Training for PRAC

Crispy

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how best to structure a training program in order to successfully pass PRAC?

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how best to structure a training program in order to successfully pass PRAC?
There’s a lot of mil-prep training plans online (along with nutritional plans) to assist you in your progress, which aren’t too expensive. (No expert) Physicality-wise try build yourself a good aerobic base, strength and conditioning in the legs, solid core and upper strength (including grip). Recommending a program depends on where you’re at currently fitness-wise. To give you in idea - (I’m not doing PRAC) but I’ve been told to look at reaching 6min/miles, 40-50 press-ups, 60+sit-ups and 5-10+ pull-ups as a ‘good start’. Look at some circuits as well. These are often several short exercises bunched together to signify ‘1 Round’ which is done for multiple rounds (depending on fitness levels), I.e

Buy In: 1k run + 350 jumping jacks

5 Rounds of:

20-30pushups,

30-50 squats

30-50 sit-ups

= 1 Round

You’ll need fitness to improve cardiovascular endurance, you’ll need both to condition your body and all three to condition your mind.

I’m sure some of the more experienced lads will chip in at some point 👍👍

Mac_t1lt

Reaction score
To add from earlier, someone suggested the ‘BE PARA FIT’ book by Maj. Sam McGrath, a very decent read and breaks down not just the physical aspect but also the mental attitude required to become a British Paratrooper. I’ve included some photos to illustrate its quality and to highlight the kind of information you should expect to find in it. 05A29048-428A-42B5-B004-71D82FF1E483.pngB1A4ED07-4897-4FE4-8A5A-AD9A630B2AAC.pngD942BD7C-F0F0-47A9-926A-F9FB31C4FEB8.png4153F3AD-D058-4125-95F7-B9C66B9F832A.png10193A81-9397-4199-9740-98B765E651FC.png5A335425-3B0E-4E88-9EF6-B629EEC0FCD4.pngI hope this helps. Grab it off Amazon it’s worth it’s weight in saffron spice 👍👍👍

LightBulb

Reaction score
Monday - 2 km run best effort and bleep test
. Gym

Tuesday-30 minute beach run with 5 sets of press ups max effort.
Circuit training

Wednesday- 6 miles best effort. Rugby training

Thursday- Rest & cycle

Friday- bleep test level 12
2 km run
. 5 sets of pull-ups
. 3200 meter row
. All in one session

Saturday- 4 mile cross country with sprints. Swimming. Then phys in the evening.

Sunday- 6 mile run and press up gainers

Aldo

Reaction score
I’ve seen massive gains in my press up ability by sheer repetition and increasing the number.

Redders

Para Reg
Reaction score
To pass PRAC the key element you need to focus on is running!. All the assessments involve running in some manner. you need to get out running 4/5 times a week, consistently running 8 min miles or less for anything around 5 /6 miles or more but obviously build up to this progressively!
you also MUST get out for some cross county running. Don’t injure yourself but don’t just run on nice tracks and tarmac, get on uneven ground. muddy paths. jumping logs. catapulting yourself over fences and walls. through and over streams and rivers. Get used to sprinting up Hills. Also get used to a tiring warm up of 1.5 to 3 miles. then trying to do your run best efforts. always put the most effort in the latter part of your routine - when your tired. Do not show up unless you know you can pass the 4 mile x country run

Mad Frank

Para Reg
Reaction score
Learn how to iron. PROPERLY

I remember having to “box” our bedding. Which was creating unruly bedclothes into an immaculate pack like a square biscuit, with every edge razor sharp and perfectly aligned. The order were first an itchy blanket, then a sheet, then another blanket and then another sheet. Then a final blanket went over everything to form an outer cover. All the edges had to be even, and you then laid this “biscuit” of wool and cotton at the proper point on top of the mattress every-single-morning. Without fail we had to strip our beds and put two pillows and two folded pillow cases next to our boxed bedding. This was on top of perfect uniform and bulled boots you could see your reflection in.

D

Deletedmember

To pass PRAC the key element you need to focus on is running!. All the assessments involve running in some manner. you need to get out running 4/5 times a week, consistently running 8 min miles or less for anything around 5 /6 miles or more but obviously build up to this progressively!
you also MUST get out for some cross county running. Don’t injure yourself but don’t just run on nice tracks and tarmac, get on uneven ground. muddy paths. jumping logs. catapulting yourself over fences and walls. through and over streams and rivers. Get used to sprinting up Hills. Also get used to a tiring warm up of 1.5 to 3 miles. then trying to do your run best efforts. always put the most effort in the latter part of your routine - when your tired. Do not show up unless you know you can pass the 4 mile x country run
What specific footwear would you recommend for running on cross country ground

Dil

Reaction score
There’s a lot of mil-prep training plans online (along with nutritional plans) to assist you in your progress, which aren’t too expensive. (No expert) Physicality-wise try build yourself a good aerobic base, strength and conditioning in the legs, solid core and upper strength (including grip). Recommending a program depends on where you’re at currently fitness-wise. To give you in idea - (I’m not doing PRAC) but I’ve been told to look at reaching 6min/miles, 40-50 press-ups, 60+sit-ups and 5-10+ pull-ups as a ‘good start’. Look at some circuits as well. These are often several short exercises bunched together to signify ‘1 Round’ which is done for multiple rounds (depending on fitness levels), I.e

5 Rounds of:

20-30pushups,

30-50 squats

30-50 sit-ups

= 1 Round

You’ll need fitness to improve cardiovascular endurance, you’ll need both to condition your body and all three to condition your mind.

Their aren't pressups and sit-ups any more . It's a 2 km run mid thigh pull med ball throw fam run and steeple chase

5 Rounds of:

20-30pushups,

30-50 squats

30-50 sit-ups

= 1 Round

There isn't any pressups or sit-ups part of prac any more . It is 2km run , steeple chase fan run , mid thigh pull, and med ball throw

Dil

Reaction score
Correct but you 110% need to train for press ups and sit ups for Depot. I passed PRAC in Dec
Could you give any advice how I should be training . Also what did your training look like when preparing for prac ?

San Carlos

Reaction score
Hi mate there are a few really good posts on here about prep. Check out any posts by @Coachmikechadwick or @Snows or @PhysMan

You can use the search tool here to find their stuff

But essentially I hammered the running. I had a mix of sprint/interval sessions, hill sprints, and the longer steady 6 milers. The hills you run on PRAC are not to be underestimated so get used to hills. Apart from running my phys plan focused on decent all round strength work. Lots of press ups, pull ups, dips, leg work.

Read these posts

https://www.paras.uk/threads/creating-a-training-plan.203/

https://www.paras.uk/threads/creating-a-training-plan.203/

https://www.paras.uk/threads/general-military-fitness-plan.72/

Reactions: Dil

Dil

Reaction score
Hi mate there are a few really good posts on here about prep. Check out any posts by @Coachmikechadwick or @Snows or @PhysMan

You can use the search tool here to find their stuff

But essentially I hammered the running. I had a mix of sprint/interval sessions, hill sprints, and the longer steady 6 milers. The hills you run on PRAC are not to be underestimated so get used to hills. Apart from running my phys plan focused on decent all round strength work. Lots of press ups, pull ups, dips, leg work.
Did you go to the gym or was it all bodyweight?