PRAC Course Pass Criteria

HGH77

Reaction score
Hello all, as my PRAC is in the coming weeks I have been doing a lot of research and came across a video of a lad talking about his experiences on YouTube. In this talk he stated that he didn’t get the criteria times needed to pass two of the three events and still passed the course. He also stated that whilst passing everything is of course the ideal scenario, you can still pass if you slightly miss out on a time given that your attitude on the course is good. Now as this video is from last year and the lad took his PRAC in February of last year I wanted to ask is this still the case.

Now I want to stress I have been properly prepping for the course and do not intend on failing any of the tests and will give it 100%, this is simply coming from a place of wanting peace of mind that if for whatever reason my performance is slightly hindered, as long as I give it my all there is still a chance I could pass. Thanks!

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
Makes sense and it’s good you are smashing the phys. Always aim to exceed expectations and view any times as minimums. Cant comment on the times but view PRAC as one big hefty job interview that you’ll be assessed on from the get go. A lad who is digging out and just passing the run is more use than some whippet with a stinking attitude. The only time I think I know is the steeplechase is sub 18 mins but I don’t think they are doing that. Do you have a link to the vid

HGH77

Reaction score
Makes sense and it’s good you are smashing the phys. Always aim to exceed expectations and view any times as minimums. Cant comment on the times but view PRAC as one big hefty job interview that you’ll be assessed on from the get go. A lad who is digging out and just passing the run is more use than some whippet with a stinking attitude. The only time I think I know is the steeplechase is sub 18 mins but I don’t think they are doing that. Do you have a link to the vid
Yes mate.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hopefully lads like @Apex303 or @ChelseaBoy can chip in with recent experience but the key is to give it your all. We can suss out the times- The 2 click run is sub 8.15, the bleep is 11.6 the 4 miler isn’t timed as such but will be at 8.30-9min pace with some gentle by depot standards fragging up and down the land of nod. The other phys stuff like the med ball throw and mid thigh will be as per the standard. Everything else is down to you. Show up fit, eager, keen, looking smart, and give every thing 100% from getting up early and shaving to running or answering questions. They want to see if you have the potential to be a Joe. Big effort and you will be fine.

HGH77

Reaction score
Hopefully lads like @Apex303 or @ChelseaBoy can chip in with recent experience but the key is to give it your all. We can suss out the times- The 2 click run is sub 8.15, the bleep is 11.6 the 4 miler isn’t timed as such but will be at 8.30-9min pace with some gentle by depot standards fragging up and down the land of nod. The other phys stuff like the med ball throw and mid thigh will be as per the standard. Everything else is down to you. Show up fit, eager, keen, looking smart, and give every thing 100% from getting up early and shaving to running or answering questions. They want to see if you have the potential to be a Joe. Big effort and you will be fine.
Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. All advice has been noted and is much appreciated!

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
Good effort for the prep and keep it going they can tell very quickly who is genuine and who is a bloater! Screw the nut for the short time your there mate and don’t worry about other peoples 100% just worry about your own. Develop a run till you die attitude. Treat it like a big final it’s all or nothing as PRAC is your ticket to depot

Paratrooper1

Para Reg
Reaction score
PRAC can seem daunting and that is part intentional. It is a hard entry course but it most definitely isn’t impossible so remember that. The permanent staff want to look at each and every candidate and see if the person in front of them matches the person on paper. To that end they want to see candidates graft as hard as they physically can in all aspects of the course. Yes they have certain metrics they measure candidates against but the key message above is key - give it your all and prove to the staff why you deserve a shot at depot. Attitude forms a major part towards your overall grade.

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
The 4 mile fam run is marked as a familiarisation run over training area terrain. It’s more a test of detrimenation than a timed run. Doesn’t matter how fit you are you will be blowing out your arse on it. Weaker lads will drop off on it so don’t get psyched out. Just keep running no matter what. On day you’ll be on P COY and you’ll use that same grit but to a much much higher level. It’s the ability to keep moving forward through pain. The 4 miler is nothing compared to depot phys but remember you will be built up. For now you just have to hammer it. Prove to the PRAC team that you want the maroon machine more than anything and it’ll shine through.

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
At a stage they had you do the illusion jump on the trainasium. Steeplechase, press ups, sit ups, pull ups and dips so count yourself lucky! Look if you have the aptitude and the will to pass you can do it. Look at it as a gateway to pass that proves you are ready for arduous training

HP

Para Reg
Reaction score
It will give you a taste of what training is like, they can have a look at you at you can have a look at the reg. If you arent good enough you can say bye to the reg and join the line infantry somewhere basically. Just have confidence and give it stacks.

Apex303

Reaction score
I would always say never aim for the minimum standard and that should be a sufficient answer.

Failure to prepare is prepare to fail and all that good stuff.

You will find depot hard regardless but if you only scrapped a pass at PRAC you're in for a fun time at depot. But a pass is a pass. Phys wise most joes level out in training. You get more phys for finishing last etc... so the less fit guys do catch up you just need to work hard and trust the staff even when it feels like they fucking hate you.

Going against the grain a bit. I've never done and didn't do just Hills sprints. Get out on a 4-5 miler and aim to hit the hills in your local area. For every hill do 2 reps. Then keep running at a steady pace until the next hill. The back area of Catterick is full of hills you can't avoid it.

If you're running you will run them. Tabbing you will walk but its still hard with bergan and rifle. Personally I would rather run up nod than tab up it.

As for lads passing without hitting standards isnt for me to comment on nor would I pay attention to it. Get under 8.15 for your 2k. If not then graft until the end and see what happens. Same if you jack on the fam run and steeple or bleep test.

HGH77

Reaction score
Thanks for all the messages everyone, this level of replies, both in quantity and quality, is what makes this place invaluable to me and for other potential recruits. I have never wanted anything this badly so will keep smashing the phys on the run up to PRAC and then give 100% when I’m there, then whatever happens happens! Absolutely buzzing for it!!

Admin

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Be sure to keep us posted as your experience will help the next wave of potential recruits. Good luck