Regimental Headquarters

PRA HQ

Parachute Regiment Association
Reaction score
Hi All, thank you for the invitation to join Paras UK.

My name is Paul Raison, more commonly known as Ray. I joined The Parachute Regiment as a Private in June 1980 and served until July 2016, retiring as a Major. My job now is Veterans Officer for the Regiment and the main part of this role is The Parachute Regimental Association.

Formed at the end of WW2, the Parachute Regimental Association (PRA) aimed to allow those that had served on joint operations an opportunity to continue the close bond they had developed. The following years of conflict that encompassed Aden, the Falklands, NI, Iraq, Afghanistan have seen these links continue to this day. Membership of the Parachute Regimental Association is available to all those who have served with the Parachute Regiment or Airborne Forces, their wives and families.

For more details: www.theparachuteregimentalassociation.com

Working at Regimental Headquarters in Colchester, provides me with a valuable link to every aspect of the Regiment. This includes, Regular and Reserve Battalions, Recruiting, Regimental Charity (Support Our Paras) Events and Commemorations. I have a close link to the Regimental Lt Colonel and I am fortunate enough to have served with all the present COs and RSMs in post at the moment.

I hope that by joining this forum, I can assist anyone who is thinking of, or starting the process to join the best fighting unit in the British Army, either as an Officer or Soldier. It's not for everyone and many that have tried, have failed. If you get through you will make friends for life and join an exclusive club that others will envy. Good luck to you all - Airborne

Zozo

Reaction score
Private to Major is very impressive and worthy of pure respect. Your last paragraph is fantastic and sums up why I want to join!

Dot

Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for joining. Loads of questions but I’ll not pester!

BT9

Reaction score
This place keeps on getting better and better. A warm welcome. I’m hoping to join as an Officer and really looking forward to your contributions here @PRA HQ
Out of interest once you join the Parachute Regiment do you automatically gain PRA membership?

Aldo

Reaction score
Welcome. Hoping to join 4 PARA so it’s great to have someone with your vast experience here.

PRA HQ

Reaction score
This place keeps on getting better and better. A warm welcome. I’m hoping to join as an Officer and really looking forward to your contributions here @PRA HQ
Out of interest once you join the Parachute Regiment do you automatically gain PRA membership?
Once training is complete and recruits have passed P Company they can apply. This changed in 2017 as prior to that they would not let you join until you had completed your Basic Para Course (BPC). It’s a one off payment of £7.50 for life membership. As well as other benefits, mostly later in life. It offers an opportunity to keep in touch with the Regiment and events that are held across the UK and abroad.

Dot

Reaction score
Once training is complete and recruits have passed P Company they can apply. This changed in 2017 as prior to that they would not let you join until you had completed your Basic Para Course (BPC). It’s a one off payment of £7.50 for life membership. As well as other benefits, mostly later in life. It offers an opportunity to keep in touch with the Regiment and events that are held across the UK and abroad.

Sounds great. Is it true that there is a big wait between leaving training and getting on the basic para course?

PRA HQ

Reaction score
That has been the case in the past and it has even been known for some to deploy on operations before they get a chance to attend the course. It is an accepted part of training now and depends on the availability of Aircraft and the weather. It’s been a long time since Parachuting was conducted before going to Battalion, so the majority of people you meet when you get to Battalion will have done the same. After depot, jumping out of a plane is a walk in the park and a month at RAF Brize Norton is like a holiday.

Addy4143

Reaction score
Hi All, thank you for the invitation to join Paras UK.

My name is Paul Raison, more commonly known as Ray. I joined The Parachute Regiment as a Private in June 1980 and served until July 2016, retiring as a Major. My job now is Veterans Officer for the Regiment and the main part of this role is The Parachute Regimental Association.

Formed at the end of WW2, the Parachute Regimental Association (PRA) aimed to allow those that had served on joint operations an opportunity to continue the close bond they had developed. The following years of conflict that encompassed Aden, the Falklands, NI, Iraq, Afghanistan have seen these links continue to this day. Membership of the Parachute Regimental Association is available to all those who have served with the Parachute Regiment or Airborne Forces, their wives and families.

For more details: www.theparachuteregimentalassociation.com

Working at Regimental Headquarters in Colchester, provides me with a valuable link to every aspect of the Regiment. This includes, Regular and Reserve Battalions, Recruiting, Regimental Charity (Support Our Paras) Events and Commemorations. I have a close link to the Regimental Lt Colonel and I am fortunate enough to have served with all the present COs and RSMs in post at the moment.

I hope that by joining this forum, I can assist anyone who is thinking of, or starting the process to join the best fighting unit in the British Army, either as an Officer or Soldier. It's not for everyone and many that have tried, have failed. If you get through you will make friends for life and join an exclusive club that others will envy. Good luck to you all - Airborne
Welcome!