Parachute Regiment Assessment Course

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
The Parachute Regiment Assessment Course - PRAC sits between the Army Assessment Centre and PARA recruit training. ⁣It must be passed before you can commence recruit training.
⁣It allows PARA instructors to assess potential recruits and ensure they are capable of passing the Combat Infantry Course ⁣(PARA).⁣
PRAC is your initial look at what life in a training environment consists of and may be your first step on the ladder to an exciting and varied career in the Paras. The whole of the course will be run in Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire which is the same location that you would return to when attending the Combat Infantryman’s Course.

Following assessment on the course you will either be given a recommendation to be loaded onto the Parachute Regiment Combat Infantryman Course or, after consultation with Infantry representatives, return to your ACIO and discuss other Infantry Regiment options and be loaded onto another Combat Infantryman Course. You can return to try the assessment course again but you will need to return to your ACIO and discuss your options before you are loaded onto another PRAC.

Use this thread to discuss Parachute Regiment Assessment Course (PRAC) in order to help you to plan and prepare for your time on the course.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully on of our career advisor members will be able to confirm but as I understand it the main events of the PRAC consists of ;

The new style Role fitness test which is :
2 km run - 8 minutes 15 seconds
76kg mid thigh pull - Standing in front of a bar set to mid-thigh height, you'll be asked to pull the bar upwards for 5 seconds, then rest and repeat. Your best score of the two attempts will count.
Medicine ball throw - Sitting with your back against a wall, you'll throw a 4kg medicine ball as far as you can. Your best throw of three will count. You must throw the ball at least 3.1m

You will also complete -

The Steeplechase - 18 minutes.

4 mile familiarisation run with PARA training coy instructors. - Rolling country back area of ITC Catterick.

In addition to the physical assessments you will also learn about the CIC (PARA), learn about the Parachute Regimental history, learn about personal admin, have an intro to an inspection standards/block jobs. It would be very beneficial to members if someone could post/write a recent PRAC diary.

ChelseaBoy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on what the history test at prac is like? And if there’s anymore academic tasks there?

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on what the history test at prac is like? And if there’s anymore academic tasks there?

Learn key dates such as the formation date and revise battle honours and VC recipients. See below. Remember it’s to gauge motivation and not catch you out. Just try your best and show willing

1F7793A0-7AA1-4E1F-8CAE-754B3EF3743A.jpegAD5383DE-F1DD-4F94-BEEC-F82C2E232CC4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. P

Reaction score
The 2km in under 8.15, is that after a warm up run? If so, how long is the warm up run. I am currently struggling with reaching that best effort mark after doing a 2km warm up prior. Oddly enough I have absolutely zero issues with the rest of the requirements including the beep test.

ChelseaBoy

Reaction score
The 2km in under 8.15, is that after a warm up run? If so, how long is the warm up run. I am currently struggling with reaching that best effort mark after doing a 2km warm up prior. Oddly enough I have absolutely zero issues with the rest of the requirements including the beep test.
It is after 2km warm up but it’s at a really slow pace

San Carlos

Reaction score
Have you tried interval training and or hill sprints? These really helped me.

Try breaking a 2.4Km down into 400m intervals. 400m max effort 400m at a light pace/jog. Then repeat this over the full 2.4Km distance.

Mr. P

Reaction score
Thank you for replies, I've been doing a mixture of sprint/jog by lampposts and generally just around 10k runs aiming to not stop throughout and keep a decent pace. Doing 2k jog and 2k best effort twice a week at the moment.

San Carlos

Reaction score
Thank you for replies, I've been doing a mixture of sprint/jog by lampposts and generally just around 10k runs aiming to not stop throughout and keep a decent pace. Doing 2k jog and 2k best effort twice a week at the moment.
During PRAC you’ll be wrecked by hills. It’s important you get used to hill sprints

PhysMan

Reaction score
With reference to the Main Events for PRAC, am I right in thinking the steeplechase has been replaced with the MSFT (Bleep) for now?

I have received my PRAC date today for late February. Without a doubt I'll be keeping up the phys I already do and most likely stepping it up a notch so I can 'peak' for it but right now I'm a little in the dark about what exactly it entails currently.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
With reference to the Main Events for PRAC, am I right in thinking the steeplechase has been replaced with the MSFT (Bleep) for now?

I have received my PRAC date today for late February. Without a doubt I'll be keeping up the phys I already do and most likely stepping it up a notch so I can 'peak' for it but right now I'm a little in the dark about what exactly it entails currently.
Great news. Nice to see you are progressing down the recruitment pipeline fairly rapidly. Yes due to Covid restrictions steeplechase is not included. However do not underestimate the 4 mile back area run.

A user here passed PRAC last month. In order to protect his PERSEC it was decided his diary be sanitised and posted here

https://www.paras.uk/threads/prac-diary-2020.155/

PhysMan

Reaction score
Great news. Nice to see you are progressing down the recruitment pipeline fairly rapidly. Yes due to Covid restrictions steeplechase is not included. However do not underestimate the 4 mile back area run.

A user here passed PRAC last month. In order to protect his PERSEC it was decided his diary be sanitised and posted here

https://www.paras.uk/threads/prac-diary-2020.155/

Brilliant thank you, I'll absorb it now.

Aye, the turn-around is more rapid than it seems some CSMs are telling candidates (myself included, where I was advised against Para due to timescales). Possibly to manage expectations, possibly for more annoying reasons (read on ARRSE of a lad who was dissuaded and pushed into a Priority Role instead) so I suppose the key is to 'stick to your guns' on Para even if those with influence try to tell you otherwise.

HGH77

Reaction score
Brilliant thank you, I'll absorb it now.

Aye, the turn-around is more rapid than it seems some CSMs are telling candidates (myself included, where I was advised against Para due to timescales). Possibly to manage expectations, possibly for more annoying reasons (read on ARRSE of a lad who was dissuaded and pushed into a Priority Role instead) so I suppose the key is to 'stick to your guns' on Para even if those with influence try to tell you otherwise.
Glad to see you have got on a course so fast, both for yourself and for me haha. Nice to know that it’s not set in stone that there will be a wait of a few months between AC and PRAC. Good luck mate