Training plan help

Jonesy02

Reaction score
Hi everyone ive recently started training to join the royal marines, trying to build up my push ups, pull ups and sit ups using this plan:

Diamond push ups until failure
Normal push ups until failure
Wide grip push ups until failure
(30 second after each set, 1min break after each cycle, do this 3×.)

Pulll ups 5,4,3,2,1
Negative pull ups 5,4,3,2,1
Reverse pull ups max sets 6,5,4,3,2,1
90 second rest between each set

40 sit ups
25 lying leg raises
20 hold onto pull up bar, knee to chest.
2min rest then repeat again

Monday: above workout at 5am, Slow 30min run at 8pm
Tuesday:5am: Interval run - 5×2min, 1min rest between
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: Do above workout at 5am, then slow 30min run at 8pm.
Friday: 5am - Interval run - 5×2min sprints, 1min rest between
Saturday: above workout at 5am, Slow 30min run at 8pm
Sunday: Interval run at 5am - 5×2min, 1min rest in between.

But since the army has changed their fitness tests, figured this plan wouldnt carry over, but is there anyway i could pass using calisthenics, i also have a 20kg weighted vest if weighted calisthenics would be better or would i have to join a gym, cheers.

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
It’s definitely transferable to prep for the Paras. Just add in more long distance runs out to 6 miles and keep at it

Chelonian

Reaction score
Could be relevant but I have 0 idea how to post it :)
I’ve copied and pasted his training plan below.

A quick overview: Arny01 is a former Army infanteer and also has a long background in rugby training. He devised this plan for his then sixteen-year-old son during his application for Royal Marines. The lad passed his PRMC and successfully completed RT. Feedback from many RM candidates since 2017 has been very positive.

Obviously it was designed to address requirements for the four day PRMC at CTCRM but there will certainly be elements which are equally useful for PRAC.

Disclaimer: PRAC hadn't been invented in my day.

Although I haven't heard from Arny01 for some time I'm sure he'll be happy for me to copy and paste the plan here. He's a top bloke.

Mon Am. 2 x BFT. Mon Pm. APFA

Tue Am. 8 mile under 1 hour. Tue Pm Gym

Wed Am. Rest.

Thurs Am. Hill sprints. Thurs pm. Swim

Fri Am. 5 mile at 8 min/mile. Fri Pm. Gym.

Sat. Rest

Sun Am. 8 mile under 1 hour. Sun Pm. Gym.

Ok I'll explain the programme in detail for you to work it to suit you. Monday's, 2 x BFT will improve your speed, strength and V02 max for the 1.5 sprint and bleep test. The APFA in the evening is a single beep test, 1 set of press-up, sit-up, and pull ups. It is a test, and replicates the Wednesday of PRMC to the letter, focus on your form, for the exercises lads ok. Record you results lads, on the both 1.5m sprints, write them down so you can see your improvements.

8 mile best effort, speaks got itself really, my lad used an app called endomondo, plugged his headphones in. And the app would tell him how quick, he was running each mile.

Gym session. Get yourself a 10 kg weighted vest. Warm up 2000m in under 10 mins on a rower. Then do. To failure

3 x sets of weighted vest press-up

3 x sets of weighted vest sit up

3 x sets of weighted vest pull up.

3 x sets body weight press up

3 x sets body weight sit up

3 x sets body weight pull up

3 x sets of assisted press up

3 x sets of half sits

3 x sets of pull up

Then finish with, 10 min AMRAP of

10 squats

10 lunge

10 box jumps to 24" box.

Hill sprint day is a massive hang out lads.

Warm up. 10 mins at 8 min/mile

20 x 100-150m hill sprints. Walk down. Make sure the hill is steep as possible lads, do them in sets of 5, but on the second and third set, to do 10 squat, 10 lunge after each hill sprint. Walk round for 5 mins at the end, then run 3 miles as fast as you can using endomondo. Aim for 7:30 min/mile. You leg strength and muscle endurance, will sky rocket, helping you for bottom field/endurance course.

Swim 100m x 8 sets. Rest 2 mins after each 100m effort

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
It’s definitely transferable to prep for the Paras. Just add in more long distance runs out to 6 miles and keep at it
is 6 miles the max distance we should be running or is further the better?

G87

Para Reg
Reaction score
Depends on the individual. In depot ur run distance will increase over the weeks to about 8 milers plus all the hills they’ll mix in. I was hitting about 8 miles prior to depot and it didn’t do me any harm. Just slow and steady state pace.

Apex303

Reaction score
If you're going above 6 keep it at a steady pace
Under 6 work on making it a tempo

I would say a decent 6 miler would put you in good stead. 5k balls out and fartlecks will help aswell.

Dot

Reaction score
If you're going above 6 keep it at a steady pace
Under 6 work on making it a tempo

I would say a decent 6 miler would put you in good stead. 5k balls out and fartlecks will help aswell.
What were the runs like in depot when you were there mate? Distance etc?

Apex303

Reaction score
What were the runs like in depot when you were there mate? Distance etc?
I think it differs for each platoon. But alot of the early weeks were circuit based. Look up fintan circuit on the RM forum. Tabbing usually once or twice a week and started at 4 miles. You really don't need to tab before depot just run and strengthen your legs

A fair amount of fartleck, if you're tabbing and get to a hill you'll walk up the hill. If you're running you'll get thrashed on the hill. I found tabbing mentally rewarding in a way. Work hard when running and you get the rest when walking (although the walking is very quick and your calves will burn) just stay up the ass of the man in front.

Your body will be overtrained so just focus on being all round fit and injury free.

Leg strength wise - running, squats, lunges, burpee, step ups, split squats.

Dot

Reaction score
Cheers mate. Stupid question but how long do the PT sessions last? An hour?

Apex303

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't say. I would imagine roughly an hour. Depends what you're doing. When doing it though it feels like it will never end.

Bongo

Para Reg
Reaction score
Depends what the sesh is Some of the P COY beat ups are very long and intense but you will be built up to this. You can be expected to be up at 0600 and not getting your head down until 2200 providing your admin for the next day is all done. Long days mostly outside so you’ll be doing phys without even realising

Newt

Reaction score
Also look at @PhysMan posts in the workout thread for ideas. I tend to mimic them a lot and they are top