Re joining at 32

Simo2020

Reaction score
Hi Guys after 10 years out I've decided to rejoin and have got PRAC very shortly.

I was former light infantry when I was in last time and have to go through depot again and to be honest the idea excites me and am really looking forward to it as the challenge. After 2 years of it playing on my mind I decided last year its finally time to 'itch the scratch' and apply!

Since leaving 10 years ago I never found anything that has replaced my time in the army, the comradeship, the banter, the feeling of purpose, and the sense of adventure! and thought it will be my last chance so might as well have a a crack at the Paras as they are the best.

My fitness is good as run regular marathons, triathlons ect, mental robustness is stronger than ever, just dont recover as quick as I did 15 years ago! But will adopt a mind of matter approach if needed!

Just wondering if anyone on here has joined later on in life and how did they find it? Did they manage to make a mainstream career out of it? Was depot more demanding? Thanks in advance for anyone who shares experiences or give pointers.

BT9

Reaction score
No experience with this but just wanted to wish you luck. Just think of the heads up and experience you can bring to the table in training. You know it’ll be tough but that fear of the unknown will be gone.

Good luck mate

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys after 10 years out I've decided to rejoin and have got PRAC very shortly.

I was former light infantry when I was in last time and have to go through depot again and to be honest the idea excites me and am really looking forward to it as the challenge. After 2 years of it playing on my mind I decided last year its finally time to 'itch the scratch' and apply!

Since leaving 10 years ago I never found anything that has replaced my time in the army, the comradeship, the banter, the feeling of purpose, and the sense of adventure! and thought it will be my last chance so might as well have a a crack at the Paras as they are the best.

My fitness is good as run regular marathons, triathlons ect, mental robustness is stronger than ever, just dont recover as quick as I did 15 years ago! But will adopt a mind of matter approach if needed!

Just wondering if anyone on here has joined later on in life and how did they find it? Did they manage to make a mainstream career out of it? Was depot more demanding? Thanks in advance for anyone who shares experiences or give pointers.

How long did you have in ?

Iron

Staff member
Reaction score
Ten years is long enough for rose tinted glasses to become fixed to your vision so don’t forget to look over them. But are you too old? NO. Every couple of intakes I had an older Joe . They say statistically that older recruits are more injury prone/ slower recovery time but that’s averages. It is entirely possible to pass when at the upper end of the age bracket. What I did find was older lads are more prone to getting amongst the lads and showing leadership qualities. This gets noticed so don’t shy away from using your experience to help others. But don’t see them off by trying to big time it. You will be no more superior than spotty 19 year old in the bed next to you so stay humble.
You know the game, you’ve been through ITC before and I suspect you may have a tour under your belt given your time in. Play the game and you might even enjoy it.
As a long distance endurance athlete I suspect you KNOW what your body is capable of. This time around you will have the beauty hindsight to a degree. As you’ve correctly identified though PARA NCO’s are a different animal so be prepared to work hard.

As for Bn, you’ll be aware promotion cadres are very robust. Are you definitely prepared to crack junior Brecon in approx four years for example. This is where age will start stacking the deck against you in my opinion. There is also the obvious that you need to be prepared to be supervised by those in their early twenties. Some blokes your age opt to join the reserves instead as it suits their life circumstances better but if you are happy this is for you then it can work. I’ll tag in @Gaz2552 as he may have further to add.

Newt

Reaction score
You’d be great to have in training lol. Not like you’ll be learning everything from scratch

Big_Shep

4 PARA
Reaction score
I passed P Coy at 33.

Beat up and P Coy is painful, no matter your age. It is very physical but ultimately a large proportion of it is a psychological test. Many of those who fail, do so because they convince themselves that a niggle is an excuse to stop. You have to have the mental resilience and strength to push on even when you are blowing out of your arse. As @Iron says it may take you longer to recover between the events than the 18 year old whippet but good admin and sensible routines can help with this.
Personally I struggled more with the faster events such as the log, stretcher and 2 miler. They hurt me a lot. The fast and furious pace didn’t mix well with an older body but I just had to grizz it out. It is achievable. Whereas I tended to fare better at the longer endurance based events, which is linked more to mental strength and stamina.

Pay attention to the impact it is having on your body and act accordingly. Any old injuries or training niggles can re appear. Hydrate well, stretch correctly and prime your mind for the next event properly. Accept the pain and attack.

As an older re joiner with Inf experience you are likely to be more mentally squared away and robust than a teenager or 20 year old recruit. You should have the sheer grit to see it through if you want it badly enough. Also brace yourself for the inevitable hat comments. All character building and good luck!

Tony_m

Para Reg
Reaction score
P Coy is definitely a course you only want to do once. Make it count.

The career prospects that’s down to you. You know the game from your last mob. Bare in mind the majority of those at the same level of progression will be a good 5-10 years younger than you. Also, you might want to think about where you want to be in life in the next 5 to 10 years. 5 years running around as a Tom and Lance jack and being fucked around is easily done in your early 20s! I bet it is less easy in your mid to late 30s. If you stay the course and smash 22 years could you face a starting a second career in 22 years time.