Q & A with former PARA instructor

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
All,

I invited @Gaz2552 to join us here on the forum. Gaz served for 15 years with 2 PARA. During the course of his career he also served within instructor postings at ITC Catterick. Having experience as both a section commander and platoon sergeant with PARA Training Company. Gaz has now left the military and is now a serving Fire fighter.

For ease please use this thread to ask @Gaz2552 any questions you may have regarding training.

Dot

Reaction score
Hi @Gaz2552 what would you say someone who is starting soon should focus the most on?

Admin

Site owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add before this thread kicks off.

Questions are best asked on this thread rather than via PM. So please do not PM Gaz as his inbox will soon become flooded with the same questions.
Asking here will not only benefit you but will help others who may have the same question.

HGH77

Reaction score
Hey welcome. Can I ask what you think is the most neglected element of phys by potential recruits that hinders them when they get to training. What should we be focusing on now that most overlook? Thanks!

San Carlos

Reaction score
Hi @Gaz2552 , can you confirm if outside of COVID restrictions do you get to go home at weekends in phase 2?

Gaz2552

Para Reg
Reaction score
Yes mate the majority of the time unless your on exercise. There are three tactical exercises during phase two and leading upto P COY. So your pretty busy but you also need time to recover and rest up for the following weeks lessons etc. Most lessons run mon-fri during depot.
Hope this helps

Gaz2552

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hey welcome. Can I ask what you think is the most neglected element of phys by potential recruits that hinders them when they get to training. What should we be focusing on now that most overlook? Thanks!
I’d just say concentrate on aerobic fitness. Keep your speed up but get miles in your legs. I wouldn’t consider running with weight or anything like that as you’ll get taught that from an early point point of depot.
crossfit circuits are a good all round fitness programme to mix it up a bit.
hope this helps

Collieryboy

Reaction score
A few months ago potential recruits had basically nowhere to go for help. Now there's a thriving community of experienced paras giving their time and knowledge up to help. It's amazing really. Welcome @Gaz2552 and thanks for giving your time and experience to help recruits.

HGH77

Reaction score
I’d just say concentrate on aerobic fitness. Keep your speed up but get miles in your legs. I wouldn’t consider running with weight or anything like that as you’ll get taught that from an early point point of depot.
crossfit circuits are a good all round fitness programme to mix it up a bit.
hope this helps
Thank you this helps a lot. Much appreciated!

Dot

Reaction score
How common was it that guys got back squaded back to day 1, week 1?

Gaz2552

Para Reg
Reaction score
Depot is sort of done in stages to be honest. If you are struggling in the first few weeks then yes you would probably end up starting over again with a new plt. In my experience people who wanted out after the first few weeks didn’t really want the PARAS anyway. The training during the first few weeks is progressive so there is not too much to worry about getting backsquadded. Focus on the next day ... the next timing and have a good attitude. Before you know it you’ll be passing off the square and making friendships and week 1 will be well in the past