Your Workout Today

PhysMan

Reaction score
Quite a long one today:

- 3 mile warm up run
- 20x 5-10-15 Pull-Ups, Press-Ups, Squats (like in Murph)
- Tabata KB Swings
- Tabata Sandbag Clean & Press
- 3 mile cool down run

90 secs plank at the end. I have a new rule now which is to do MINIMUM of 1x 90 sec plank every day except rest day, not including my sessions which actually target Core. This is because I've noticed I wrap on Core more often than I probably should - I probably only train/target my Core maybe once per week on average - so at least if I make a habit of doing a 90 second plank every session then it's like a fallback. Even if I wrap on core for a week I've still done 9 minutes of plank. Some weeks I'll do a lot more, I'll do a whole 45 minute core circuit, but the planks will still be in there too.

Peppy

Reaction score
Quite a long one today:

- 3 mile warm up run
- 20x 5-10-15 Pull-Ups, Press-Ups, Squats (like in Murph)
- Tabata KB Swings
- Tabata Sandbag Clean & Press
- 3 mile cool down run

90 secs plank at the end. I have a new rule now which is to do MINIMUM of 1x 90 sec plank every day except rest day, not including my sessions which actually target Core. This is because I've noticed I wrap on Core more often than I probably should - I probably only train/target my Core maybe once per week on average - so at least if I make a habit of doing a 90 second plank every session then it's like a fallback. Even if I wrap on core for a week I've still done 9 minutes of plank. Some weeks I'll do a lot more, I'll do a whole 45 minute core circuit, but the planks will still be in there too.
Stupid question but what does tabata mean mate

PhysMan

Reaction score
Stupid question but what does tabata mean mate

It's a type of interval training. 8 sets of 20 secs max effort work, 10 secs rest. So a total of 4 mins.

Good little way of smashing yourself on something quite quickly.

Scottygg123

Reaction score
Currently following a program I came across which was made by a serving royal marine last nights workout was simple but effective

Warm up 5 Rounds:
15 press ups
15 Jump lunges
15 Air squats
200m run
Workout as many rounds as possible in 30mins:
5 burpees
10 press ups
15 air squats
400m sprint

Tonight:
4 miler first mile at 7:30 pace and increase until the last mile is as quick as I can hold.
3xmax pull ups
3xmax press ups

PhysMan

Reaction score
Not posted in a while, been sharing them on RM forum but not here. Busy few weeks of phys.

This morning:
2km easy jog to warm up
5x 20 KB Swings, Press-Ups, Sit-Ups, Squats

Absolutely gassed compared to usual, probably due to the 22 miles of running and 3 circuits sessions in the last 3 days!

However, planning another short, sharp Circuit for later because not feeling particularly sore or worn out, just a bit fatigued. All about increasing that work capacity. Not confirmed yet but something along the lines of:

20-15-10-10-15-20
- Alternate KB Snatch
- Press-Ups
- Sandbag Clean & Press

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
getting back into my phys. 6 mile x-country run this morning followed by bastards, press ups and sit ups. Blowing the cob webs off.

Aldo

Reaction score
6 miles this morning in 43 minutes , which is my personal best.

Will do some strength work later.

Reactions: Dil

PhysMan

Reaction score
37 miles done this week, an all-time high, plus about 5 circuits sessions not including today.

Today I was almost going to give myself an extra rest day (Mondays are my set rest days) but I got a grip of myself and decided low-intensity mobility strength work is still better than nothing.

So I did a steady 2 miler warm up (included in the 37 this week) followed by some un-timed, un-measured sets of:

- Turkish Get Ups (16kg KB)
- Offset Sandbag Squats (sandbag on one shoulder)
- Offset Farmer's Walks (sandbag in one hand)
- A little bit of Yoga/Flexibility stuff
- Single Arm Overhead Walking Lunges (16kg KB)
- Alternating KB Snatch
- Bodyweight Curtsy Lunges

Basically a load of stuff I never do. No format, no set numbers or timings, just kind of went with the flow and chilled out, barely broke a sweat the whole session, but feel better for it.

Aldo

Reaction score
4 mile best effort this lunch time with hills.

This evening 8 rounds of
20s Burpees, 10s Rest
20s Sprints, 10s Rest
20s Push Ups, 10s Rest
20s Sprints, 10s Rest
20s Burpees, 10s Rest

PhysMan

Reaction score
10 Miler with a mate into the Arctic Wind haha.

Was going to do a circuit later but I'll knock that on the head and shift it to a double cheeky one tomorrow, yesterday's GrizzPhys one looks quite naughty. Going to do another ROMWOD mobility session this evening

PhysMan

Reaction score
3 Mile Fartlek to warm up

40-35-30-25-20-15-10
- Deficit Press-Ups
- Butterfly Sit-Ups/Leg Raises (alternate each set)
- KB Swings @16kg
- Squats

Planning to double tap today so this evening will be:
- 12 Pull-Ups
- 4 mile easy run
- 12 Pull-Ups
- Tabata Alternate KB Snatches
- 12 Pull-Ups
- Tabata Lunges @20kg Sandbag
- 12 Pull-Ups

PhysMan

Reaction score
40-35-30-25-20-15-10
- Press-Ups
- Butterfly Sit-Ups
- KB Swings
- Lunges/Squats (Lunges on Even Numbers, Squats on Odd Numbers)
- 10 Pull-Ups between every round (for a total of 70)

Despite being mostly bodyweight this session ended up feeling quite pumpy like a strength session. I aimed to do the Press-Ups and Pull-Ups under control as if they were to a bleep which definitely enhanced the pump. The rest was done as fast and explosive as possible.

