Strength & Conditioning

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Could write a thesis on this... but to kick off...

Whilst I never neglect the basics, sprints, long runs, intervals, bodyweight, core etc. etc...

I am a huge propnant of sensible and specific strength and conditioning or unconventional training as a supplement to the basics and I think the photo attached highlights perfectly why.

More and more you see unit phys, indervidual phys and ex PTI's push specific strength and conditional as an absolute must to meet the rigorous demands of infantry life. Perfect example is coash Mike Chadwick an ex para PTI.

Life as a infantryman is unconventional and requires unconventional stregth and endurance and I belive being strong in those movements enhances performance and significantly mitigates injury whilst on the job.

Hopefully gone are the days of running for the sake of running along with back, bi's and tri's.
Infact, i remember listening to a US SF dude who now runs a conditioning gym say when he was climbing ladders and humping over walls to gain access into a compound during raids in Afghanistan he never thought to himself "all that time in the gym doing shoulder press has really paid off right now"....

Any thoughts for or against?

Attachments

• 20201128_140819.jpg
    20201128_140819.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 26

PhysMan

Reaction score
100% for it, for all the reasons you posted.

About all I can say right now, as you're bang on what I'd say too. Fitness goes up, injury probability goes down, why would anyone avoid it if they have access to it?

Nutter

Reaction score
Ditto. Train smart wins everytime but don’t get too comfy in a gym, nothing beats getting out in the rain and building robustness

D

Deletedmember

Could write a thesis on this... but to kick off...

Whilst I never neglect the basics, sprints, long runs, intervals, bodyweight, core etc. etc...

I am a huge propnant of sensible and specific strength and conditioning or unconventional training as a supplement to the basics and I think the photo attached highlights perfectly why.

More and more you see unit phys, indervidual phys and ex PTI's push specific strength and conditional as an absolute must to meet the rigorous demands of infantry life. Perfect example is coash Mike Chadwick an ex para PTI.

Life as a infantryman is unconventional and requires unconventional stregth and endurance and I belive being strong in those movements enhances performance and significantly mitigates injury whilst on the job.

Hopefully gone are the days of running for the sake of running along with back, bi's and tri's.
Infact, i remember listening to a US SF dude who now runs a conditioning gym say when he was climbing ladders and humping over walls to gain access into a compound during raids in Afghanistan he never thought to himself "all that time in the gym doing shoulder press has really paid off right now"....

Any thoughts for or against?
what exercises would you recommend?