Upper body

Atom

Reaction score
Keen to hear how everyone is doing with regards to their upper body strength ahead of training.

Are you all just focusing on press ups and pull ups or incorporating free weights as well

Dan

Reaction score
The majority of my upper workouts consist of pushups and pushup variations, pull-ups, and banded pull-ups along with dips. Other than that I usually do barbell shoulder press, rows, bench press, and other free weight exercises.

Dot

Reaction score
Much the same for me. I’ve also gotten into the habit of smashing press ups thought out the day. Sounds stupid but it helps, even whilst the kettle is boiling I’ll hammer out a load :ROFLMAO:

A few months ago I was maxing out at about 50 in two minutes now I am over 70 in two minutes

Reactions: Dan

Snows

Reaction score
Keen to hear how everyone is doing with regards to their upper body strength ahead of training.

Are you all just focusing on press ups and pull ups or incorporating free weights as well
Obviously I'm not training for this, but my 2p:

I trained for all my recruit stuff doing 95% bodyweight exercises for strength. I later learned, from advice and trial and error, that by far the most effective strength training is explosive compound free weight exercises: clean and jerk, deadlifts, bench press, various others. Powerlifting, in short. HOWEVER, they are also the most effective way of injuring yourself. Doing them consistently requires really good technique that most don't develop or maintain, and instead pick up various niggles or injuries. That incurs additional time resting, doing stretches or recovery, etc.

Personally I think the most efficient method (i.e. overall improvement while minimising downtime) is probably still bodyweight, but that totally depends on how experienced or diligent you are with doing the free weights properly and injury-free.

Atom

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve recently dusted off a dumbbell set that has lay dormant in my garage for years and plan on incorporating them into my routines. I’m aiming to build workable strength to my arms, back and shoulders and core. It’s surprising how many killer sessions you can find with just simple dumb bells

Aceofspades

Reaction score
Do not neglect your back,shoulders or core, it was an interesting experience moving around with a bergen on for the first time.