Tonight will be an easy 3 miler at about 6pm and a ROMWOD at about 10pm before shower and bed.

Dil

Reaction score
Am :
5 X 12 bench press
5 X 12 incline press
5 X 12 dumbell press
5 X 10 dumbell fly's
5 X 12 dumbell curls with tricep dips
4 X 12 hammer curls
5 X 12 tricep pushdown

Pm : need to do
6 mile run

Aldo

Reaction score
30x press ups
36x situps
30x squats
30x split leg Squats
30x steps
15x dorsal raises
90second active rest jogging on the spot in between sets.

Finished off with the 2 km best effort run. Time really coming down

PhysMan

Reaction score
Few hills days this week with a serving RM mate preparing for a course. About 20-25km each day. Didn't get much rest between them, the details of which I'll keep close to my chest but let's just say an Airbnb in a student city the week the bars reopened meant a few sleepless nights and the hip flexors engaged...

Got back home and felt a punishment was needed so did the 'Prince Philip' tribute thrashing yesterday. 10 rounds of 6 Pull-Ups, 19 Bastards, 21 Sit-Ups for Time (his birthday being 19/06/1921). Aim for sub-30 mins. Followed by some Assault Bike stuff.

Today was a low intensity strength session just getting the body back into lifting movements, no real heavy weights thrown around, decided to focus instead on Form and Mobility before ramping the weight up over the next couple weeks.

Tomorrow yet to be planned but probably going to do gym-based cardio, probably a lot of Assault Bike and Ski Erg.

I have a confession to make, after juggling two applications between Para and rejoining RM I went with the latter and start at Lympstone quite soon to see through a goal that has eluded me for some years now. However I will aim to stay on this forum up to that point and as/when I get time thereafter, to discuss Phys and maybe join in the fieldcraft threads too.

On the RM subject, the news has broken that the RM forum is soon to close down. As a result I've invited the regular contributors on their Sister Thread to this one (the much older established thread I pinched the idea from when I started this one) so perhaps we'll see some more members coming along and contributing their daily sessions in here fairly soon. There's some very knowledgeable people on there such as sports therapists and PTs (both civilian and military) so hopefully we can grow this thread more and more.

PhysMan

Reaction score
Today's session was an absolute cardio conditioning gym blast as planned:

- 5 mins air bike warm up at 65-70rpm

- 8x 30:15 intervals (30 work, 15 rest, for 8 rounds, like a longer Tabata) of all of the following:
- Air Bike
- Ski Erg
- KB Swings @16kg
- Battle Ropes
- Bastards
- Mixed Core (alternate Hanging Knee Raises with various planks, did Plank, Box Plank, Spider Plank etc)

mace

Reaction score
Well hello hello! Copy-paste I guess until the 21st of June :(

This morning:
A, After the usual warm-up I spent 10 minutes on the non-motorised Curve treadmill to work on my running form followed by sprints on a normal treadmill (2% incline) so my speed is fixed. I did 6 sprints at 16 km/h for 1:30. 3 minutes rest between the sets. It was challenging but doable. HR was in 85-90% of HRmax during the sprints. The 3 minutes of rest was adequate to recover it under 65% before the next sprint.
B, 3 sets of chin up clusters, 3 mins rest between sets and 30 seconds intrasets: 13 (9+4)
C, Feet to beam: 3x10, 1 min rests but couldn't do them unbroken due to being too scared of slipping off the pull-up bar while being inverted. I miss the scaffolding.

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Today's session was an absolute cardio conditioning gym blast as planned:

- 5 mins air bike warm up at 65-70rpm

- 8x 30:15 intervals (30 work, 15 rest, for 8 rounds, like a longer Tabata) of all of the following:
- Air Bike
- Ski Erg
- KB Swings @16kg
- Battle Ropes
- Bastards
- Mixed Core (alternate Hanging Knee Raises with various planks, did Plank, Box Plank, Spider Plank etc)
How do you find the air bike? nails?

DannyMac

Para Reg
Reaction score
Just cracked a 4 miler this morning. Decent route through forest area with a few hills.

PhysMan

Reaction score
How do you find the air bike? nails?

It's a weird one, was talking about it with @mace the other day over on the RM forum. Some are more nails than others. The one in my gym is horrific, a bloke just this morning was saying it was a different beast to the assault bike he's used elsewhere. Can only get about 20 cals out per minute on this one if you're fit whereas some bikes you can get 50+ in the same time frame. Gym owner told me today this one is 50/50 legs to arms whereas some are configured like 70/30 or 60/40.

But basically long dit short, yeah it's fucking nails!