the young lighter Joe can run at the speed of a thousand gazelles but crumble when load carrying. Whereas some of the big units struggle to run without plodding along at a snails pace. Just get healthy, focus on CV/run endurance and be able to surpass all the min requirements and everything else is progressive.
Balance/get in the green, got it! Thank you 👍

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s the spirit and put down the pies. Just think, some poor sod will undoubtedly have to fireman’s carry you at some stage.

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
That’s the spirit and put down the pies. Just think, some poor sod will undoubtedly have to fireman’s carry you at some stage.
I’m a great motivator! “You can do it come on mate I’m in the green!!!” 🏆