Pull ups

Aldo

Reaction score
I drastically need to improve pull ups and I read elsewhere that another user is also struggling? Any tips on how best to improve. Obviously more time on the bar but any phys that could compliment them?

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
I would do max effort on pull ups and then get the band out and do max effort with that and when I couldn't do anymore with the band from sheer lactic build up in my arms and back, I had a god pal smash his fist into my back and force me to up.

Nothing glamorous just hard work, consistency and incremental gains.

Can bang out 20+ sets. Still blows my mind when you see blokes like Goggins do a few thousand in 24 hours.

Scraps

Reaction score
Can bang out 20+ sets. Still blows my mind when you see blokes like Goggins do a few thousand in 24 hours.
Goggins is not human. I bet on his birth certificate it says he's a cyborg.

Another thing to bear in mind with pull ups lads is good technique and a proper pull up bar at the right diameter. The thickness of the bar will have an impact on your grip and therefore your ability to pull on it.

Scraps

Reaction score
IIRC, they'll make you do your individual pull ups from a dead hang anyway so get used to those

Aldo

Reaction score
IIRC, they'll make you do your individual pull ups from a dead hang anyway so get used to those
They aren’t part of the AC anymore! But still good to practice for your own strength and phys. Plus they might form part of a circuit or something in training

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Couldnt agree more @Aldo

Pull ups like push ups are a non-negotionable for me.

I can't imagine a career-feld where the requirement for everyone to be able to lift their own bodyweight in pull up form couldn't be more essential, and the idea that tested or not, there are dudes out there who are content with not being able to do them.

Life saving & ass kicking demands functional strength. *cool guy sunshade emoji* haha

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Also smash core work and maybe invest in a weighted vest
Definitely recommend a weight vest. I usually tapper my runs and add it to every other long run. it’s an absolute lick but once you’re knocking run times down with extra weight, running without it makes you feel 10kg lighter. 10/10 bit of kit 👌👌

Attachments

• 0F9C5222-2B38-4F9F-9092-93DE6C52DEA4.jpeg
    0F9C5222-2B38-4F9F-9092-93DE6C52DEA4.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 13

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Get down a local climbing centre and boulder on your rest days.

That WILL build a weird chimp like strength in your fingers, hands, wrists, arms and back.

High risk potentially...but its to fun for me to say no to.

Chelonian

Reaction score
As suggested above, find a climbing centre and marvel at how easily skinny children belt out pull-ups without breaking a sweat.

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Pull ups are fantastic for building functional strength. Absolutely incorporate them into your preparations. The great thing about effective pull ups is that they do the job of many exercises through one single movement.

Scraps

Reaction score
As suggested above, find a climbing centre and marvel at how easily skinny children belt out pull-ups without breaking a sweat.
Being a skinny runt myself I can attest to this fact. I've always found calisthenics based stuff to be well suited to my body type. Climbing, push ups, pull ups etc to be easier to train than bigger lads. In saying that, this is very much a "horses for courses" type deal! I might be able to smash out pull ups all day but fire a 60lb bergan on me with a load of link ammo and my frame will hold me back over a bigger fella. To an extent anyway. You can always train on a weakness, genes just result in traits that can be worked on.

But as a wider motivational point, if someone is better at something than you are, you can 100% guarantee there will be something that's true vice versa.

Last edited:

Nutter

Reaction score
Being a skinny runt myself I can attest to this fact. I've always found calisthenics based stuff to be well suited to my body type. Climbing, push ups, pull ups etc to be easier to train than bigger lads. In saying that, this is very much a "horses for courses" type deal! I might be able to smash out pull ups all day but fire a 60lb bergan on me with a load of link ammo and my frame will hold me back over a bigger fella. To an extent anyway. You can always train on a weakness, genes just result in traits that can be worked on.

But as a wider motivational point, if someone is better at something than you are, you can 100% guarantee there will be something that's true vice versa.
Seen! So what you mean is you are the jack C*nt who can’t carry the gimpy! ;)

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
Now now. I prefer the description "The smart one who's worked out how to avoid carrying the gimpy"

😘
That would still get your jaw broke in the Reg. Probably by someone who can do pull ups!

Scraps

Reaction score
I also like the description "The skinny bloke who runs really fast and has to be caught to be chinned."

As you well know Tony, I've also been "accused" of biting when cornered.....

Nutter

Reaction score
Definitely invest in a pull up bar that attaches to a door frame.

Fizz

Reaction score
Something I do and recommend when trying to achieve a new target with any exercise is a pyramid. The object is to slowly build up to a goal, then build back down to the beginning of the workout.

For instance with pull ups, if your goal is say 5 proper form pull ups the number of reps would look like this

Each number counts as a rep. Work your way up and down the pyramid. It’s really effective and a bit of fizz magic. Try it!