Sam

Sam W

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hi all,

Really flattered to be invited onto the forum and definitely happy to try and help out. I’ve been out of the mix since 2015 so don’t be expecting any finger on the pulse content.

The obligatory bio- I initially joined 4 PARA. I managed to drag myself through their recruit cadre and I spent a year as a Tom in B Coy. I almost felt like I’d aged three years in twelve months I was that busy. Really caught the bug and ended up going Regular Officer entry. I was a non grad OCdt and happy to answer any questions about this if it helps anyone? Just drop me a line.

I commissioned back into the Reg and landed into 2 PARA. Spent the next five and a half years in the battalion before moving on. If I can help anyone here please don’t hesitate to drop me a line or message me.

Cheers,

Sam

Zozo

Reaction score
Hi Sam, how did you find the transition from reserves to regulars? I don’t mean the recruiting process I mean the skill levels etc.

Dot

Reaction score
Hey @Sam W welcome and thanks for helping us out. When you say you moved on did you change regiments or something? Is this common?

Sam W

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hey @Sam W welcome and thanks for helping us out. When you say you moved on did you change regiments or something? Is this common?
Oh god no. Nothing exciting like that, I just left the Army. Domestic circumstances changed and it was the right time for me to move on.

Sam W

Para Reg
Reaction score
Hi Sam, how did you find the transition from reserves to regulars? I don’t mean the recruiting process I mean the skill levels etc.
Easy enough dude, the key is being humble and open to change. Regardless of experience when you tip up at Sandhurst you have to play the game. There is no escaping the syllabus and I just rolled with it. Don’t overthink it.

As a Reservist , I was pretty conscious of the training gap between us and our regular peers. This is normal so really don’t sweat it. My 4 PARA detachment was really effective at narrowing that divide. The breadth and depth of experience I was able to gather from our regular PSIs and ex regulars was fantastic. The annual training objectives ensure you get to the standard required. My AR experience definitely gave me a leg up but it definitely isn’t essential if you are wanting to join reg. Are you looking to join regulars or reserves?